• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are Dimpled Primers?

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
Got home from load testing and noticed a small raised bump in the center of the primer strikes. What causes that? The rifle is stashed back at the bat cave, but I can only imagine that my firing pin must need to be replaced. Incidently, I Was getting MOA with a Bushy carbine & 23.7gr AA2230 @ 2750fps.

Re: What are Dimpled Primers?

All it means is you have some flowback into the firing pin hole:

Load too hot
Pin hole to big
Pin diameter too small
Weak hammer spring
Too light hammer
Soft primers

Does it do it with mil-spec ammo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All it means is you have some flowback into the firing pin hole:

Load too hot
Pin hole to big
Pin diameter too small
Weak hammer spring
Too light hammer
Soft primers

Does it do it with mil-spec ammo? </div></div> Yes, mil-spec L.C. xm193, and some 69gr HPBT handloads , the hottest of which were 24.7gr Tac, 24gr AA2230, 26gr Varget. Fed, WSR, CCI primers.

If everything is "stock", I'd be checking the firing pin size relative to the firing pin hole in the bolt.