• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What are you guys using for defensive pistol ammo?

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
I have a HK 9sd and the full complement of Glock .40's.

I've been out of the loop a few years. I have almost depleted the ton of Winchester SXT left over from my LEO days and need to buy some new stuff. Is there any new Gee Whiz stuff that would be better than the win SXT or new Federal HST? Or is it a Chevy vs Ford type thing?

Also I'll be ordering a case or so of both 9 and .40 so does anybody know where its cheaper than 19.00 box of 50???

Thanks

Re: What are you guys using for defensive pistol ammo?

To a degree it is Ford v. Chevy. Use a good bonded HP. The Win and Fed that you listed as well as a premimum load with a Gold Dot are appropriate to stoke a mag with.

There is a specific skew # for the 9mm and 40 that everyone trys to get in the Winchester line. If you dig for it, its out there or I am sure someone will chime in.

I've always carried Gold Dot loads b/c its good and easy to find.

Oh, last thought - don't forget about Corbon DPX if you want to get away from a bonded and go to a solid copper projectile. These seem to be pretty impressive. Not cheap either.

Good luck

Gold Dots or Hydroshoks work for me, which ever I can find in the stores, which is neither right now.

I've ran hydroshoks, hornady TAP, and the winchester ranger ammo. Of the most recent tests I've seen the winchester ranger ammo always gets very high marks and the hydroshoks have fallen back in the tests some. I think any of the well known hollow point ammo is going to work just fine as long as it runs good in your gun. I think a major mistake many make is they don't fire enough of their carry ammo to know. 20-50-100 rounds is NOT enough to call your weapon proven with your carry ammo. I see it all the time guys fire thousands of rounds of FMJ, then put 40 rounds of carry ammo through it and call it good to go. 500-1000 rounds is more like it.....expensive....damn right, but knowing your weapon runs 100% with it if you need it is well worth it.

The ford/chevy analogy is great, no one wants to be shot with any of them, and if used properly will conclude about any confrontation. You can't read much into the chart data either because ft/lbs is not the same as penetration or knock down. Their calculations always favor a lighter/faster round over heavier round. Ask any archery if they'd rather shoot a bear with a 200 fps 700gr arrow or a 350 fps 300gr arrow, anyone that's shot bear knows slower and heavier wins every time.

According to the charts a 165gr .45 slug has more ft/lbs than the 230 gr slug, but I guarantee the 230gr slug hits harder and does more damage. The 30gr 22mag round has the same listed ft/lbs as the 124gr 9mm hydrashok....now I don't want to be shot with either of them but there's no way the 22mag as the stopping power that the 9mm does, yet the chart numbers say it does. It just goes to show how useless the ft/lbs numbers are across calibers and bullet weights. It's useful as a comparison in the same bullet weight only.

Fed HST/Tactical bonded, Win Ranger T/bonded, and Speer Gold Dots here, but mostly HST in all my handguns. I've heard that Corbon DPX is good, as well as Remington Golden Saber bonded. Any of these should suit your needs. Bonded is better if you anticipate having to shoot through barriers. Cheapest I've found HST is Striechers and prices are $21/box for 9mm HST and $23/box for any flavor of HST in .40. Ranger and Gold Dot is slightly higher.

Chad

Pretty much whatever bonded hollow points I can find. I'm running Win Ranger bonded 147gr in my 9mm and Fed Hydrashock Tactical bonded 155gr in my .40.

Re: What are you guys using for defensive pistol a

Fed HST 230 here, talking to LE and the Cop Shop, Ak LE has gone from Gold Dots to HST, they tested larger more consistent with more sharp edges.

I'm running SXT's in my .45's, and DPX in my Ruger LCP .380 hideaway. I have to admit that I'm pretty interested in the new Hornady Critical Defense stuff. Looks pretty good.

Donnie

I exclusively use Speer Gold Dots.

Because that's what I'm issued, and it's free. Free is the best damned bullet design there is - bar none.

CorBon Powrballs 100gr in .357sig

Doubletap 165gr Gold Dots in the 10mms, Speer 125 gr Gold Dots for the 357 Mag snubbie

Hydroshoks, Fed HST, Gold Dots, Ranger Talons.

I find it easiest to keep Gold Dots on hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CorBor flying ashtrays, 230 </div></div>

Thats probably the best way I've heard those described.

I also use Corbon DPX, but in the 40's.

.410 slug, 00 buck shot, .45 long colt. ( the judge ),in that order
smile.gif

sorry, I had to say that....

tedbiv

double tar 125 gr barnes hp at 1400 fps in my g 23 125 gr barnes hp @ 1600 in my g20sf WOW!!!! I love this stuff pricey but it will get er done lol