• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What ammo for a factory Ruger 10/22?

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
Scope is here.
20 MOA rail shoud be here in a day or 2.
I have a 3,500 rounds of 36gr Federal hollow points, but I know they are not accurate.

Gun is a plain 10/22. What ammo would reliably cycle and be fairly accurate. I know I will need to test.
Probably get 4 or 5 different boxes of some type of match ammo, get a 50 yard zero and then shoot groups at 150 yards and just pick the tightest group.
I see Wolf Match for just under $100 for 500.
I think I can justify about 20 cents a round for something that shoots pretty good.
This is basically for cheap training, positional shooting and "long range" practice. Goal would be 200 yards, but I'd stretch it as far as it will shoot.
Thanks in advance.

Do flat nose bullets cycle well in semi auto? I would try some SK flat nose. They are pretty "cheap" if you can find them.

Since it's a plain jane 10/22, just pick up a couple boxes of every type/brand of ammo you see either in the store, or online. Try it out, some of the cheaper stuff may be suitable for your needs, the lowly CCI std velocity and everything else. You may get lucky and it "love" the cheap stuff.

Eley Tenex is pretty good for tight groups.

What is your definition of accuracy? Standard velocity RN like CCI, federal, etc. should do under an inch at 25 yds. The match grade stuff is expensive and in a stock 10/22, probably will not get much better results. Unless you are a good shot looking for great groups, take the advice above and buy a box each of what you can find and see if your rifle has a preference.

In our stock 10/22, I found CCI mini-mag (40 gr round point) to be just a tick better than most at 50 yards (out of 5 different types of plinking ammo I have) About 1.5 MOA. Tried some SK rifle match, and saw a little better grouping, but not enough to spend the money on. Now in another rifle that has a Fedderson barrel, the SK match is good for just a bit over 1 MOA at 100. Unless you get lucky, the stock barrel is going to be the determining factor

Reactions: Merlin O
I have Custom Shop 10/22.
Eley Tenex and Eley CMP do not feed reliably.
Eley Semi-Auto Benchrest does feed 100% and very accurate.
Pictured from l-r, Tenex, Seni-Auto and CMP.
Target is last match at 50yds.
-Richard

Attachments

• 433DFE20-A2A2-4CB4-B405-DFD1E5A07148.jpeg
    433DFE20-A2A2-4CB4-B405-DFD1E5A07148.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 9D3AAD18-498C-4792-8445-4D773D74D15D.jpeg
    9D3AAD18-498C-4792-8445-4D773D74D15D.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 360
I have Custom Shop 10/22.
Eley Tenex and Eley CMP do not feed reliably.
Eley Semi-Auto Benchrest does feed 100% and very accurate.
Pictured from l-r, Tenex, Seni-Auto and CMP.
Target is last match at 50yds.
-Richard
Target #5 looks like Dick B kickin ass!

I'm guessing a custom shop gun includes a nice barrel, trigger and maybe some aftermarket bolt parts?

Straight bone stock from Ruger.
$600 + ship and FFL from Bud’s before the Panic.
Athlon scope cost more than the Ruger.
Ruger 22 Supressor, loudest sound is the action cycling!

Attachments

• 531F9583-5379-414F-BEDA-6E7372D74F37.jpeg
    531F9583-5379-414F-BEDA-6E7372D74F37.jpeg
    863.4 KB · Views: 190
I hate the basic design with the barrel band. But nice thing about a 10/22 is the aftermarket support. Green Mountain barrel, free float stock and decent trigger = new rifle!

This is a 1965 SN 3xxx with Archangel stock, Volquartsen barrel, etc.

Attachments

• 16279076173706358099812197089790.jpg
    16279076173706358099812197089790.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 282
Reactions: johnnyvw
My old late 60s early 70s 10/22 shot Wolf ammo extremely well, probably one of the most accurate I have shot in it.

Now that it has a new barrel it shoots Center X the best from what I have tried.

Been trying to find some Wolf again to test and see how the new RPRR does with it.

I have a RPRR and was not impressed by the factory barrel, I couldn't find any ammo that grouped under 1" at 50yds. I have heard some RPRR are better than others, but 1-2 MOA seems typical.

I dropped in a Green Mountain and am very happy now. I found most match ammo was around .5" at 50yds and Tenex was in the .3 to .4 when I did my part.

I hate the basic design with the barrel band. But nice thing about a 10/22 is the aftermarket support. Green Mountain barrel, free float stock and decent trigger = new rifle!

