• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What are the top three optics?

dbltap45acp

Old Fat Guy
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2006
Casper, Wy
In the opinion of this forum, what would the top three be.

Shmit & Bender
Premier Heritage
USO

What order would you put them in as well. Thanks

PS, answer honestly without worrying about stepping on someones toes, I am curious as to the thoughts on this.

Re: What are the top three optics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltap45acp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the opinion of this forum, what would the top three be.

Shmit & Bender
Premier Heritage
USO

What order would you put them in as well.</div></div>
Looks like you've already decided what the top 3 are. Not a Nightforce fan I guess?

No, just the first three to pop in my head. I had a NSX on my last stick and loved it. What would you say the top three are and why?

Honestly I've never even looked through a USO, I've shot S&B and NF glass, but only molested a Premier.

If I had to throw it out there right now, I'd say

Premier -based on features and finger fucking
S&B
NF

*No experience with USO

I have a USO being built, a 5x25x56 T-PAL. I have had USO in the past, as well as a NXS. I was thinking about trying the Premier out just because I havent tried one. I was curious is the Premier was going to be in first every time. I can trade the USO for the new 5x25 premier if its going to be worth it in the end, if the quality is that much better. Thats why I was looking for advice. Its a Premier, keep the USO, or two NSX's, one for my 308 and one for my 223 build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltap45acp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a USO being built, a 5x25x56 T-PAL. I have had USO in the past, as well as a NSX. </div></div>

Acura made the NSX.
Nightforce makes the NXS.
Which model NXS did you have in the past? Specs?
Likes/dislikes?
You mentioned 'the past'...why did you get rid of it?

Which USO did you have in the past? Specs?
Likes/dislikes?
Why did you get rid of it?

help us to help you...

what about the zeiss diavari?

Sorry about the NXS thing, I was tired as hell while typing last night and was typing in the dark so I didnt wake up the better half.

I had the 3.5x15x50 on my 308, and the 5.5x22x56 on my 223. Both were on GAP builds.

I have nothing negative to say about the NXS line up, with the exception that when I bought the higher power NXS I got it to try out the new reticle and knobs. It was thier MOA setup that just came out, clicks and matching reticle. I dont remember the specs on the 3x15x50.

I have been shooting with the sniper guys on my department, and when they call out adjustments its always in Mils, not MOA's. I wanted to go with Mils and stick with what my shooting partners know.

As to my last USO, I had the SN3 3.2x17x44 with Mil/Mil, EREK knob, GAP reticle, but I wished for more power while shooting longer ranges on prairie dogs. I had zero dislikes with my USO as well.

I have never used Zeiss before.

Like I said, I like both. I loved my USO, and I am sure I will love the one on its way. I was just curious if I should try something new or stick with whats on the way. I got injured a few years back and now have a job where people are not shooting back anymore. I shoot for fun, want to get into long range comps, and am a certified firearms instructor. I like having the best, it helps me know that if there is a problem, its me and not my equipment. I got rid of both setups because I was supposed to go into surgery for my back and thought I would not be shooting for a while. The surgery didnt happen and I wished I didnt sell those rifles. Now, my only rifle for long range shooting is a FN SPR A3G, and this rifle will be the only one I train with. I have been thinking about having another 223 built up and if thats the case, going with two NF scopes will be a good way of going. I like the fact of having a FFP optic for ranging and shooting unknown distances with proper holdovers.

S&B
Hensoldt
Premier(Time will still tell but so far they are there)

In any order arguments can be made for anyone.

You won't be disappointed with any of those scopes I imagine...

I like USO b/c of the company and features... I can be equally s bad with any of those listed though...

What about CounterSniper, they can't be $5000 and suck, right?
How could a titanium aspherical gun site not be the ballz?

Hensoldt
S&B
NightForce

in that order IMHO, USO has nice options, but I don't think there glass is that great.

Sweet, this is the kind of advice I was looking for.

One of the things I like about USO is the options, the people there and the way they treat thier customers, and the warranty. The clairity of the glass is kind of low on the totum poll for me. Its still clear, and better then most, but I thought that my NF was a little better in the glass department. I liked knowing that if it broke for any reason it would be fixed. John is the man when it come to taking care of his customers.

I have never used a Hensoldt though.

427 Cobra, did you think USO was reliable, tracked well and so forth. I tend to mainly use holdovers and dont crank the knobs alot, did it track well and return to zero for you.

You guys really think nightforce glass is better than USO? I compared a NXS to my USO and thought my USO was much brighter and more crisp. Maybe I was just looking through a sub par NXS?

I have no experience with S&B, Hensoldt, or premier but I can say I am very pleased with my USO.

top three optics in order:

#1 BSA
#2 ncStar
#3 any scope found on "sporstmans guide" website or any scope with a "tactical" name on it.

Oh, my mistake..
These are the top three optics on AR-15 .com

sorry, wrong site.

My SN3 3.8-22x44 w/Ergo parallax looks way better than my NXS 5.5-22x50.

Way less eye strain than the NXS. Sharper image and about the same brightness as the NXS even though I'm using an ARD. NXS seems to become way brighter on lower powers though.

I have to say that I get WAY less eye strain on my USO with an Adjustable objective. Side parallax seems to require more fiddling and never feels perfect.

Subtension on the NXS is really fine, which doesn't help with eye strain.

1.Schmidt&Bender (glass is second to none)
2.USO (completely customizable, great glass)
3.Nightforce (FFP option and glass have improved since I sold mine in 2005)

Have not handled a Premier to comment on it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My SN3 3.8-22x44 w/Ergo parallax looks way better than my NXS 5.5-22x50.

