• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are you actually getting with a Tac A1?

rbs7500

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2021
Australia
Hey all,

The Tikka Varmint costs $1,800 and the Tikka Tac A1 costs $3,700.
As far as I know, the barreled action on the Tac A1 is exactly the same as the barreled action on the Varmint. So as far as I can tell, the extra $2000 gets you a Chassis, Bipod and Muzzle Brake.
Am I missing something here? Why not buy a Varmint and drop it into an MDT ESS? This would still work out cheaper than a Tac A1. Is there something particularly great or high quality about the Bipod and Brake that come on the Tac A1? Is there something particularly special about the Chassis?

I'm just trying to work out what thag extra 2k actually gets you.

Cheers,

Reactions: 338dude
Thats a hard question to answer considering where you're from. If your tac A1’s are more than double our US price, does that mean MDT’s are similar?

Reactions: 338dude
The tac a1 is ~1000 USD more than a varmint here in the states. It gets you a chassis, threaded muzzle. muzzle brake, and the ability to run CTR mags well. Some like the CTR mags more than any AICS pattern magazine and I must admit they work extremely well for a double stack magazine if the gun is set up for them. The extra thousand is warranted here, but depending on the price of all those things where you are, the extra 2k might not be worth it.

How much are AI rifles there? Because at 3800 you are getting pretty close to AI AT pricing in the US.

Have you looked at a tikka lite with a rebarrel and chassis of your choice?

Not cheap, but less cash than a tac-a1 and you get EXACTLY what you want. If you know what you want.

After shooting a friend's TAC A1, I don't think so. The chassis sucks and the brake looks like a pineapple at the end of the gun.

A CTR with the chassis (KRG Xray for me) and brake of your choice is a much better deal.
Yeah sweet, that's more or less what I was thinking.
Buy the CTR, get the 10 round mag, threaded muzzle and oversized bolt knob and then drop it in something MDT or KRG down the track.

Yeah sweet, that's more or less what I was thinking.
Buy the CTR, get the 10 round mag, threaded muzzle and oversized bolt knob and then drop it in something MDT or KRG down the track.
A lot of people here talk up the TAC A1 as if it were the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think many of them either they've never gotten behind one or have never tried a different stock/chassis.

Don't want to support local with an LA105? No complaints with mine, just need to work on my technique.

That's about a third of a Delta Stryker at retail paid for or near half a sightron with the difference between the Lithgow and tikka.

Last edited:
Essentially it’s a two stage trigger CTR in a Chassis. For a tikka I’d go with other options myself.

I would also recommend the CTR in your chassis of choice over the Tac A1.

I would have gone that route, but I need a left hand action and Tikka doesn't offer the CTR in left hand in the U.S. That left me with the Tac A1 as the only option here. I really didn't care for the stock on the Tac A1 and as others have mentioned the muzzle brake is weird.

The prices I found were around $1,899.00 U.S. for the LH Tac A1. With the MPA PMR rifle at $1,999.00, it was a no brainer to spend the extra coin. (Althought I finally went with the PMR Pro with all the extra goodies it has.)

Reactions: Banetoast
For new shooters, a TAC A1 is a smooth, accurate turnkey solution. Take it and the 2 magazines it ships with out of the box, stick on the ugly brake and a bipod, mount an optic, adjust, and you're PRS competition-ready. That's the appeal, and in that context it's admirably good.

Sure, putting a CTR in a chassis or stock and adding other 3rd-party bits can yield an arguably better platform at a similar price point.

But how many new shooters have access to the expertise needed to competently find and assemble those bits?

I didn't know how to do that when I started, and I did have access to expertise. I had a lifetime of shooting experience and I was no stranger to high-dollar firearms. I just had no idea what questions to ask, and my buddy - a well-recognized and respected rifle smith in our region - was comfortable with my choice as an entry-level platform.

In no way do I regret starting with a TAC A1, and I sold it in one day with multiple offers when I learned enough and gained enough experience to confidently move to custom platforms.

I don't think you had access to much expertise if you couldn't loosen/tighten 2 bolts and buy an AICS magazine.
Entry level is typically inexpensive and functional so you figure out what you like/dislike. I don't see the appeal of spending an extra $2k (for the OP) just to get his toes wet. We aren't talking about piecing together a build from a bare action, it's swapping a stock.