This is a 1965 SN 3xxx with Archangel stock, Volquartsen barrel, etc.
I have both of ours in the same stock. With the Fedderon barrel (straight bull barrel) I found just touching the adjustable support pad to the barrel tightened the groups up just a tiny bit

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
Scope is here.
I have a 3,500 rounds of 36gr Federal hollow points, but I know they are not accurate.

Gun is a plain 10/22. What ammo would reliably cycle and be fairly accurate. I know I will need to test.
Probably get 4 or 5 different boxes of some type of match ammo, get a 50 yard zero and then shoot groups at 150 yards and just pick the tightest group.
I think I can justify about 20 cents a round for something that shoots pretty good.
This is basically for cheap training, positional shooting and "long range" practice. Goal would be 200 yards, but I'd stretch it as far as it will shoot.
Thanks in advance.
CCI SV is a good start. My 10-22 Target loves it. Ammo is more about what you can find. Wolf Match Target, and extra, SK std+. Eley target and Club are good to start with.
Mark

Reactions: Emerson0311
I shoot a 10/22 stock competition. CCISV has been my best cheap ammo.

Attachments

• 55B59CD0-4289-436B-BF9A-D707CD059DDB.jpeg
    55B59CD0-4289-436B-BF9A-D707CD059DDB.jpeg
    642 KB · Views: 135
  • 3B816B39-2ABB-4AF8-B820-AE9EE9713EBB.jpeg
    3B816B39-2ABB-4AF8-B820-AE9EE9713EBB.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 137
So I shot a few different rounds last night at 50 yards. 10 shot groups.
CCI mini mags shot the best of he ammo I had. Moved to 100 yards and shot a 1 inch wide group 2 inches tall. I'd like to try some standard velocity as so many of you guys have suggested. When I see some I'll get it.
Aguilla 40gr copper plated did ok, but not great.
36gr federal hollow points shot similar.
CCI camo bullets from a milk carton did better than both.
Browning 40gr hllow points at 1,450 printed the biggest group.
CCI minimag shot the best.
Browning 40gr lead round nose bulk box shot almost as good, but every one of hem had to be shot twice to go off.
I'll measure the targets and take pictures tomorrow.

So I shot a few different rounds last night at 50 yards. 10 shot groups.
CCI mini mags shot the best of he ammo I had. Moved to 100 yards and shot a 1 inch wide group 2 inches tall. I'd like to try some standard velocity as so many of you guys have suggested. When I see some I'll get it.
Aguilla 40gr copper plated did ok, but not great.
36gr federal hollow points shot similar.
CCI camo bullets from a milk carton did better than both.
Browning 40gr hllow points at 1,450 printed the biggest group.
CCI minimag shot the best.
Browning 40gr lead round nose bulk box shot almost as good, but every one of hem had to be shot twice to go off.
I'll measure the targets and take pictures tomorrow.
I’ve often found my 100yd groups around 1” wide and 2”+ tall. Higher quality ammo will help that a bit by reducing the extreme spread of velocities.

Mine loves Blazer 40 gr. Posted a 1 hole group when sighting in at an Appleseed event!!

Reactions: Moose
So I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the groups.
The browning 40gr lead round nose not going off was bothering me. I loaded up 10 and shot off the back porch (I live in the middel of nowhere) cycled through 5 and the 5th went off. All looked like light hits from the firing pin.
I've seen the aftermarket pins are beveled. I pulled the gun apart and checked, when I push the pin forward with my finger it stickes out further than the thickness of a 22 rim. I took the pin out and beveled it slightly with 400 grit paper. The tip is probably 75% as thick as it was, I put about a 30° angle on it just to concentrate the strike a little more. Seemed to help, went back out and had 9 out of 10 go off. Still looks like a weak strike, Its a clear hit with sharp edges but it's not really flatening the rim. I've read about guys tightening up the headspace, but not sure if I want to go that crazy. Maybe an aftermarket firing pin and extractor? Maybe a heavier hammer spring and lighter trigger springs? Maybe theres nothing wrong with it now and I just need to shoot it more?
Next time out I will run all of them again and see how it goes.
Thanks guys.

