• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What am I missing?

nikonNUT

The harbinger of... making things not work anymore
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 6, 2019
    Gunlandia
    Hey all! I'm sure this has been asked 10000 times before but I'm getting in to reloading for my .338LM and wanted to know what gear I am missing. I've reloaded for pistol a lot but this is all new. What I have...
    Forster Co-Ax
    Forster Micormeter seating die
    Forster F/L sizing die
    RCBS Chargemaster Lite
    Various case prep and deburring tools
    Sinclair chamber length gage
    Sinclair shoulder bump gage
    12" digital calipers (from my past life as a machinist)
    C.O.A.L checker cleaning rod clamps
    Case trimmer
    What I know I need...
    Tumbler
    Ogive measuring gage
    Boolets
    Powdah
    Primers
    Books! LOTS of books!

So anything else I am missing? Thanks for taking the time with a nOOb!

Unless you're gonna prime on the Co-ax (which doesn't look fun to me), you'll want a separate priming system. I really like the 21st century primer if you can't spring for that new $600 one lol.

I don't see Brass on the list, but I assume you're tracking this lol

If you're going for precision I might recommend a way to set neck tension. My Forster FL sizing die's expander ball sets neck tension to 2 thou on my .223, but 3 thou on my 6.5cm...which is not where I want to be, so I run Sinclair/21st Century expander mandrels. My 6.5cm brass seems to have more springback to it.

I also would include a notebook dedicated to the rifle. Keeping a lot of notes really helps me. I suck at remembering anythign and sometimes do random shit so having it wrote down helps later on.

Reloading block or tray for .338 sized cases.

Don't forget Tumbler Media. I use cheap white rice for really dirty stuff, and corn cob media for polishing.

Ammo box or book. Please don't dump your precision made .338 rounds into an ammo can lol

Thats all I can think of right now

Yes, a loading tray is on my list and I'll look into the neck tension stuff. Thank you! At first I'm just going for a better "fit" to "my" rifle before I get crazy and I will be priming on the press at first as its there an included in the price. I do have brass and will be processing as soon as I can! Great information. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
    If you don’t let your brass get into the dirt and such, you can wait a bit on tumbler. Just wipe brass off with a rag.

Considering it’s a 338 LM, I’m assuming you won’t be running through rounds so fast you can’t stop them from hitting the ground.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    i heard it can make a huge difference if you find somebody to show you (rather than learning from videos).
    this is coming from somebody that doesn't reload. i have to have something to blame for any "flyers". :p

Imperial size die wax

Doh! Can't forget case lube! Stupid question... How does one apply it? Dip out a blob, smear it on the hands like pomade, and roll the cases between my hands?
    If you don’t let your brass get into the dirt and such, you can wait a bit on tumbler. Just wipe brass off with a rag.

Considering it’s a 338 LM, I’m assuming you won’t be running through rounds so fast you can’t stop them from hitting the ground.

Not much rapid fire going on for sure!
    Skip the books
    Skip the tumbler for a while.

Well, I feel like an idiot! So I forgot I have a 3L heated ultrasonic cleaner from my razor restoring days (50 to 100 years of old soap and whiskers is nasty!)... That should do the trick shouldn't it?

Doh! Can't forget case lube! Stupid question... How does one apply it? Dip out a blob, smear it on the hands like pomade, and roll the cases between my hands?

Not much rapid fire going on for sure!

Well, I feel like an idiot! So I forgot I have a 3L heated ultrasonic cleaner from my razor restoring days (50 to 100 years of old soap and whiskers is nasty!)... That should do the trick shouldn't it?

If you want to wait on it, it should. I seriously wipe my cases down with a rag as I don’t feel like waiting (I have a brass catcher).

The only practical reason we clean is to make sure the brass functions in our dies and chamber. Everything else is aesthetics.

If you want to wait on it, it should. I seriously wipe my cases down with a rag as I don’t feel like waiting (I have a brass catcher).

The only practical reason we clean is to make sure the brass functions in our dies and chamber. Everything else is aesthetics.
    Same.
    I very rarely clean my cases more than a quick wipe off if needed

I real like imperial.
    just smear a smidge on the case sides.

(y) Fair point. I'm not a fan of waiting either :)

I just swipe my forefinger over the wax and rub my thumb and second finger over the forefinger to pick up some of the lube and then just rub those fingers over the case before it goes in the shell holder. It takes very little. It’s been awhile but I think I only have to refresh the fingers about every five rounds or so. Don’t use too much.

I just make my own lube. 99% alcohol and pure lanolin oil, at about a 10:1 ratio I think. If youre just doing 338 then I suppose its not really much faster than imperial wax, but it sure is cheap, and nice for bulk loading.

