• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are the must have features of a new short action receiver?

operator45

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2005
San Antonio, TX
We are tooling up to make Remington style short action receivers to fill a void left by the one of the best action makers ever that is now just building rifles. We would like input on some must have features for builders and shooters to have. We will be marketing these actions mostly to builders at first but will at some point make complete rifles. For example we will be using an integral scope rail and will be cutting the action to accept AW mags. We are striving to produce the highest quality and have some very amazing machines that will allow us to manufacture very consistent and repeatable Actions.

So any suggestions are welcome. We are also looking for a name and help with that will land you the first production receiver we make http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ed-name-rifle-action-company-help-me-win.html

Thanks Scott

20 moa built in on the integral rail. Tactical bolt handle, perhaps mod the firing pin and spring, and extractor, maybe include a trued recoil lug..... Hmmmm, what else??? Definitely sounds like you are on the right track.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
side bolt release sako or m16 type extractor?
slant sides of the action instead of that typical tube type Remington from the half mark and up
one part bolt and flutes

Integral lug and more threads in the action for the barrel and a side bolt release would be the must haves for me.

You're on the right track already by taking customer input. ;)

I would say make a 3-lug bolt (60 degree lift). There don't seem to be many companies making short bolt throw actions, but the factory actions with short bolt throws (Tikka, Sako, AI, etc.) always seem to get praised for doing so.

A pinned (not integral) scope base would be preferable, as I'd like to be able to replace the base should it be damaged.

A side bolt release is almost a requirement.

Compatibility with Remington triggers is also a big selling point to me.

I'm not sure what the proper name is, but the kind of ejector that isn't spring loaded, but rather kicks the case out when the bolt is retracted to a certain point. Not sure if that made sense or not....

Integral or pinned 20moa rail, side bolt release, threaded bolt handle, m16 extractor, integral or pinned recoil lug, helical fluted bolt, an aesthetically appealing bolt shroud, and designed around the use of Detachable mags.

Last edited:
For the x47 lapua guys..a smaller diameter firing pin/pin hole to avoid primer flow.

Sure would be cool if someone invented a 700 style action that was "the chassis itself", which received AR15 grips, rear stocks and hand guards. Don't forget the roller bearings in the bolt raceway!

For me a must is a 3 lug (60 degree lift) and I also like the idea of a pinned not integral rail. I do like an integral lug for quick change barrels and a system that would offer a bolt head change for multi caliber gun or if you torch the bolt face.

I'm not sure what the proper name is, but the kind of ejector that isn't spring loaded, but rather kicks the case out when the bolt is retracted to a certain point. Not sure if that made sense or not....

Fixed blade ejector and I agree. I love that feature on my FN. pull bolt back lightly, brass lands right next to my rifle in a little pile

60 degree bolt throw
Floating/changeable bolt head
Integral rail
Longer thread area for the barrel shank.
Heavy duty rear tang.
Sako or m16 style extractor.
Threaded bolt handle.
Side bolt release

Last edited:
Here is how you get backed up 10 months, and everyone on the Hide talking shit about your wait times and broken promises:

Action:

60 degree bolt throw
standard side bolt release
pinned recoil lug
action accepts remington triggers
action accepts remington pic rails
action accepts remington footprint stocks

Bolt:
Fluted

Threaded handle, little knob, remington size to AI/AE/AW ball, best I have ever/going to use. The tactical big gear shifter knobs are the equivalent of bell bottoms, they were cool at the time, but are not functional or attractive, and always get in the way.

THE REVOLUTIONARY IDEA YOUR LOOKING FOR: Make a bolt that you can change the bolt faces on, to make a truly flexible, one does all action (short action). You can then use this action for anything from .223 to .300wsm, just by changing barrels and bolt faces. This is already being done on the New FN rifles and some others. This is going to make other actions obsolete for the cost factor alone. I for one would rather have a switch barrel rifle, in three different calibers. For example, I could have 1 action, 1 stock, 1 scope, 3 bolt faces, three barrels. That is already $3K saved in actions alone for the three different rifles.

