• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are the pros and cons of 300RUM

uafgrad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2004
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have a trade offer that would bring a 300RUM rifle to me. I really like the configuration of the rifle.
I am relatively unfamiliar with the 300RUM chambering though.

I understand the average barrel life is in the range of 4000-4500 rounds. Other than that I am on a learning quest.

Re: What are the pros and cons of 300RUM

I don't think you can get 4000 rounds out of an ultra mag.

Lots of recoil, lots of noise, lots of energy, can shoot VERY far with heavy, high BC bullets. You can always convert it to .338 Edge when ready to step it up.
Expensive to shoot, expensive to reload but can always be used as an anti-tank gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uafgrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a trade offer that would bring a 300RUM rifle to me. I really like the configuration of the rifle.

I understand the average barrel life is in the range of 4000-4500 rounds. Other than that I am on a learning quest.

</div></div>

4000 to 4500 is a wet pipe dream
wink.gif
You'll be lucky to see 900 to 1000. I've built several and they hammer but they do love the taste of barrels and eat them up quickly. If the rifle is used and been shot very much I'd be scared of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4000 to 4500 is a wet pipe dream
wink.gif
</div></div>That's what I was thinking...

If it's a lightweight hunting rifle like a sendero with a thin barrel and no muzzle break then it will tenderize your shoulder quite nicely. Try it prone and it would be like a friend swinging a sledgehammer at your shoulder while you are laying down. Plus expensive for a super hot .308 cartridge with a short barrel life. I you have what it takes to max out the 300 win mag and want more but don't want to go for a 338 lapua mag then this may be the ticket but I would prefer the 338 LM if going hotter than a 300 win mag.
.Just my opinion.......SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uafgrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a trade offer that would bring a 300RUM rifle to me. I really like the configuration of the rifle.

</div></div>

4000 to 4500 is a wet pipe dream
wink.gif
You'll be lucky to see 900 to 1000. I've built several and they hammer but they do love the taste of barrels and eat them up quickly. If the rifle is used and been shot very much I'd be scared of it. </div></div>

Thanks, it was a misunderstanding on my part.

+1 on barrel life, 1000-1200 rounds would be a pretty good showing before you had to set it back and re-chamber it.

Like everybody else implied, you get a bit more range with it than a 300wm, and can shoot heavier bullets farther and they get there with more hurt left in them. I also agree that if you're needing (wanting?) that much power you might think about stepping up to a 338 caliber rifle, maybe a Lapua or Edge.

I bought a new 300 RUM SPS 700 to build my edge out of, and shot it a couple times before I rebarreled it just to see how bad it hurt. The factory rifle was about 8lbs and it kicked like a stick of dynamite. My finished Edge weighs in about 16lbs and has a monster brake on it, and is tame in comparison.

Remington acknowledges the hurt the RUMS can put out by offering "power level" loadings. Some loads duplicate the 30-06, some duplicate the 300wm, and then the full power ones are available as well for the 300RUM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on barrel life, 1000-1200 rounds would be a pretty good showing before you had to set it back and re-chamber it.

Like everybody else implied, you get a bit more range with it than a 300wm, and can shoot heavier bullets farther and they get there with more hurt left in them. I also agree that if you're needing (wanting?) that much power you might think about stepping up to a 338 caliber rifle, maybe a Lapua or Edge.

I bought a new 300 RUM SPS 700 to build my edge out of, and shot it a couple times before I rebarreled it just to see how bad it hurt. The factory rifle was about 8lbs and it kicked like a stick of dynamite. My finished Edge weighs in about 16lbs and has a monster brake on it, and is tame in comparison.

Remington acknowledges the hurt the RUMS can put out by offering "power level" loadings. Some loads duplicate the 30-06, some duplicate the 300wm, and then the full power ones are available as well for the 300RUM. </div></div>

Yeah, I saw the 3 tiers of loaded ammo
I would shoot it was a suppressor which would likely reduce a significant amount of the felt recoil

800-1000 rounds period. Even less if you don't let the barrel cool down between strings. It makes HEAT and it's easy to kill your barrel fast!

Love my 30ORUM - it's a laser beam on trajectory but hell on barrels. I'd probably prefer a 300 SAUM at this point if given the choice as I like the short mag case better. Or a 7mm SAUM using a 162 grain AMAX.

Good thing is that you have a wide selection of bullet types & weights in the 30 cal family. That is why I chose my 300 RUM as it gave me a wide potential to choose from.

I had a custom one that would shoot 220 Serria MK at 3125. It was a tack driver. I shot a prairie dog at over 1600 yards with it and metal at 2000 yards. If you use if for long range and don't cook the barrel it's a great gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you use if for long range and don't cook the barrel it's a great gun. </div></div>
+1

The great thing about MOST used 300 RUMS is that they are shot very little. The average guy will not shoot a 300 RUM alot. I have had great success with used RUMS. I do not find the recoil as bad as most describe it, I do not have any with brakes. Do the trade.

I have a 700P in 300RUM. I absolutely love it!! I am shooting 220 SMK's but I am getting ready to switch to 210 Hunting Bergers. Mine has a huge throat though, something to consider. I could comfortably shoot mine with the 220's going 2700fps without the break. But with the break I have taken them to 3150fps, but with too much pressure so I backed it off.

It is expensive to shoot, yes, but half the cost of the 338 class, ballistics of course are not nearly the as good as the 338, but for what this hillbilly wants to do (steel at a mile and long range game beyond 600y), it is the perfect cartridge. I do not plan on barrel life like my 308 though, but if you want to run with the big dogs, you have to open your wallet.

I believe ever time I squeeze the trigger, it costs me around $1.35, where as my 308 is around $.35.

I do agree that most used RUM's do not have many rounds down the barrel. They can be very heavy hitters!! In fact my good buddy has one that he bought new 8 years ago, and I believe he is only on his second box of ammunition, and he may have just opened it, haha. My round count is around 160 and I have only had mine for a couple months.