After shooting a friend's TAC A1, I don't think so. The chassis sucks and the brake looks like a pineapple at the end of the gun.

A CTR with the chassis (KRG Xray for me) and brake of your choice is a much better deal.
I agree. What I meant was that there is enough difference to understand where the extra thousand went, even though the chassis and brake kinda suck.

Reactions: 308pirate
I don't think you had access to much expertise if you couldn't loosen/tighten 2 bolts and buy an AICS magazine.
Entry level is typically inexpensive and functional so you figure out what you like/dislike. I don't see the appeal of spending an extra $2k (for the OP) just to get his toes wet. We aren't talking about piecing together a build from a bare action, it's swapping a stock.
Do you understand the definition and concept of a turnkey solution? Look it up. And maybe go to your LGS and see how many people know what an AICS magazine is.

As for the expertise to which I had access... Have you ever actually used a TAC A1? My buddy knows, uses, and has competed with Tikkas... but his 2009 1000-yard IBS record was set with a rifle whose barrel blank he spun up on his own lathe and whose rest and other unique components he milled himself.

So much for your assumptions and for my wasting time on them.

Reactions: Bangswitch_6x47
I didn't say it wasn't a turnkey solution. I said it was an expensive "entry-level platform".
Walk into any cabela's/bass pro/gun store and I bet you find more Magpul AICS mags vs Tikka CTR mags. I also bet you find 10x more guns that take AICS mags than CTR mags. You must have been grasping at straws with that one.
Your question of "But how many new shooters have access to the expertise needed to competently find and assemble those bits?"
Again, if you don't have the expertise to loosen and tighten 2 bolts, I just don't know what else to say.

I didn't say it wasn't a turnkey solution. I said it was an expensive "entry-level platform".
Walk into any cabela's/bass pro/gun store and I bet you find more Magpul AICS mags vs Tikka CTR mags. I also bet you find 10x more guns that take AICS mags than CTR mags. You must have been grasping at straws with that one.
Your question of "But how many new shooters have access to the expertise needed to competently find and assemble those bits?"
Again, if you don't have the expertise to loosen and tighten 2 bolts, I just don't know what else to say.
Except that Magpul AICS don't work with tikkas. Sure you can find people that have modified them to work but very few and far between.

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
It was the counterpoint to "go to your LGS and see how many people know what an AICS magazine is."
Figured that was what you meant just felt like others might not know about the Magpul Tikka issue.

They might not know what an aics is but they might know a ruger gunsite scout magazine. Doesn't the rpr also take aics?

I agree with the other 2 paragraphs that you posted. Its not hard to change a stock to a chassis. Just did it this last weekend myself. But then again I am mechanically inclined.

If my brother in law was into guns he couldn't do it. But then again he can't put up a shelf or a TV mount on the wall. They both fell off. Standard screws into drywall don't work.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
The Tac A1 is a hammer. I have a .308 and the two stage trigger is as good as my TRG-22, I like it it better in fact because the pull weight can be adjusted a bit further down. Don’t use the brake, I have a can. If there is anything I’d change on the chassis it’s the kydex cheek rest. The grip is ok, not awesome, but that can also be changed.

Don't want to support local with an LA105? No complaints with mine, just need to work on my technique.

That's about a third of a Delta Stryker at retail paid for or near half a sightron with the difference between the Lithgow and tikka.
I looked into the Lithgows but I like the Tikka finish a lot better, also, can't pass up that action.

Fair enough, they do feel very nice. If you are looking to fit into a sports hunter category be mindful they are heavy compared to most other stuff for barrel length.

No doubt that the Tac A1 shoots. I have a buddy who has one and it is a great out of the box rifle. I don't have direct experience with the CTR, but I have heard they shoot too. You wont go wrong either way.

That said, going the CTR route gives you a multitude of stock options, especially for a right hander. In my recent search, I found that stock selection was a big deal. I had the opportunity to shoot a few different stocks (including the Tac A1) and got most comfortable behind the MPA. Some others that looked good, were not so good in practice. If you get a chance to get behind some different stocks do it!

On the technical front, if you don't know how to install a stock on a barreled action, then its time to learn. Just budget for an inexpensive Wheeler FAT wrench ($50.00) or other torque wrench. One should be routinely checking the torque on the action screws anyway.

