• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are your 40X plans?

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
I got in on the CMP 40X deal (complete heavy barrel). I'm really excited about this rifle. Was wondering what everyone else is planning to do with theirs?

My plan is to turn mine into a trainer for my 700 LTR. I'd like to get it as close as possible to weight / feel / etc. To that end:
-Cut and recrown barrel to 20"
-Install LTR stock (I WTB if anyone has a take-off!)
-Install Badger bolt knob
-Install SAS suppressor mount brake. (Not for the brake's sake, but the ability to mount my 7.62 stainless SAS can on it. Although I've heard 22 is a no-no through centerfire cans, apparently Tim @ SAS says no worries and he'll fix it if anything bugs up...)
-Install and shim one piece scope base (probably an EGW for this trainer).

Those are my immediate plans. I'm also keeping a close eye on CDI's repeater conversion progress. If that takes off then that will definitely be on my list also. I also need to figure out a decent scope that is reasonably priced. My 308 wears a USO SN3 (IPHY / IPHY), but I just can't justify spending that much for a scope for a 22. I love the IPHY / MOA system, but man I wish someone would make a $500 class scope with it.

Does anyone know if the 40X heavy barrel will fit OK in an LTR stock? I'm hoping so.

So, what are YOUR plans for your 40X???

Re: What are your 40X plans?

When my 40x HB gets here the initial plans are to mount up my spare 4-14x44 Falcon, Harris BRM-S and spend some time sending some rounds downrange.

Depending on how it goes I will probably replace the stock with another B&C Light Tactical and an Eagle Stock pack to mirror my duty rifle.

I want to make the 40x a trainer for my 700, but I don't know if I will be able to resist the wood stock. It just depends on the condition. I love blued classics with wood stock. Reminds me of my first rifle (a Remington .22LR).

I just bought Tung oil, walnut stain, sanding blocks, and also filler. I figure for the CMP stock, I'll restore it, but try to make it look original.

I've had other 40X that I shortened the barrel on, added badger knob, etc. I just received one that is minty (not a CMP). Gonna see how she shoot, and leave her be. Just something about wood, and fine blueing.

All this talk of wood and blueing is making me wish I ordered two! Oh well, I really want a trainer set up so that's what mine is doing. Sounds like this is the last of the CMP 40Xs... again, REALLY glad I jumped on it.

My USMC version will be restored to as correct as possible. The HB will see a scope, and be used for a trainer. The USMC will collect dust more than likely.

The Heavy Barrel is VERY heavy and much larger contour than the current Varmint bbl on the Remmy's.

I don't know if it will work on the LTR stock, I'd just wait to check it, if it was me, before I bought one. I don't know if you will be able to relieve enough of the bbl channel to make it work.

I re-contoured my bbl and it is still much larger than a Remmy Varmint Contour, I had to sand a bunch out of my B & C Medalist to get it to fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Midodgeguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My USMC version will be restored to as correct as possible. The HB will see a scope, and be used for a trainer. The USMC will collect dust more than likely. </div></div>

+1

This is what I did with my last 4X trainer project;
brace.jpg

I have another 40X on order and will probably build it up in an AICS 2.0 to match my other centerfire rigs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Heavy Barrel is VERY heavy and much larger contour than the current Varmint bbl on the Remmy's.

I don't know if it will work on the LTR stock, I'd just wait to check it, if it was me, before I bought one. I don't know if you will be able to relieve enough of the bbl channel to make it work.

I re-contoured my bbl and it is still much larger than a Remmy Varmint Contour, I had to sand a bunch out of my B & C Medalist to get it to fit. </div></div>

Good to know, and thanks for the input. In looking at my LTR, I'm optimistic that I could make it fit, even if it meant a bunch of sanding to open the barrel channel up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmussack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I did with my last 4X trainer project;
brace.jpg

I have another 40X on order and will probably build it up in an AICS 2.0 to match my other centerfire rigs. </div></div>

AWESOME!!! That kind of similarity is what I'm going for. Well done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Midodgeguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The USMC will collect dust more than likely. </div></div>

For a lot of us, that's sad to hear.

Lots of us that would have shot the hell out of them lost out because the collectors bought then to stash away.

Not bashing, it's your money and your rifle. Just keep in mind, it won't be any less valuable if you send some rounds downrange now and then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I re-contoured my bbl and it is still much larger than a Remmy Varmint Contour, I had to sand a bunch out of my B & C Medalist to get it to fit. </div></div>

Did you loose any accuracy with the re-contour?

I am just wondering, because I don't know if I want to hog out a B&C stock to get it to fit, or just have the barrel turned down to something close to a varmint contour.

OTOH, if it's close to M40 profile I will probably just drop it in my return stock until I get an action for that build.

I have a return stock, will build a trainer complete with a MST 100 as a little brother to my RTE built M40A1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Midodgeguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The USMC will collect dust more than likely. </div></div>

For a lot of us, that's sad to hear.

Lots of us that would have shot the hell out of them lost out because the collectors bought then to stash away.

Not bashing, it's your money and your rifle. Just keep in mind, it won't be any less valuable if you send some rounds downrange now and then. </div></div>

I definately intend to shoot it, but it will not see much unless some of my Marine buddies want to bust out theirs and have a little competetion. A few of my buddies picked these up the last go-round at CMP and I unfortunately didn't. Knowing how few were produced I would like to have a prime original one, just like a classic car. Sure I will drive it, but it wont be a daily driver.
smile.gif

The 40X "standard" barrel is a pretty close match to the profile Remington uses on the 700P. I don't have a varmit barrel around, but bet it is much closer to that as well. The "heavy barrel" is just that, a very heavy barrel - close to 1" at the muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got in on the CMP 40X deal (complete heavy barrel). I'm really excited about this rifle. Was wondering what everyone else is planning to do with theirs?