Way less eye strain than the NXS. Sharper image and about the same brightness as the NXS even though I'm using an ARD. NXS seems to become way brighter on lower powers though.

I have to say that I get WAY less eye strain on my USO with an Adjustable objective. Side parallax seems to require more fiddling and never feels perfect.

Subtension on the NXS is really fine, which doesn't help with eye strain.</div></div>

Yeah, I think I'm in the same boat as you given I own the same scope. Maybe the eye strain part is what's making the big difference for me.

You got it all wrong!Nothing could compare to these.

It's

Barska
Simmons
Tasco

....Oh yeah,April fools day was Wednesday.

barska tasco and ncstar according to the slick lookin dude at the last gunshow

Let's take it further and say hunting and tactical
My hunting scopes would be
1 Zeiss
2 Swarovski
3 Leupold

Tactical
1 S&B
2 USO
3 Nightforce

I wonder if the leupold brass ever reads this forum. It appears they are out of the running.

Leupold is a great scope by all means, I just think there are far more rugged and useful options on the other lines. I definitely wouldn't turn down a Leupy if someone was giving it to me, you know what I mean?

I have a dozen Leupolds, and that has been my Gold standard with Burris playing a secondary role.

But I just got a used IOR 2.5x10 here on SN, and the IOR is clearer than the Leupolds when set on the same magnification.

THAT IS A MATTER OF OPINION

THE TOP THREE OPTICS FOR WHAT?

GOING TO THE SANDBOX?

SHOOTING SOD POODLES?

PLINKING AT TARGETS FROM 1000 YARDS?

DEER HUNTING IN TEXAS?

HITTING MY EX-WIFE UPSIDE THE HEAD WITH IT?

NOT BREAKING MY WALLET SO I CAN AFFORD AMMO?

but what you can afford and like, what the fuck?

Unless you can really justify the need for a FFP reticle, then NXS is the way to go, IMHO...

USO's 'customizability' makes them very appealing if you are going ballz to the wall and know EXACTLY what you want from your optic...

Internet Translation:

"I haven't owned or looked through one, but based on what I read, and according to my sister's Ex's, brother, who likes his scope the best, the best scope is the one he paid the most for and does the least with but never fails to impress brother's Ex's friends"...

Best Value= Super Sniper
Best value variable= NXS/ Leupold
Best Company= USO <I have no experience with Premier>
Best Practice=BUY AMERICAN
YMMV
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Internet Translation:

"I haven't owned or looked through one, but based on what I read, and according to my sister's Ex's, brother, who likes his scope the best, the best scope is the one he paid the most for and does the least with but never fails to impress brother's Ex's friends"... </div></div>

I have been making 10 gun related posts a day for 17 years on the internet, the last 10 years on the world wide web.
If I have made tens of thousands posts, I have read hundreds of thousands.
Most posts have no use to me, but I have to read them to find out.

Most skimming through the posts can be done with a simple mental filter, but there are topics where it gets complicated.

As in your example, trust has broken down.
Scopes are too expensive to buy every brand and model and look for yourself.
So you build a mental compilation of read opinions with a weighting for believability.

In 1999 reading rec.guns got me to buy a Leupold.
In 2009 reading Sniper's Hide got me to buy an IOR.

As the Inquisition taught the world some time ago: A properly defined question determines its own answer and provides no avenue for future learning.

We all know WHAT the popular high-end brands of rifle optic are. Repeating them and listing them in no particular order serves little purpose. What we need to know is HOW their charcteristics compare.

To get the most value from the experience of the people here a more instructive and informative request would be: Rank the most important features and aspects of the popular high-end rifle scopes.

For my money it's still: SB for the overall package, tracking and glass; then NF because of tracking reliability, durability and value; then the rest.

The old USO's were very good. I have ordered a new one and am curious about the durability of the tracking and the quality of the image at the edge - so important when using a Horus reticle.

Premier looks very nice, and may very soon be the best, but the first ones had well-documented growing pains, as is to be expected with any new product.

Lowlight, was that last post for me. I can prove I have owned USO as well as NF scopes. I guess if you need I can prove I owned GAP rifles as well. I hope that last statement wasnt towards me.

I am a pistol and carbine guy, with some expierance with rifles. Because I dont sit behind a rifle to much is why I ask those questions here.

Money is tight, I can not afford to mess around with this build. To be honest, I cant really afford this build. Because I want to start shooting long range again, I did it anyways. I wanted to buy once cry once. I can not afford to screw it up. It will be a long time before I will be able to another build, so why not buy the best one can afford the first time and not say down the road "well, if I would have just done it this way I would have been much better off".

I need to train a lot behind a rifle, why not have the best tools for the job while doing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stonewall2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> March</div></div>

Funny.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...about the durability of the tracking and the quality of the image at the edge - so important when using a Horus reticle.</div></div>

It might be useful to remember when using a Horus reticle at long ranges that you can always dial some elevation on to bring the line you need up closer to the center of the scope.

I am also told that Nightforce will be offering the Horus reticle.

I already told NFBill that if NF offers the Horus, and it's not priced in the rip-off range, then I'll buy one in FFP.

Meanwhile, I'm holding John to USO's 'superior glass' claims and hoping my ordered USO/Horus arrives - when it arrives - crisp and clear to the edge(s). Besides, mine may or may not come with that range-finder scale thingy that sits on the left side of the image.

So, I suppose I could always dial elevation to get around a problem, but I sure hope I don't have to work around things after paying/waiting for a USO build. I have confidence in them and in the product; we'll see.