I throw 50-100 cases in a plastic container, cases on their sides. spray it in, shake it up, spray it, shake it up, size.

A powder scale.

A way to anneal your brass, or send it to someone who does it.

A powder scale.

A way to anneal your brass, or send it to someone who does it.

You can't reload without a powder scale. You can reload without annealing.

I would not tell a new reloader that they have to get an annealer. Reloading can be overwhelming to get into, and trying to do too many things at the start can be detrimental. Focus on the critical first, then move into the finer points after you've got the critical things down and are comfortable with the process.

Are y’all saying a beam scale in addition to the charge master? Or does the charge master fit the bill?

Thank you to all for the input! I found some H1000 and Reloader 33 as well as Federal 215M primers and 300gr SMKs. I will start making my own case lube when 99% iso is available again for a reasonable price. In the meantime I grabbed imperial wax and a bottle of Dillon spray lube to see what I like. Need a different set of calipers as mine have thick jaws (12" run a .157 jaw) and won't fit the Sinclair compairitor. Found out I need the LS jaws for the Forster too... Grabbed a Harvey De Primer as well. That tool makes a LOT of sense!

Last edited:
    So it's a little janky but the portion of my shop that I was going to set-up for reloading has some serious structural (read squirrels wrecked havok with everything) issues so I have a lot carpentry to do... In the meantime I remembered the spare bedroom / computer room has a crappy little cubby style sortage unit. Added a 4 x 6 to it where the press will set (need to paint it), lagged the 4 x 6 on both ends, and lagged the unit to the wall, and mounted the press. Pretty damn solid to be honest and TV, climate control, and the storage nooks are nice! Just need to add a power strip and see if it works!
    Forster.jpg

Last edited:
    I just make my own lube. 99% alcohol and pure lanolin oil, at about a 10:1 ratio I think. If youre just doing 338 then I suppose its not really much faster than imperial wax, but it sure is cheap, and nice for bulk loading.

I throw 50-100 cases in a plastic container, cases on their sides. spray it in, shake it up, spray it, shake it up, size.

I do the same...except I throw my brass in a big freezer ziplock...squirt squirt squirt....shake it....move them around in my hands....get the lube everywhere...then resize.

So it's a little janky but the portion of my shop that I was going to set-up for reloading has some serious structural (read squirrels wrecked havok with everything) issues so I have a lot carpentry to do... In the meantime I remembered the spare bedroom / computer room has a crappy little cubby style sortage unit. Added a 4 x 6 to it where the press will set (need to paint it), lagged the 4 x 6 on both ends, and lagged the unit to the wall, and mounted the press. Pretty damn solid to be honest and TV, climate control, and the storage nooks are nice! Just need to add a power strip and see if it works!

Does the handle clear the die? or is that just the angle and some photo-trickery that I'm seeing?

It is the weird-ness of the handle being tipped back past vertical plus the angle I took the photo at. It clears the die just fine. :)

Reactions: Ryridesmotox
    Well it's starting to look like a reloading room! Or a tweaker shack... Not quite sure yet. :lol:
    reloading bench.jpg

P.S. FYI I'm too fat to be a tweaker!

Reactions: Ravenworks
    I didn't see it mentioned, but a powder funnel will make things easier/faster for you.
    There’s an Area 419 funnel hiding on the upper left hand shelf :)

Last edited:
    I saw the Area 419 box there but didn't zoom in to see that it is a funnel.

I have the same and it is a joy to use. Hard to get excited over a funnel but it is really good.
    Not gonna lie... I got excited over that funnel. :LOL: The machine work is beyond exceptional!

Yay!!! I actually found Retumbo! I think I’ve got the bases covered with Retumbo, H1000, H869, and RL33.

Hey all! I have been successful in getting some rounds made up for a ladder test. They all went bang, I got some good-ish data, and didn't blow my face off in the process! Just wanted to offer a heartfelt thanks for all the help! Thank you!

Hey all! I have been successful in getting some rounds made up for a ladder test. They all went bang, I got some good-ish data, and didn't blow my face off in the process! Just wanted to offer a heartfelt thanks for all the help! Thank you!

Theres a wealth of information for sure. I'm sure you'll have more questions, so don't be afraid to ask

Is there anything more exciting than lighting off that first handloaded round, and everything working like it's supposed too? :)

I'll second the universal decapping tool (I have the Frankfort Armory and it's great) and the neck sizing mandrels. I picked up a set from 21st Century and found my rifle likes the .335" for .003" interference fit.

Giraud makes a great tool with the shoulder comparator on one end and the ogive comparator on the other end.

I did grab a Harvey de primer and love it! Also, went to the range and got and ES of 9 and an SD of 4 on one load. I LOVED that!

Reactions: Howland