Reactions: rbs7500
Hey all,

As far as I know, the barreled action on the Tac A1 is exactly the same as the barreled action on the Varmint. So as far as I can tell, the extra $2000 gets you a Chassis, Bipod and Muzzle Brake.
Am I missing something here? Why not buy a Varmint and drop it into an MDT ESS? This would still work out cheaper than a Tac A1. Is there something particularly great or high quality about the Bipod and Brake that come on the Tac A1? Is there something particularly special about the Chassis?

Cheers,
My Tikka T3 Tac A1 cost me 1800 and it is Left Handed. KRG makes a Stock that even takes CTR magazines which I had a Tikka T3x CTR and I like the 10 round Tikka magazines which I like better.

No doubt that the Tac A1 shoots. I have a buddy who has one and it is a great out of the box rifle. I don't have direct experience with the CTR, but I have heard they shoot too. You wont go wrong either way.

That said, going the CTR route gives you a multitude of stock options, especially for a right hander. In my recent search, I found that stock selection was a big deal. I had the opportunity to shoot a few different stocks (including the Tac A1) and got most comfortable behind the MPA. Some others that looked good, were not so good in practice. If you get a chance to get behind some different stocks do it!

On the technical front, if you don't know how to install a stock on a barreled action, then its time to learn. Just budget for an inexpensive Wheeler FAT wrench ($50.00) or other torque wrench. One should be routinely checking the torque on the action screws anyway.
They do I have both.

Reactions: rbs7500
Hey all,

Cheers,
In US market, the difference is available for under $500. On Eurooptic.com for reference, the Tikka varmit is $930; the t3x tac a1 runs $1800-2000 depending on caliber and color. Bought my tac a1 6.5CM for shade under $1400 delivered. Added features are greatly increased stock adjustability; threaded barrel with brake; full M-Lock fore end ; full length picatinny rail; uses CTR mags; several color options; ......and, full tilt Tacticool factor..... just listen to the Oooohhhs and Aaaawws when you uncase the tac a1. Varmit.......not so much.....YAWN......moving along; nothing to see. here. :) :) :) Tac a1 is a great out of the box PRS ready solution. Are there better options?? Yeah, always better options to every question. One has to make their own "best" decisiion. Beauty is in the eye....and the wallet...... of the beholder.

From Eurooptic item Description:

The Tikka T3x is the next generation of the renowned T3 rifle. These new T3x rifles are built to the same standards that so many have come to rely on from the original T3, and continue to boast a hammer forged barrel, sturdy stocks, and smooth bolt actions. They still offer a 3-shot sub-MOA accuracy guarantee right out of the box, and will continue to represent the great value of the Tikka rifle line. Some new features that set the T3x apart from its older brother include the following:

• Improved asymmetrical grip pattern and shape that will better accommodate grip in any condition
  • Upgraded recoil pad to mitigate felt recoil
  • Foam insert to lessen noise that is produced from the stock (not available in models with adjustable cheek piece)
  • Redesigned ejection port that creates easier single feeding through the ejection port
  • Improved rail attachment via an extra screw placement on top of the receiver for sturdier rail placement
  • A robust metallic bolt shroud to cover and shield the rear of the bolt body and firing pin
  • Steel recoil lug to decrease deformation even in larger calibers compared the aluminum ones in use in T3 rifles
  • Chassis made by Tikka are short action only.
Tikka has always been considered one of the best options when considering a rifle, and the T3x continues and enhances this legacy.

In addition to the regular T3x features, the Tac A1 also features:

• A 2-Stage Trigger....adjustable 2-4 lbs.
  • Includes Muzzle Brake......threaded barrel also.
  • Safety that features a button that allows user to unlock bolt while rifle is on safe
  • Fully adjustable stock.
  • Full length picatinny rail....unfortunately 0 degree taper....What the Hell were they thinking...or NOT???
  • M-lock fore end.
  • Available in several colors.
  • Interchangeable pistol grip.

Last edited:
Many people advise you to buy a CTR and put it into a chassis. I would go more radical route. I would buy a used tikka or sako 85, keep the action and build a completely new rifle. CTR's barrel contour is approx. 0.79". It's relatively slim for a serious competition, where you have to shoot at least 10 shots in 10 minutes. CTR's barrel will overheat quicker than a heavier custom barrel.

