• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are you using after Shooters Choice Mc-7 Bore Cleaner?

mcbain1999

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2020
new york
Quick questions. What are you guys using after Shooters Choice Bore cleaner. I see some people talking about REM oil, ballistol etc... It seems that there are some Clean lubricate protect options that do all three but I guess you need to lubricate after using shooters choice as tis just a cleaner. Any suggestions?

BTW, I have a Ruger RPR in 6.5 CR and am new to precision shooter as I am sure you could tell.

Thx

Mcbain

After I use a bore cleaner and I've patched the bore dry, I just shoot my gun and repeat.

No need for anything else after cleaning. I've heard of some benchrest shooters putting something in the barrel after cleaning, Eezox maybe?

Quick questions. What are you guys using after Shooters Choice Bore cleaner. I see some people talking about REM oil, ballistol etc... It seems that there are some Clean lubricate protect options that do all three but I guess you need to lubricate after using shooters choice as tis just a cleaner. Any suggestions?

BTW, I have a Ruger RPR in 6.5 CR and am new to precision shooter as I am sure you could tell.

Thx

Mcbain
Nothing.

Putting REM oil, ballistol or any other lubricant in your bore will turn your barrel into a complete squirrel for quite a few shots. My opinion would be to use nothing but the SC7.

./

Thx

Mcbain
Now this is just my opinion, but I would dump the Shooter's Choice and use Bore Tech Eliminator. Works extremely well for both carbon and copper and will not erode the barrel at all. No ammonia like Sweet's and similar.

After I get done with wet patches, I too just patch until dry (and hopefully clean). I often then use a patch with some Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber to make sure I got all (most?) bore cleaner out. Its just a gun solvent and very volatile and will not leave any coating in the barrel. But, I actually think this is totally unnecessary and is just a sop to my OCD tendencies! haha

I never put any lubricant or rust protector in the bore. IMO, better to keep the gun in a reasonably dry and temp controlled area (like a safe with a Golden Rod or similar) and just avoid any condensation.

Cheers

Some guys use a little Kroil for long term storage. Kroil is great anti seize oil that should be in every household shooters or not. I think that this is the product that Gil P. may be referring to that benchrest shooters often use. But Terry is right that if you shoot your gun every few months or so this shouldn't be necessary and any lubricant will turn your barrel 🐿️ and should be dry patched out before shooting. The BT Eliminator is also good and states that it has anti rust properties. Eezox is a great rust inhibitor that I use on my pistols for long term storage. Be aware that it will take the finish off of a wood stock in no time. It is a little harsh and I would be hesitant to leave in my barrels for long term storage.