• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what are you guys using for tough tactical combat pants?

What kind of tough tactical combat are we doing? I’m going with wranglers
You know, bench shooting at the range and shooting the bull at the line. Serious stuff that requires tough military style and wearability.

ETA - I don’t need military toughness and additionally am budget limited. So I have found that the various ripstop operator pants at LA Police Gear wear pretty well for matches and all types of practice on and around barricades. I have different ones (depending on sales) that all have reinforced knees and reinforcements at the crotch and other areas that take a beating during (sorta) hard use. They wear well enough that I use them for other work tasks too.

I buy the types that wick away moisture and dry quickly when wet. Here in Florida they are cooler to wear than jeans/denim in the crush of summer.

Last edited:
taking life seriously I see....
Sorry, I should have but didn’t resist. I did edit my reply to include an actual serious answer, though it may not meet your requirements. FWIW, the LAPG pants have lasted years of regular use for me.

Reactions: DannC
My Sunday tactical pants ......
Gold-MC-Trousers-Mens-Fancy-Dress-80s-Rapper.jpg

You know, bench shooting at the range and shooting the bull at the line. Serious stuff that requires tough military style and wearability.

ETA - I don’t need military toughness and additionally am budget limited. So I have found that the various ripstop operator pants at LA Police Gear wear pretty well for matches and all types of practice on and around barricades. I have different ones (depending on sales) that all have reinforced knees and reinforcements at the crotch and other areas that take a beating during (sorta) hard use. They wear well enough that I use them for other work tasks too.

I buy the types that wick away moisture and dry quickly when wet. Here in Florida they are cooler to wear than jeans/denim in the crush of summer.
:):) I am fine.. just jabbing back in humor myself.... I am looking for military operational toughness, and I am in Pennsylvania... as a result I am not looking for light ripstop gear... want pants that will stand up to wooded, tough going in potential temps that can get and stay below freezing... being a skiier, I already have the polypropelene to go underneath... I have a pair of crye combat pants, but not looking to spend over $250 for the name brand if I can avoid it... The Duluth Fire hose gear looks good, but would like to see other ideas that have additional tactical functionality if I can collect ideas... I really do appreciate everyone's thoughts...

Reactions: lash
You get what you pay for. If you want durable ‘combat pants’ its gonna cost moneys. For what professional grade field pants cost, you can fill your closet with wranglers and toss em as they rip.

I’m a huge fan of my Wranglers, but I totally get the OPs need for something more specific to his application. Wranglers don’t fill the bill for everything.

I hate military pants, but I was in during the 80s, and I’m sure everything is different now. Someone else posted about Duluth, and I swear they are hard to beat. They make them in different weight fabric, so you can get them as tough as you need. Lots of pockets, and comfortable once you break them in a little.

Reactions: Yells01
Just find a pair of pants that have a cut that you like and can move with you. It doesn’t matter what pants you buy, clothing is a consumable item. Wear em long enough and you’ll start to create wear spots and have holes. Something like 5.11 Apex pants may last you ten years if you only go to the range once a month. Or the same pants can last you one weekend. Same goes for Crye or anything you can find. Buy what fits you well and permits mobility.

I vote 5.11 or under armor pants because they are cheap and come in various styles. When they get torn to shit in the knees, turn em into drinking (or garage/yard work) shorts. Depending on the model/color, you can wear em around and won’t have to worry about looking like a Gucciflage weirdo when you stop at the store to buy sour patch kids on the way home from the range.

Just find a pair of pants that have a cut that you like and can move with you. It doesn’t matter what pants you buy, clothing is a consumable item. Wear em long enough and you’ll start to create wear spots and have holes. Something like 5.11 Apex pants may last you ten years if you only go to the range once a month. Or the same pants can last you one weekend. Same goes for Crye or anything you can find. Buy what fits you well and permits mobility.

I vote 5.11 or under armor pants because they are cheap and come in various styles. When they get torn to shit in the knees, turn em into drinking (or garage/yard work) shorts. Depending on the model/color, you can wear em around and won’t have to worry about looking like a Gucciflage weirdo when you stop at the store to buy sour patch kids on the way home from the range.
I hear everything you are saying... I am not the type that looks like the SHTF when I go to the range... generally it is cargo shorts and fishing shirts or hunting pants (but who wants blaze orange portions on the gear in a combat scenario)... but for training for such an event, yes, for the cargo capacity with my combat belt and carrier... my question is with regard to toughness and function because if the event ever does occur, and I hope it doesn't (but my wishes have nothing to do with fate), I don't want to trade space for ammunition for space for clothing that wore out to soon... those are the details behind my request...

I use the Duluth Firehose as well. The double knee carpenter pants are a bit lighter in the heat and have a knee pad pocket for rocky ground.