I'm in Australia, different prices here
Do you have access to a regular CTR? Tikka varmints are overpriced, same with the TacA1, CTR’s tend to run cheaper than both stateside. I believe the barreled actions are the same for the common short action cartridges all 3 are chambered for. The CTR T3x stock, while not ideal, is serviceable until you figure out which path you would like to take. I’m not impressed with Tikka’s chassis, there’s better out there for cheaper. XLR, Cadex, MPA, KRG, etc all inlet for the Tikka SA, and are much better quality.

Don’t believe that ”turnkey“ bullshit. You can read, and probably know the difference between a Phillips/flathead driver. Some dude trying to justify his purchase. This place is a huge resource for different market products and experience with said products. Good luck on the journey and welcome to the club!

Except that Magpul AICS don't work with tikkas. Sure you can find people that have modified them to work but very few and far between.
It just takes a bit of sanding/filing of the feed lips and they run fine. For me the extra effort was worth the price difference.

To the OP's question about differences between the Varmint and the TAC A1, a few small additions to what everyone else has said:

• The mag capacity increases from 6 in the Varmint to 10 in the TAC A1.
  • The muzzle brake is actually a TRG 338 brake. If you don't want a brake / want to swap for a suppressor, you can sell it and recoup some of the original purchase price.
  • The TAC A1 comes factory threaded, while the Varmint does not, so that's both an increased cost for the Varmint, as well as the risk that you'll get a threading job that's not concentric to the bore; aftermarket threading can also cause warranty issues (it does for Beretta who distribute Tikkas in NZ, for example).
  • The TAC A1 is also available in a folding stock. Some of the comparisons to the cost of purchasing a Varmint or CTR action and swapping the stock don't necessarily compare like for like in terms of stock features; this can include the level of adjustability, as well as whether the aftermarket stock folds.
  • Finally, the bolt is better on the TAC A1 - has a bigger knob, and is Teflon coated.

For context, I first bought a TAC A1 in 308, and am happy enough with it as a platform (the idea was to have a bolt-action 'conceptual DMR-ish' set-up) ... but will be buying a CTR to strip out the action and put in another chassis as a comp gun. I think there's value in that route, but not so much for the Varmint.

Oh, and with the CTR action, some chassis makers (such as KRG) will offer an option to retain the CTR mags, or use AICS-pattern, so you get that choice. I think some of them (KRG again) state, though, that using their chassis on a TAC A1 option requires some extra work compared to the CTR. Not sure why, but that counts a little towards the CTR if you think there's a chance you'd want to swap out the TAC A1 chassis down the track ...

Reactions: TurdFerguson
I didn't see it saying anything about Australia but I kin of figured it must be.
Yep I'm down under
To the OP's question about differences between the Varmint and the TAC A1, a few small additions to what everyone else has said:

• The mag capacity increases from 6 in the Varmint to 10 in the TAC A1.
  • The muzzle brake is actually a TRG 338 brake. If you don't want a brake / want to swap for a suppressor, you can sell it and recoup some of the original purchase price.
  • The TAC A1 comes factory threaded, while the Varmint does not, so that's both an increased cost for the Varmint, as well as the risk that you'll get a threading job that's not concentric to the bore; aftermarket threading can also cause warranty issues (it does for Beretta who distribute Tikkas in NZ, for example).
  • The TAC A1 is also available in a folding stock. Some of the comparisons to the cost of purchasing a Varmint or CTR action and swapping the stock don't necessarily compare like for like in terms of stock features; this can include the level of adjustability, as well as whether the aftermarket stock folds.
  • Finally, the bolt is better on the TAC A1 - has a bigger knob, and is Teflon coated.

For context, I first bought a TAC A1 in 308, and am happy enough with it as a platform (the idea was to have a bolt-action 'conceptual DMR-ish' set-up) ... but will be buying a CTR to strip out the action and put in another chassis as a comp gun. I think there's value in that route, but not so much for the Varmint.

