• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are you guys using for .223 plinking ammo

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
I'm down to a minimum and would like to start reloading. I have lots of brass, primers, and good bit of powder, mostly varget and tac.

What are you guys using for plinking bullets and what loads are you using. I have JP 1/8 16" and a RRA 1/9 16".

Thanks

Re: What are you guys using for .223 plinking ammo

I don't do much 'plinking' but for me it's the Hornady, Winchester and IMI 55gr FMJ/BTs and 62gr USGI SS109 pulls for zombie work.

Chris

Thanks!!

The wife and step daughter finally decided they want to learn to shoot an AR now that ammo is $$$ and components are extremely hard to find. I was looking for the lowest cost options so i dont use up all my 69SMK's.

Anybody have any leads on any 62Grn M855 bullets? I checked the few places that carried them already and I could use a few hundred.

I buy Nosler 55gr BTs 2nd's and load my own. I'd get whatever is cheapest or whatever I could get my hands on now with supply being low.

Nowadays it's worth considering a 22 rimfire upper, or adaptor, for plinking and training wife/kids.

Nowadays it's worth considering a 22 rimfire upper, or adaptor, for plinking and training wife/kids.

Yup, good point.

24.5gr of TAC under Hornady 55gr FMJBT from grafs.com is what I plink with.

WC-844 powder from Pat's reloading and pulled bullets from back in the day.

Thanks!

Looks like i'll try and get the Hornady 55grn. I've looked into getting a .22 upper. With the new Valkyrie and a Premier ordered with Scott the gun fund is pretty much wiped out. But I'll definitely look into that over the summer.

MtM beat me to it, I'm considering a 22LR upper for mine myself. I'd like to keep it under $225 bucks in hand, but if it's not much difference for a REALLY good one, I'd be willing to spend a little more. Any suggestions?

To the OP, sorry for the thread hijack.

My AR's really like the Hornady 55 grain SP, 23.4 gr Ramshot TAC and wolf small rifle primers in Lake City brass. I load on a Dillon 550. This combo gets me around an inch or so groups at 100 yards. Nice mild load for plinking that works well in all of my guns.

55g hornady FMJs and 24g of benchmark. shoots good enough through the ar, to get decent accuracy out of my savage 223 i cut a new chamber w a PTG 0 freebore 1.5deg leade reamer. shoots sub moa now, but pressure builds quick. picked up 250 fps on every load we chronyed before and after. makes a great mid range practice rifle, that can be shot cheap

Win/Hornady 55 gr SP
LC brass
Win primer
Full case of Varget (about 1/8" from the top is 26.5 gr)

Will shoot 1/2 min and works well in gas guns.

My hoser 3 gun load is

Hornady 55gr FMJ
LC Brass
WSR Primer
24.0grs AA2230

Gets about 2900 or so out of my 18" JP barrel. Its accurate to flashers and larue targets to 300, but I use Nosler Ballistic Tips past 100yds in big matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Citysmasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Win/Hornady 55 gr SP
LC brass
Win primer
Full case of Varget (about 1/8" from the top is 26.5 gr)

Will shoot 1/2 min and works well in gas guns. </div></div>

That is the same load that I use with the exception that I use mixed brass (some commercial, some military). I'm getting 2975-3000 fps out of a 16" AR.