• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are reasonable velocities out of a 22" .260 Rem Gasser?

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    I'm struggling with load development now with a .260 Rem Gas gun and I think it's mostly my own limited experience with reloading for gassers compared to many years w/ Bolt guns. I know intuitively that you're not going to get the same speeds in a semi as you do in a bolt gun, but I can't seem to stop myself from thinking the moderate speed nodes where there is no pressure signs at all are just too slow. In my AI bolt gun, I can easily get 2875 with 140 class bullets (140 Hybrid/139 scenars, etc) with no pressure and good brass life. But in the gas gun, I find I'm constantly fighting pressure in the low 2800s with 130 Berger AR Hybrids and mids 2800s with 123 bullets (123 Scenars/ 123 ELD-Ms, etc).

It seems like mid to high 2700s for the 130s and low 2800s for the 123s keeps the pressure "normal". Is this the normal happy place for most gas guns to run that much slower than a bolt gun? It seems I'm giving up a LOT of performance (wind at long ranges) at those relatively slow speeds. Or Is it just a case of: "It is what it is"?

For that short of a barrel 2750 is about right for a 130 in a gasser.
    You can obviously go faster in a bolt gun but gassers don’t tolerate pressures the same.

I found running a heavy carrier with a tubbs wight, and adjustable gas was key in my 24 inch gasser. (kreiger Barrel) Kept locked longer, Running a 140 Tipped nosler CC at 2700 with no pressure, Also have a 18 inch Proof CF gasser for hunting, running a 143 eldx at 2600ish. Lupua brass with H4350 in both. Im sure i could get more velocity, but they are both absolute hammers, so i leave alone and and put my focus on wind reading.

Going to try some 130 Norma bullets in the 24 inch here soon and see how they do. Hoping i can push them to 2780-2800 ish.

FWIW I just finalized my 22” gas gun load (42.0 gr RL16, 130 ar hybrid at 2.815” in lapua brass with a BR-2) chronoed at 2797 with no pressure signs. It’ll be a while before I get enough firings to wear out the brass to see if its wearing it out prematurely, i just don't have time to shoot that much.

FWIW I just finalized my 22” gas gun load (42.0 gr RL16, 130 ar hybrid at 2.815” in lapua brass with a BR-2) chronoed at 2797 with no pressure signs. It’ll be a while before I get enough firings to wear out the brass to see if its wearing it out prematurely, i just don't have time to shoot that much.
    That's great to know. What barrel are you using? If it's not too much trouble - would be curious to know what your headspace measurement off the shoulder datum line and neck dimensions of your fired brass is.

That's great to know. What barrel are you using? If it's not too much trouble - would be curious to know what your headspace measurement off the shoulder datum line and neck dimensions of your fired brass is.

its a larue barrel/rifle. i'll try and get those numbers for you tonight.

Have you run the drop for a 140 at 2875 vs 2750?

Cliff notes... Your not giving up a whole lot inside 1200 yards.......why trash your brass for no reason

Reactions: MarshallDodge
    Have you run the drop for a 140 at 2875 vs 2750?

Cliff notes... Your not giving up a whole lot inside 1200 yards.......why trash your brass for no reason

Yes, I have and that's an excellent point. You're correct - there is not a lot of difference. Thanks, I think I will start the entire load development process all over again with a much lower starting point. Fortunately, I stocked up on several boxes of Lapua before the $$ went up. ;)