Oh, and with the CTR action, some chassis makers (such as KRG) will offer an option to retain the CTR mags, or use AICS-pattern, so you get that choice. I think some of them (KRG again) state, though, that using their chassis on a TAC A1 option requires some extra work compared to the CTR. Not sure why, but that counts a little towards the CTR if you think there's a chance you'd want to swap out the TAC A1 chassis down the track ...
Interesting, I thought the CTR and Tac A1 had the same action and barrel

Yep I'm down under

Interesting, I thought the CTR and Tac A1 had the same action and barrel
They do. The barrel is different on the Varmint.

The trigger is different on the tac a1 vs the others.

For a quick reference I put together this Tikka buying guide a while ago. Things are going to be slightly different for you since you can get options we don't though.
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tikka-t3-thread.6252615/post-7301418

Good luck on the research and buying.

Doberman makes some good points about the Tac A1 that I was not aware of. Always learning.

Interesting prices on the Tac A1 in the UK and as far as I can see in Europe Discounted the Tac A1 is selling for the equivalent of $2553.00. Wake up guy's the EU is screwing your firearms industry

I bought a TacA1 for about $1500 US. I put it in a Bravo chassis and sold the Tikka Chassis and mags. It ended up to be about a even swap.

If it were me, I'd find the cheapest Tikka action I could and barrel it and put it in the chassis of choice and a good two stage trigger. The Tikka trigger is very good for a large OEM rifle manufacturer but it's not a TriggerTech Diamond two stage. Unless of course you want the TacA1 chassis. It's not terrible but it's not great either. At the price you're quoting, I'd pass.

I bought a TacA1 for about $1500 US. I put it in a Bravo chassis and sold the Tikka Chassis and mags. It ended up to be about a even swap.

If it were me, I'd find the cheapest Tikka action I could and barrel it and put it in the chassis of choice and a good two stage trigger. The Tikka trigger is very good for a large OEM rifle manufacturer but it's not a TriggerTech Diamond two stage. Unless of course you want the TacA1 chassis. It's not terrible but it's not great either. At the price you're quoting, I'd pass.
I got a 308 TacA1 at Eurooptic for about US $1100 on sale, it was before the hording/panic buying started in earnest. It also came with 2 mags and a third free one from Tikka so it was a good deal. I move it back and forth between the Tac A1 chassis and a KRG Bravo, mine also fits fine in the KRG chassis, also in the UPR stock, which makes a great hunting setup. I think there were early reports that the two stage trigger housing didn't fit in the Bravo without some milling, don't know if that was with an earlier model KRG chassis or what. I haven't used a trigger tech two stage trigger, but its hard to imagine a more perfect trigger than the Tac, it really feels like Sako/Tikka didn't cut any corners with the Tac trigger compared to the TRG.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I like the TAC A1.
The people I know that own them, have no regrets, and they are accurate.
I bought the Super Varmint , must be better because it has Super in the designation.😉
It shoots just as well as any CTR or TAC A1, if not better.
I put it in a GRS Bifrost stock, most comfortable stock I have ever used.
20210324_132600.jpg

I would also recommend the CTR in your chassis of choice over the Tac A1.

I would have gone that route, but I need a left hand action and Tikka doesn't offer the CTR in left hand in the U.S. That left me with the Tac A1 as the only option here. I really didn't care for the stock on the Tac A1 and as others have mentioned the muzzle brake is weird.

The prices I found were around $1,899.00 U.S. for the LH Tac A1. With the MPA PMR rifle at $1,999.00, it was a no brainer to spend the extra coin. (Althought I finally went with the PMR Pro with all the extra goodies it has.)
This is how I ended up with an MPA too.

Odd how some prices are similar in US and others are very different, e.g. the giant premium you pay in Oz for a Tac A1. Don’t know if it’s Beretta or something else. I agree at those prices and even the US prices now I’d put a varmint or CTR in a chassis before buying a Tac.

Btw as a yank with great respect and affinity for you lot down under I apologize for the wankers in the bear pit trying to take the piss, just embarrassing to the vast majority of us.

Last edited:
@Graywolf.260: Here in NZ, we've been told that Beretta have been told that Tikka EU have said prices are about to go up. A lot. So it's worth grabbing whatever is around now at old prices.

I just saw a CTR on the rack at a local fudd shop the other day, for example, for nearly $500 less than what the current import price I was quoted.

Reactions: Graywolf.260