• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are these screws for?

uafgrad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2004
Fairbanks, Alaska
IMG_3916.jpg

What are the brass screws on the side of the receiver for?

Re: What are these screws for?

That is the area to mount a side mount PALMA type sight, IE: Redfield, Lyman, etc. Remove the screws and screw on the sight or a sight rail.

Those APPEAR to be mounting holes for the rear target sights...

Is that a FACTORY reciever... give MORE details about the rifle...

Did you have work done to it...? Buy it from someone??

Thanks
Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those APPEAR to be mounting holes for the rear target sights...

Is that a FACTORY reciever... give MORE details about the rifle...

Did you have work done to it...? Buy it from someone??

Thanks
Matt. </div></div>

Rifle that has been offered to me in trade
Factory reciever that has been trued
The other person didnt know what they were for either

Thanks
Chris

Pretty nice...

Are there ANY strange marks on the front of the barrel... or a dove tail, screws etc...

Can you post up some additional pics of the FULL rifle.

Give details of the trade... what all is HE giving up... and what are you giving up/gaining.

Matt.

The screws are for a rear sight. Both receivers that I have that are old enough to be DT'd like this have factory screws made from steel. These brass ones are probably replacements for some reason, I'd guess for cosmetics.

Yeah, looks like the screws for a peep sight or similar, but that's just a guess.

+ 1 for all of those above who said receiver sights.

The screws are plug screws which are removed when a receiver sight is mounted, using those threaded holes.

The newer actions don't have them, I don't think.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: exmr2sw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is the area to mount a side mount PALMA type sight, IE: Redfield, Lyman, etc. Remove the screws and screw on the sight or a sight rail. </div></div>

+1

One of mine has those too.

They are just filler screws like the ones that come in the top of a new rifle before you take them out to mount a scope base.

They are for a peep sight of some sort, I think at one time all the receivers had them, then some....then only special order types and such.

They are likely factory holes with aftermarket filler screws. If you want the rifle and the deal is right then don't let them stop you.