Make sure your action will accept 700 stocks, rails, triggers.

DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING:

integral recoil lug, because nothing says retarded like having to send your stocks out to get them machined for your action, i,e, Badger.

integral rail - raw material costs go up, waste material soars, machining time sky rockets and tooling costs out of this world.

As soon as someone makes one of these actions, I am buying stock in the company.

60 Degree Bolt throw. Small firing pin hole. AW/AICS mags.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Fixed blade ejector and I agree. I love that feature on my FN. pull bolt back lightly, brass lands right next to my rifle in a little pile

Bam! Exactly what I was talking about. Thanks!

I also agree with Hasgun. No big ugly bolt knobs. No annoying knurling. A medium smallish smooth ball bolt handle is perfect so long as your bolt throw doesn't feel like a Savage.

I'd vote for:
  • pinned 20 moa base
  • integral recoil lug
  • savage barrel nut for user swapped barrels
  • AW cut
  • REM trigger compatible
  • swappable bolt heads (coned?)
  • side bolt release
  • fluted one piece bolt w/ swappable bolt handle options
  • 60 degree throw
  • blade ejector

To be honest, I am not even sure these are all completely compatible features, but sure would be cool...

Short Action:

Remington Foot Print (of course)
20 MOA Integral Rail (This is not a must, but a recoil lug would be)
Integral Lug
Floating bolt head (similar to Bighorn)
Heavy Duty Extractor
Hand Fitted Bolt
Finish in Melonite (Similar to BAT)

I'm not a smith or engineer so I don't even know if the stuff I listed above is "do'able" in the same action but that would be a nice combination if it was.

**Consistent Quality control should also play a huge part in the product

Last edited:
integral 20moa base, side bolt release, threaded, tactical knob, long tenon, uses rem 700 parts (availability) look cool, good options on coating (cerakote, melonite) smooth bolt 60 degree light lift, small firing pin. and just a clean fit and finish. oh and better extractor, bolt fluting, one piece bolt, heavier rear tang. and ease of taking apart for cleaning.

Last edited:
I agree with you, making one action capable of changing bolt heads without losing accuracy is a great idea, and I agree with everything else you said.

I take your opinion very seriously. Thats why this bothers me The AW cut was very important to me. What are some of the issues you speak of?

Don't use an AW mag, too many issues when you try to use them with bottom metal.

Stick to to a single stack AICS mag.

Don't use an AW mag, too many issues when you try to use them with bottom metal.

Stick to to a single stack AICS mag.

Tha AW magazine is the issue or will my AW cut action have issues with regular AI mags, just becuase its cut for an AW mag?

AW mags don't feed as well in our experience. At least compared to the AICS when used in the same rifle, not bad just not as smooth. If you break it down, you're basically trying the make the round do more movements. Either way works though. The AW mags do come without the spacer though so that is nice.

Coincidentally, I do happen to know someone who designed a 3 lug bolt action on a Rem footprint. It's not easy but it would be better than having a 700 clone. At this point it seems there are more action companies with a 700 clone than without.

Justin

My requirements one custom action are a heavy duty extractor like an M16, a one piece bolt or welded handle, and side bolt stop. I also prefer a straight bolt handle as opposed to rear swept because with the long wide bolt knobs that clear scopes well it puts the knob right where my trigger finger joint needs to be with a rear swept handle.

I could care less if it has a built in recoil lug or integral base, they're nice features but not a requirement for me.

There's quite a few companies that make great actions already and one more isn't going to hurt. That said the first one that comes up with a 60 degree action that doesn't have a heavy bolt lift or suffer from light primer strikes is going to make a shit ton of money. There has to be a way to do it, AI can do it, why can't an aftermarket company do the same?

I'd say:
60* bolt throw, w/o crazy bolt lift
0 or 20 moa integrated rail and recoil lug
side bolt release
m16 extractor
not sure if its possible but have a floating bolt

and surprise me and do something crazy with the thing! Looking forward to this.