Reactions: lash
Looks like they only have two sizes in stock, skinny basketball player and average basketball player.
🤣🤣
Actually, though most colors have few size choices, the coyote and steel grey colors seem to offer all the sizes in stock.

I hear everything you are saying... I am not the type that looks like the SHTF when I go to the range... generally it is cargo shorts and fishing shirts or hunting pants (but who wants blaze orange portions on the gear in a combat scenario)... but for training for such an event, yes, for the cargo capacity with my combat belt and carrier... my question is with regard to toughness and function because if the event ever does occur, and I hope it doesn't (but my wishes have nothing to do with fate), I don't want to trade space for ammunition for space for clothing that wore out to soon... those are the details behind my request...
5.11 will for the bill for ya man. You’re looking too far into this. Go with any of their styles with the flex tech and you’ll be good. Their original style models don’t have any flex so getting in and out of tight places they don’t move with ya. I mean if you want to hear the term “military” with it, military dudes and security contractors wear 5.11, so they must be rugged (lol)...and they are to a point. But there isn’t a $100 “military tough” pant out there that’s going to remain intact after skull dragging on gravel and asphalt for 48hrs straight. That said, you’ll be fine with whatever comfortable pair of pants you go with. Spend a week on a gravel/concrete range doing any sort of training and you’re going to start getting small tears. Spend a weekend busting brush in the forest or swamps and you’re going to get tears. Your first jump over a fence will see whatever you go with get caught in the wire and tear. As you cram mags in all of your pockets and start running the boogaloo mile, they’ll rattle around to the point that you’ll wish you didn’t put them in there.
If you wear your clothing in a range/field environment, it’s going to wear out. If the end of days thoughts are rattling around in there, then make sure you can sew or that you harvest pants from people of equal inseam and waist lol
Or just be a real operator and wear Jorts

+1 on the carhartts, pretty much all I wear, you can get them with cargo pockets or hammer loops or nothing. I don’t think they get you many points with ranger rick, but they come in black, brown, and OD. They do move well, and it takes a while to wear them out crawling around on concrete, breath better than jeans and they dry faster.

5.11 tac lite pro are comfortable, durable light weight cargo type pants and don't break the bank.

Another vote for tac lites. I can wear them 5 days a week at a factory or construction work and get 9 months to a year out of them. One key is not to put them in the drier (which is probably true of most things) and it greatly extends their longevity. Especially like them in warmer climates. They usually run on sale twice a year or more which gets them down to $40.

Duluth fire hose flex. Wear them every day to weld in and generally abuse them more than just about anyone else out there will. They hold up extremely well. Lots of good pockets for knives, keys, flashlights, general edc stuff. Same time pockets are slim so they aren’t flopping all about and don’t look like baggy cargo pants.

I have yet to actually wear through a pair of these pants in 2 years. They get too stained and look like homeless man has had his way with them and I have to retire them long before they get holes and generally wore out.

Actually I do have a couple holes where the metal clips on my crossbreed holster is. Holster is in my waistband 100% of the time the pants are on.

Reactions: whiskeytower
I have had plenty of Crye, 5.11, and various BDU pants issued to me, but when I buy my own they are Carhartt and Duluth. I've actually been testing out a couple pair of Tru-Spec 24/7 Xpedition pants for the past few weeks and they are surprisingly comfy and robust for the price. I'm not sure about lasting a long deployment, but good for days out in the field.

Reactions: 99mpower
Duluth fire hose for work and for EMS, but the department issues us 5.11 for duty. I prefer the Duluth

Gee, recently I've just been buying cheap mil surplus pants. I like the German/Austrian ones. Really comfortable. Made of cotton/poly blend. Cost about $30-35. Are they as well built and durable as Crye Precision? Not by a long shot. But I can buy 5-6 pairs for the cost of one pair of Crye Precision.

For more money I also like Arctery'x Leaf pants. If you're willing to buy an older/discontinued model can usually be found heavily discounted.

Kuhl Free Ryder. If you are a slim guy. Kuhl Ryder if you are average size. Once I switched to Kuhl pants I wear nothing else. Built like a tank.

Reactions: Schütze
For field pants in the hot Texas weather, I like 5.11 Apex pants. They stretch, haven't torn yet, miraculously don't stain from kneeling in the red Texas dirt/mud, and best of all they don't look like you are storming an embassy while getting post-match Whataburger.

And if you somehow do manage to destroy them, they are only $65. Mine are going on 2.5yrs now.

I actually crossed that off my bucket list

it was fun but fuck me its dangerous

I stopped after I watched the boarding barn owner become a quadraplegic right in front of me.......

Western.

Everything else is elitist snobbery.

Reactions: stefan73
Kuhl Free Ryder. If you are a slim guy. Kuhl Ryder if you are average size. Once I switched to Kuhl pants I wear nothing else. Built like a tank.

Thanks a lot for sharing! Always on the look for 42x36.... not many choices, but they actually stock my size