• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes What are my options here?

mhptrooper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
Hello-
I am in search for an optic that would be duty-quality, and I want it to meet the following requirements:
--Illuminated Reticle
--HORUS Reticle (I'm sold on this system)
--Front Focal Plane
--Zero Stop
--50mm Objective, Tube diameter of no less than 30mm

I have a budget of no more than $1500...So far, about all I've found to meet all these requirements is the Vortex PST:
Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

However, I'm open to other options, just not familiar with any others who can do all of these. Any suggestions out there for any other optics? Thanks in advance...

I don't think you can get a Vortex with a Horus reticle. I also do not think the PST is going to take a beating. The illumination on a Horus type reticle will be pointless. If I were you I would be looking at either a Bushnell Elite or a Leupold Mark 6 with the LE discount.

Ok--"HORUS like" is what I meant...I stand corrected! This is a new game for me, and I'm learning as I go. I'll look more into the options y'all offered, if anyone else has other suggestions, please let me know...

Last edited:
The closest thing that fits what you want (without zero stop) in that price range is going to be a Falcon from Horus. http://www.horusvision.com/falcon.php
Now, I am not saying these are the best scopes out there; however, I have a Falcon and have even used it on a Barrett .416 and it has never had an issue. I think right now I have it on a 6.5 CM. With that said, some have reported issues with them from much less abuse. Some like them some don't so take that for what it is. The only way you are going to get everything you want is to move up the price point and purchase a high-end scope with a Horus reticle (which will normally cost an additional 400 bucks for the reticle). Like has already been mentioned, I have a few Horus reticle scopes (like an HDMR) and you really don't need a illuminated reticle as they are rather useless in this particular design but that's JMHO. For what you need in your budget, I would suggest you skip the zero stop and illumination and go with an HDMR which is at the top of your budget but if you are set on having all of the requirements you listed, you need to double the budget.....or more

Look for a Vortex Razor 5-20x50. It fits all your requirements and can be found for around your price range here.

Thanks Shoottothrill--I think that's the one I'm liking the most right now...now, I have to just get a few more details at work; or maybe I can get on orders for an extra drill weekend or two...hmmm...

LE/Mil you should call Vortex direct and see what the discount would be on a new scope. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Really man? Like I said, I'm learning, and didn't properly understand...Perhaps instead of making a snide remark you could offer a suggestion that has the potential to save my (or another trooper's) life...

Settle down Francis, its not a snide remark and I am also retired LE so save the drama about a life-saving reticle. Just giving advice on what was asked. These are the only Horus reticle options: H130, TReMoR2, H59, H25, H37, H425, H32, H36, H70, H50, H27, and H102. You did not say what ATrag software you may be using and if you need this in an emergency with zero time to set up a shot its going to be a real PITA to guess at any real distance unless you spend considerable time training with this system. If you are planning on using these for department issued weapons, you might want to check and see what the department authorizes because if you "misinterpret" the hold-over using a scope that is not approved and/or the department does not train with and have a SOP/SOG covering its use and you end up hitting an innocent bystander, the Prosecution and civil attorneys are going to have you for lunch.

No-it was a snide remark, but I do appreciate the input now that you actually have some very good points. This optic will be used on my personal weapon, and I'm still in the process of learning all the ballistic computer stuff so as of right now I can't say. My department is ok with us using this type of setup, our section leader is actually a big fan of the concept; which is where I even heard "HORUS" the first time anyways. I've just swapped over from the entry team, and am a complete blank slate at all of this. I've always wanted to learn this skill set and this site has a plethora of information that I would be crazy to not utilize. Thanks for the intel and the perspective from a liability point of view, from the looks of things lately that will only increase its presence in our line of work...

I'd give a hard look at the new Bushnell Elite G2DMR FFP 3.5-21X50 with 10 mil turrets and zero stop if you can do without an illuminated reticle. Should fit you budget very nicely. Great glass and tracking is spot on.

G2DMR > HORUS screen door.

G2 good. Not too cluttered. Fast. Not $400 reticle.

Bushnell_g2dmr_popup.jpg

HORUS. Good at stopping house flies. adds $400 to a scope

Horus_H-37.jpg

My 2 Cents.

The Vortex 2B is also not cluttered and no up charge.

sub_rzr_f_5-20x50_ebr2b_mrad.jpg