Remington mechanics as far as the cocking mechanism and trigger are concerned, but savage mechanics as far as the bolt and bolt handle are concerned(end user-replaceable bolt handle and bolt head-to be able to change the bolt face for various cartridges).
Of course integral rail and recoil lug

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"Must Haves"
1. Side bolt release
2. Some type of extractor that works really well
3. A price that isn't over $1k.....do we really need another one of those?

"Nice to Have"
1. 20 MOA rail (not integral)
2. Pinned recoil lug (not integral)
3. Bolt pre-threaded to accept different bolt knobs (you can even offer optional knob designs for the purchaser to choose from)
Try to avoid the end user/gunsmith having to machine off the bolt knob (like a Remington) if they want a different type of knob

Pinned rail, integral lug(allows for 1/4" more barrel threads), side bolt release, sako extractor, and positive ejection. Basically a tikka with integral lug. 700 footprint, 700 trigger, and 700 barrel threads.

Mauser style ejector. Side bolt release. Integral recoil lug. Square bottom to prevent action torquing. Integral 20moa scope rail. If an action had all of this I would buy it in a heartbeat. Until then I'm using cz actions

Sent from GS3 Synergy

What are the must have features of a new short action receiver?

Here is how you get backed up 10 months, and everyone on the Hide talking shit about your wait times and broken promises:

Action:

60 degree bolt throw
standard side bolt release
pinned recoil lug
action accepts remington triggers
action accepts remington pic rails
action accepts remington footprint stocks

Bolt:
Fluted

Threaded handle, little knob, remington size to AI/AE/AW ball, best I have ever/going to use. The tactical big gear shifter knobs are the equivalent of bell bottoms, they were cool at the time, but are not functional or attractive, and always get in the way.

THE REVOLUTIONARY IDEA YOUR LOOKING FOR: Make a bolt that you can change the bolt faces on, to make a truly flexible, one does all action (short action). You can then use this action for anything from .223 to .300wsm, just by changing barrels and bolt faces. This is already being done on the New FN rifles and some others. This is going to make other actions obsolete for the cost factor alone. I for one would rather have a switch barrel rifle, in three different calibers. For example, I could have 1 action, 1 stock, 1 scope, 3 bolt faces, three barrels. That is already $3K saved in actions alone for the three different rifles.

Make sure your action will accept 700 stocks, rails, triggers.

DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING:

integral recoil lug, because nothing says retarded like having to send your stocks out to get them machined for your action, i,e, Badger.

integral rail - raw material costs go up, waste material soars, machining time sky rockets and tooling costs out of this world.

As soon as someone makes one of these actions, I am buying stock in the company.

Pretty sweet idea but don't know how well it would work out swapping bolt faces. For accuracy anyways.

Last edited:
Like Justin said AW mags don't feed well, they don't always pick up the round correctly, any issue with the stock or DBM causes the rounds to bind up.

There is a reason AI doesn't offer the AW mag for other actions. Your AW cut doesn't fix the issue, it's beyond a simple cut. It involves more than the action. The AW is bonded to the chassis, so it's like its one unit. The stock and DBM matters here making your action look bad. You'll inherit any problems, even from bad gun smithing.

The AICS works, stick with what works. Advertise it as working with an AW and watch your CS problems grow. I know if it's designed to work for an AW I want nothing to do with it. Even if you dropped it in a chassis there is no guarantee it will feed correctly.

I'd begin with what most everyone has said already. Rem 700 footprint and accepts 700 parts, side bolt release. I've never had an integral rail or recoil lug so I can't really give my opinion on that. But the point of replacing the rail if it gets damaged is a good point for pinned as opposed to integral.

I like the concept of the floating bolt heads so they can be changed easily for conversions. AICS mags. Also, I like the idea of dual ports; I wish I had a port on the other side of my action so when shooting from the bench I can see where I'm putting the cartridge when single loading.

Finally, make a LEFTY action too!!

