• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What am I missing?

DefinitelynotMatthew

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2020
So I just got this and I've been setting it up for hog and coyote hunting. I've got a Harris 30" bipod in the mail and the Hara Arms CQR has come off for now for the bipod. Maybe I will put it back on later. I'm new to hog and dog hunting. I have the Lucky Duck E-caller, and a tripod stand in my cart for after house renovations. What else do you experienced coyote hunters think is vital for a successful hunt?

my gun.jpg

The most important thing u r going to need is strategy in calling in coyotes. It can be frustrating at times, u r going call dogs in from wrong positions in the field, set up in the wrong wind all things take time to learn. Calling in dogs is about one of the fun thing I've done. All I use anymore is a call and a tripod, some camo

Reactions: supercorndogs
Some of the big things to remember. Don't wiggle and fidget, they are very good at seeing moment from a long ways away. They will usually come in on your down wind side, if they are very educated. They will choose to come in through cover a lot of the time also.

Biggest thing your missing is some experience. Don’t be afraid to go see what works and don’t work in your area as a dry run. If your hunting on private property, just go out one night and see what is moving. Set up and scan with your thermals/NV. People hunt with far less and are successful.

If you want to see whats in an area, going out at night with a howler or a siren, and getting them all yipping and howling is a pretty good way.

Positive ID at night can be hard and long range may make other critters look like coyotes. Learn their walk and movement it will help in ID. lasth thing you want to find out is that what you thought was a coyote at 100 yards was a deer at 200 yards.

Another thing is a tripod, makes scanning less fatiguing. I prefer my thermal to be separate from my rifle, so I am not pointing it around while scanning.

Love the Tall swivel Bipods for walking and sitting shooting coyotes at nighttime .
But.. there noisy .. So Pull out those long springs inside the legs on the Tall Harris bipods for night hunting . They will rattle and twang loudly with any movement you do . You Don't need them at all, and they are a detriment, not an asset .
Then do one gorilla tape wrap around the two exterior fold-up springs, to help keep them Quiet also .

Also I like to hike in and out to my chosen spots with bipod Legs extended for quick sit shooting . I have spotted coyotes on the walk-in's and all you have to is just sit quickly down and take a shot .
When getting to your spot to call you can just take off bipod, or just leave on, and move rifle to the Tripod if your using that .

Patience and something comfortable to sit on?
Wind is huge when calling coyotes. They will smell you long before they see you.