• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are the top upgrades done to a Ruger 10/22?

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
I have a .22 and I'm wondering what part would be most worth the money to upgrade. I'm curious to what you guys chose to upgrade first, or what upgrade made the greatest difference for you.

Please list what you voted for and what manufacturer/part you used.

Thank you.

Re: What are the top upgrades done to a Ruger 10/22?

Voted trigger even though I replaced my barrel and stock first. I say that because the factory trigger is awful and made the most difference in how well I could shoot my gun. Doesn't matter how accurate the gun is, if you're struggling with a shitty 6lb trigger you can't do much.

Trigger. Check out Volquartsen. They offer well done drop in parts for reasonably prices.

I voted for a barrel but you should have an all the above. A barrel is not worth it's salt without a good trigger, bolt and some tlc.

I voted barrel because you can do so much trigger work on your own.

My vote went to the trigger (timney). Have done a lot of work on my bolt, pinned the firing pin, milled bolt face to .043, radiused back of bolt.(being a machinist sure saves a lot of $'s) Kid extractor and charging handle.
Chris

Trigger, install & see how it improves,
Barrel, install & see how it improves,
Stock, install & see how it improves,
Bolt, install & see how it improves.

This is the preferred order for a reason.

I have all the above and it is the trigger that made the big difference.

Are you going to scope it or use iron sights?

If using iron sights I'd put a set of Tech Sights on it.

Mine old 10/22 shoots 3/4" groups at 25 yds. and that is good enough for anything I'd use it for (though I can't see the sights well enough on my old M52 Winchester these days it used to be my tack driver and fly killer at 25 yds.)

I also installed a set of 1&1/4" sling swivels on mine as I've proven to myself that slinging up gives me better groups.

You want a stock that fits you. Different folks like different stocks. Some people recommend those adjustable stocks that look like AR buttstocks.

Lots of folks find the magazine release difficult to use and install extended magazine releases on their rifles.

I don't use the bolt hold open on mine except for cleaning so I left it alone. Some people like to lock the bolt back every little bit and find the factory unit difficult to figure out and they replace it with one easier to use.

Before you spend a lot of money upgrading it find out how it shoots with some different ammo types/brands. You many find its a tack driver as is.

Agree with Hoof

Get yourself an aftermarket hammer from Volquartsen or Rimfire Technologies and you'll see a big improvement. I start with this every time.

I did barrel and stock first! Clarke barrel and houge stock. The trigger is next! I'm putting the money on my 700, so what ever is left from toys budget goes on 10/22 and marlin!

NeXT time I will start in the trigger dep. haha

a trigger by itself does not make the gun more accurate......it just makes it easier for the shooter to shoot the gun better. A barrel will improve the accuracy of the rifle. There is some merit in the idea that shooting good groups with a bad trigger is difficult to do. Shooting good groups with a bad barrel is impossible to do, regardless of the quality of the trigger. I also agree with the "all of the above" comment.

I say it depends what you want out of your gun. If you are going for top accuracy, a kid trigger and barrel along with a quality stock will go a long way. If you are on a budget and like working on guns, see what you can do with the DIY mods first. Check out rimfirecentral.com, there is a LOT of good info there on trigger mods, barrel bedding, etc that you could try for free! I got my stock trigger about 2 1/2 lbs and it didn't cost a dime!

trigger and barrel are so cheap, you could do both together.

150 for a decent barrel, and 75 for a trigger..

Shoot with a hammer/trigger upgrade (Midway sells them for $40) and see if the factory barrel accuracy is good enough for your purposes before upgrading the barrel.

You might try shooting it without the barrel band, too.

Barrel. Then Kidd trigger.

Kidd Trigger - if you want the best?

Kidd barrels are made from Lothar Walther blanks. They are superb. I have heard Green Mountain barrels are an affordable and good barrel option.

The Kidd rifles are really "that" nice.

AnschutzNerd

i did a stock first because i found a fajen thumb hole cheap at my local dealer. i noticed an improvement immediately just because my wrist felt more comfortable holding the rifle. then i did a barrel because the stock was made for a heavy barrel. last, i did the trigger and before i used it i felt like it was too much money to be worth it...i was wrong. the trigger is where i start now. after shooting a nice trigger a bad trigger is really obvious and annoying because now i know what it could be like. next i go to optics(if optics is a choice) because you can only shoot as good as you can see. i buy as good a scope as i can afford(i usually budget for one equal to the $ of the rifle). if i feel like i should be getting more accuracy out of a rifle i go to the other options: barrel, stock, tricks, etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trigger, install & see how it improves,
Barrel, install & see how it improves,
Stock, install & see how it improves,
Bolt, install & see how it improves.

This is the preferred order for a reason.

</div></div>

Appreciate the comments in the thread and the simplicity of this approach.

As someone who hasn't done it, I wonder at what point is it more economical to simply get a 'custom build' from the beginning, rather than work through the upgrade process?

As an analogy, sometimes it's cheaper to buy a restored classic car than it is to do it yourself, while acknowledging that the do it yourself crowd does values that part highly.

edited : voted Misc. - bipod or rest. Because without a solid shooting position, I don't see how you gauge the rest of improvements.

TRIGGER!!
B/C they suck!! Mine was right at 7 pounds!! I don't care how good a barrel you got with a 7 pound trigger pull it is going to b hard not to pull!!!!
Volquartsen IMO never owned or been around a Kidd! I do know volquartsen cares about there customer satisfaction!!

^^^ Then you haven't spent much time around the rimfire scene! Tony Kidd is fantastic with his CS and you'll get an answer from him or his wife in a day or less.

With that said, a barrel and then a VQ trigger kit is a fairly inexpensive alternative... if you want 100% the best <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">current</span></span> production trigger group, KIDD cannot be beat.

I've tried the Jard, Volquartson, and the Kidd triggers.

Kidd is by far my favorite.
I would like to pull on the new Timney just to see if it is a good cheaper alternative.

Barrel/Stock then Trigger. the fundamendals of trigger control is all the same weither you have a 6lb or 3lb trigger. straight and to the rear.

Step 1: buy 10/22
Step 2: replace EVERYTHING except the receiver lol

Or just buy a blank receiver and build from the ground up.

I mean no bad intent, but please follow my analogy;

I'm building a hot rod and want to go fast. There's more to achieving fast than a high performance motor. The gear ratio and tranny must be taken into consideration. Wide soft tires and suspension etc (many other factors to reach maximum performance).

All items listed go hand and hand. I personally don't think it matters which upgrade is done first long as you don't become discourage and abandon the project because you can't get peak performance sooner vs later.

Enjoy building your gun up and upgrade the parts you can afford, knowing you're not finished.

Peace

Barrel first for precision,

Trigger next, then stock, both for better consistency

My lesson learned having done barrel first is the trigger. Trigger makes the best improvement for the money.

I went with the stock first. To me, I can overcome other shortcomings if the rifle "feels" right when I shoulder it. JMHO. I went with the Hogue rubber-overmoulded in OD green.

I voted for trigger even though I upgraded my stock and magazines before hand. The trigger change gave me the best performance increase.

I voted trigger job first I don't replace parts I do add a over travel stop and adjustable sear and adjust spring travel plus add shims if needed.Next the barrel most can be improved without replacement plus bedding the rifle reduces flyers.

I did a trigger job by Volquartson then added a barrel and stock all in one shot. Cost me about $300 but I sure do enjoy shooting it.

I voted for trigger because you can't hit anything without a decent trigger. I replaced the stock and barrel first and then did the trigger job. Order doesn't really matter.