Look at the Kelbly F-class Panda.

Machine it out of steel.
Picatinny rail on top.
Integral recoil lug
M-16 extractor
One-piece bolt with threaded area for your handle of choice
Win 70 Trigger ( the old style )
Throw in a Win 70 safety, or look at the new Armalite ar-30a1 safety ( a modified Mauser ) that locks the firering pin.
Side release
Port large enought to get your fingers in there, with gloves!

Get your action to McMillan and have their "Tactical" stocks fitted, that way nobody b*****s that no stocks fits it.
Or better yet, build a solid and adjustable stock yourself, and sell it as a package, reaping more profits.

Looks like you'll need one model with integrated rail and lug, and another without. My thinking is if myintegrated rail or lug get so beat up as to be unusuable, it might be time to ditch the action anyway.

Pinned rail with choice of slope from 0-40 moa, Side bolt release, 700 footprint, pinned precision lug, floating interchangeable bolt head, barrel nut option, and threaded handle with choice of knob.

Looks like you'll need one model with integrated rail and lug, and another without. My thinking is if myintegrated rail or lug get so beat up as to be unusuable, it might be time to ditch the action anyway.

I'm trying to figure out how one damages it, and what their scope must look like.

How will it be manufactured? CNC from a billet or maybe on a forging? What is your anticipated price range - for me, a must-have is affordability. Are you absolutely married to the M700 foot print?

Many of the features mentioned, while desirable, will affect the cost. While a non-round-tube with an integral recoil lug might be desirable, if machined from a billet, this will result in a lot of wasted material being removed from the raw stock. If you aren't married to the M700 footprint, that will leave you with more latitude on shank length, lug placement, etc., etc.

For me personally, I would want controlled round feed and an external (Winchester or Mauser) extractor. Fixed ejector, and a side bolt release. Not sure if anyone is making one, but I would want a 90 degree sear and striker engagement as opposed to the ramped M700 style. I would like a safety on the cocking piece that locks it back like a Winchester/Mauser. Basically, I want a Model 70 with the rear and front receiver rings the same height and diameter with a solid top and a minimal port.

Barrel nuts can be used with any action - they aren't an action feature.

Pretty sure my preferences are the minority though.

If something like this was available I'd buy it:

60° bolt throw
One piece bolt, fluted
Make it light. Most of your accuracy is in your barrel and most actions have too much meat on them. Large ejection port, flat on the opposite side, round profile to remove as much material as possible. Integral recoil lug so you get more barrel thread engagement. The lug only needs to go down .25" or so below the action. This means less material to remove.
Make the base removable, use 7075 alum to make it lighter, pin it and use 8-40 screws.
Rem footprint, takes rem aftermarket triggers.
Offer a good coating. I would have to research it but maybe nitride it and then coat the bolt and outside surfaces with cerakote???

Give me a Win 70 controlled round feed in a Remington foot print and I would be a happy camper. Depending on price I would probably buy 2-5 actions short and long.

How will it be manufactured? CNC from a billet or maybe on a forging? What is your anticipated price range - for me, a must-have is affordability. Are you absolutely married to the M700 foot print?

Many of the features mentioned, while desirable, will affect the cost. While a non-round-tube with an integral recoil lug might be desirable, if machined from a billet, this will result in a lot of wasted material being removed from the raw stock. If you aren't married to the M700 footprint, that will leave you with more latitude on shank length, lug placement, etc., etc.

For me personally, I would want controlled round feed and an external (Winchester or Mauser) extractor. Fixed ejector, and a side bolt release. Not sure if anyone is making one, but I would want a 90 degree sear and striker engagement as opposed to the ramped M700 style. I would like a safety on the cocking piece that locks it back like a Winchester/Mauser. Basically, I want a Model 70 with the rear and front receiver rings the same height and diameter with a solid top and a minimal port.

Barrel nuts can be used with any action - they aren't an action feature.

Pretty sure my preferences are the minority though.

Summed up all my question in the first sentence.