• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are some good tempeture insensitive powders?

Absolution

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
www.instagram.com
Just out of curiousity I was wondering what some of you use. Currently I use 175smk, 41.7gr 4064, LC match Brass, federal 210m primers.

Try Varget. I use it for 5.56 with no noticable change through the year at 600 yard. I've worked up 150's in RL15 and tried a couple of 175 loads and had pressure problems with the 175's and velocity changes with the 150's when the temperature went up from 65 to 95.

Varget is the most common powder used with the 175s and for good reason. The burn rate is ideal for those bullets and its stable. With that being said, the powder you're using now (4064) is a good powder also.

Next time post what cartridge you are talking about. From the projectile and powder weight it appears to be a .308 Winchester. But do not assume everyone uses what you do.

For a lot of cartridges H4895 is very close to Varget and is even more stable. What range of temperature extremes are you concerned with? West Virginia is a lot more moderate and stable tempwise than Minnesota, Wyoming, Montana, or Alaska for example

Here's another vote for Varget, although I just bought some H4895 to experiment with, so I'll let you know if I change my mind.

HRF

Varget for a .308. Excellent powder. Maybe 10fps change from teens to mid 90s. All the Hodgdon extreme line are good for temp insensitive powders.