Y'all were 100% correct. Buddy got his hands on some Norma Target 1,100 fps and brought over some CCI standard velocity. SV shot the best. I put up targets made from orange stickers and a hole punch, aim small miss small. Shot 3 shots into the dot and 2 shots gave the group mouse ears. Moved to 200 and shot some steel plates. Stared holding 8 mil and was off the plate by an inch. backed up to 7.5 mil and shot a very nice 9 shot group.
Time to shoot every 10 yards from 10 to 200 and get real dope. Then start shooting positions. Next I want to build a tank trap.
Thank you guys.

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

Reactions: Westcoast308
CCI mini mags 40 gr round nose functions better than anything else i have tried.And head shots on tree rats is no problem at 100.

500rnds of CCI SV and 500rnds of 40gr Blazer came to the house the other day. Buddy also gave me a box of SK semi auto rifle.
Shot 10 shot grous at 50 and then 100. CCI SV and SK semi auto rifle shot like they could have come out of the same box. Blazer shot about the same, but impacted higher at 50 and way higher at 100.

Never mind the cut up groups. We were just looking at group sizes without flyers. Also the Blazer 50 group has a single high flyer. That round misfed and had a slice on the lead. Rechambered and shot it.

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

Mine loves Blazer 40 gr. Posted a 1 hole group when sighting in at an Appleseed event!!
Thank you for suggesting it. It Shoots the same size group as the CCI SV, but has much less drop.
I didnt get to shoot it at 200 because hogs showed up and we changed gears and got lost for 2 hours.

Scope is here.

Thanks in advance.
If it won’t shoot MiniMag HP’s, trade it off

Mini Mags round nose and blazers are all i run in my 10/22 rifles.Been running both for years with no problems.

My old one like American Eagle. My buddy and I always check cci sv and quiet ain't found a gun yet that didn't live both of those

So you had issues with Browning ammo? I had a couple bricks of that...had so many failure to fires in both rifles and pistols that I gave it all to my nephew to run through his revolvers.. Never had any ammo run like that in any of my guns.

The Norma tac 22 is actually really good in my pencil barrel academy special 10/22. It runs great and is cleaner than bulk. Plus it's a hammer in the b14r trainer.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
My Ruger 10/22 race rifle shoots everything I have put in it. It’s utterly reliable. For groups 25-50 yards cci Sv shot well as well as Eley Target. Great shooter for low priced ammo. Would love to get a Volquartsen someday in order to see how good the platform can be.

My Ruger 10/22 race rifle shoots everything I have put in it. It’s utterly reliable. For groups 25-50 yards cci Sv shot well as well as Eley Target. Great shooter for low priced ammo. Would love to get a Volquartsen someday in order to see how good the platform can be.
Skip Volk and step up to Kidd, then move way up to a Joe Chacon build.

I hav a 73 model I got new. It has shot 10’s K’s Federal Lightning, Rem Mohawk when I was young. Those were T $.50/bx then. Now hav full Volq but that old 10/22 will always hav a place

I installed a Volquartsen firing pin and extractor.
Had zero miss fires. But now I get the emptys stuck sideways and getting clamped by the bolt.
CCI SV, Blazer and ELEY practice. Slow and taking a breath between every shot. Gave not so great groups. Eley doesnt cycle well at all.

IMG_4415.jpg

God mad about the ejection and feeding issues. Took a deep breath and mag dumped as many as would cycle. CCI SV and Blazer bored holes for 5 rounds or so until a misfeed. Eley shot better when mag dumped.
Weird
All at 50 yards and 10 shot groups

IMG_4416.jpg

Reactions: Westcoast308
I installed a Volquartsen firing pin and extractor.
Had zero miss fires. But now I get the emptys stuck sideways and getting clamped by the bolt.
CCI SV, Blazer and ELEY practice. Slow and taking a breath between every shot. Gave not so great groups. Eley doesnt cycle well at all.

View attachment 7705638

God mad about the ejection and feeding issues. Took a deep breath and mag dumped as many as would cycle. CCI SV and Blazer bored holes for 5 rounds or so until a misfeed. Eley shot better when mag dumped.
Weird
All at 50 yards and 10 shot groups

View attachment 7705640
You’re this far into 10/22 precision send that rifle to Randy at https://www.ct-precision.com/ I got mine back in 3-weeks to my porch. Have him do the full tuneup, all these groups are shot at 50yrds 5 shot Eley Target and Force groups then 10-shot CCI standard and Green Tag from my bone stock target model except Randy’s tuning. The gun runs flawlessly now too. You’re living the dream shooting off the back porch hopefully I can at my next home.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5036.jpeg