• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship What am I doing wrong?

sapper12b

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2009
Wyoming
So im right handed shooting off of just a front rest and I am pulling to the right. Checked my zero off of a front and rear bag and its dead on off the bench. Im not off to far about 1/2" at 100yd with .22lr , But its to much for me am I pulling the trigger to hard?
Thank

Re: What am I doing wrong?

you answered your own question, more or less. either that or too much finger on the trigger, and not enough follow through.

don't forget the .22 has a longer dwell and lock time, combined with any shooting form glitches could add up quickly. add in a small breeze, and 1/2" is bad at all.

maybe you aren't doing anything wrong and the poi is moving alittle when your off the rear bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very possible I'll try harder on my follow threw sucks.
</div></div>

Don't try harder, try smarter. Since the bullet will always go in the direction the bore is pointed, not hitting where aimed is all about you not knowing and/or being able to maintain control of where the firearm is pointed until the bullet has cleared the bore.

From what has been gathered, trigger control, parallax, NPA, and follow-through come to the top of a multitude of problems which will preclude you from understanding where the gun is pointed.

Remember too, if you desire all bullets to impact at the same point, you've got to make your position consistent to a molecular level. And, since sight misalignment or parallax creates angularity which increases bullet misplacement with distance, making sight alignment consistent is most important.

Call your shots. It's effective for correct shooter/target analysis. For example, shots on-call but not where desired suggests a properly zeroed gun, but, something wrong in another arena where you'll need to toubleshoot.

BTW, a half inch off at 100 with a 22LR is not much of an error. Was the error consistent, that's to say, did you shoot good groups which were only about a half inch off where aimed? Also, what size groups? Must have been pretty small to discern a half inch error.

Well the group was more on the X ring with a small group off to the right more in the X. I know im not using match grade ammo whic would help. Over all size of the group was about 1".

Not trying to put you guys on just trying to get one group instead of 2

Shooting a .22lr prone at 100 yds is very revealing in technique. When I shoot my Anshutz 1913 (with match aperture sights), and I take a shot when the sight picture is not perfect, well, the target will usually show it as a 9. Not a 10, even when I've been punching X's. A little change in cheek pressure, sling position/tension or head position will move the POI. Also doesn't take much wind to drift it .5" at 100 in smallbore.

if I'm understanding you right, you have 2 groups at 100y instead of the only one that you should have right?

Something similar happens to me sometimes and it's a result of body position. I have a bad habit of shooting 2 rounds and then taking my head of the stock. Belive it or not that will change the way my eyes line up with my cross hairs and target and my third round will be just slightly off from the first 2 hits.

Try this, once you're locked in behind the rifle, shoot all rounds without moving AT ALL, not even taking your head off the stock to pick up brass, make scope adjustments or load the next round/magazine in the rifle. That should help. It did for me.

let us know how it goes.

R.

What type of .22 are you shooting? Being a 1/2 inch off at 100yds with a .22 and u are'nt shooting match ammo would make me quite happy. Especially that both groups are within an inch.

Okay here is a up date. I Have tried evrything you all have offered from the follow threw to not locking onto the rifle and not moving untill all rounds are fired. I would like to thank you all, it has help get back to where I need to be still not a 100% but thats why we keep shooting.
Thanks,
Nick