My plan is to turn mine into a trainer for my 700 LTR. I'd like to get it as close as possible to weight / feel / etc. To that end:
-Cut and recrown barrel to 20"
-Install LTR stock (I WTB if anyone has a take-off!)
-Install Badger bolt knob
-Install SAS suppressor mount brake. (Not for the brake's sake, but the ability to mount my 7.62 stainless SAS can on it. Although I've heard 22 is a no-no through centerfire cans, apparently Tim @ SAS says no worries and he'll fix it if anything bugs up...)
-Install and shim one piece scope base (probably an EGW for this trainer).

Those are my immediate plans. I'm also keeping a close eye on CDI's repeater conversion progress. If that takes off then that will definitely be on my list also. I also need to figure out a decent scope that is reasonably priced. My 308 wears a USO SN3 (IPHY / IPHY), but I just can't justify spending that much for a scope for a 22. I love the IPHY / MOA system, but man I wish someone would make a $500 class scope with it.

Does anyone know if the 40X heavy barrel will fit OK in an LTR stock? I'm hoping so.

So, what are YOUR plans for your 40X??? </div></div>

The Heavy barrel 40-x will not fit the LTR stock in its original form. Either the barrel will need to be recontoured or the stock barrel channel will have to be openned up to fit the heavy barrel contour. Since you want your 40-x heavy barrel to feel like the ltr you will need to also add flutes to your barrel since the ltr has them thus making the ltr barrel that much lighter. You may be able to cut the barrel to 18"-19" and leave the contour and still get the same weight as the ltr but you definitely will need to add flutes for the barrel in this configuration. Short and fat barrels should be more ammo forgiving meaning the barrel should be less picky about ammo (it has to do with the fact that the amplitude of the vibrations are much smaller with a short and fat barrel).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: an1913t</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 40X "standard" barrel is a pretty close match to the profile Remington uses on the 700P. I don't have a varmit barrel around, but bet it is much closer to that as well. The "heavy barrel" is just that, a very heavy barrel - close to 1" at the muzzle. </div></div>

+1 on the std barrel being close to the contour but a little lighter than the remington varmint barrel as well as the 700P barrel contour since they are essentially the same contour. But the Heavy barrel is only 7/8"= 0.875" at the 28" muzzle (they way I read your comment "close to 1 inch at muzzle" sounded like 0.950"+ to me). Now if you cut the heavy barrel to 20" it will be much closer to 1" at muzzle.

Hope this helps,

Gene

I ordered two and plan to make one a trainer and keep one basically stock with iron sights.

still hoping mine actually shows up........got estore confirmation and sent in docs priority mail the next day but I have never bought from them and am trying to not get my hopes up. I had a HB before but had to sell it. Really hoping it works out.

Like others have said:
standard barrel=rem varmint contour (almost anyway)
HB=pretty close to MTU contour.

I had to open up a PSS stock pretty considerably to get my previous HB to fit. In the PSS they are very front heavy. Cutting them down will help but make sure someone who knows what they are doing does the work. They need to be cut at a "tight spot" in barrel.

My plans......bought youth stocked HB. Gonna keep stock to train my daughter how to shoot some day (she's 2) and until then I am gonna find a MTU contoured A5 or A3 and make a rem700 trainer. Might look into having barrel cut down to about 22 but that will be later. Really have my fingers crossed!!!!!

I here ya - wont believe it til they come.
I'll keep ones stock for peeps and will build one
up as a tac job - I'm still hashing on the details.
My list so far is a 20min base and a 2 stage trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ker2222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">still hoping mine actually shows up........got estore confirmation and sent in docs priority mail the next day but I have never bought from them and am trying to not get my hopes up. I had a HB before but had to sell it. Really hoping it works out.

Like others have said:
standard barrel=rem varmint contour (almost anyway)
HB=pretty close to MTU contour.

I had to open up a PSS stock pretty considerably to get my previous HB to fit. In the PSS they are very front heavy. Cutting them down will help but make sure someone who knows what they are doing does the work. They need to be cut at a "tight spot" in barrel.

My plans......bought youth stocked HB. Gonna keep stock to train my daughter how to shoot some day (she's 2) and until then I am gonna find a MTU contoured A5 or A3 and make a rem700 trainer. Might look into having barrel cut down to about 22 but that will be later. Really have my fingers crossed!!!!!
</div></div>

20moa base is a must for me too. Gotta get to 200yrds from 50yrd zero. Might actually go with a 2 piece base to ease loading.....

I am gonna wait to see how the trigger is before I make a decision on that. tough to beat the older rem triggers if they haven't been messed up

I see I'm amongst friends.

I bought one, but really wish I had bought two. One to keep in the original form (iron sites) to teach my kids to shoot in the future.

The other I'd like to mirror my 700 setup. Hopefully I can find another one.

+1 to hoping they show up. Sending my paperwork tomorrow!

The 'standard' barrel is a bit smaller/lighter than a Rem factory Varmint contour. Standard barrel diameter is .750" @ 28" but the way it is tapered won't be much less @ 26" or even 24".

Remington Varmint/PSS are .830" @ 24" for older ones and because of taper still roughly .820-.830 @ 26" on newer models.

The heavy barrel 40-XB @ 28" is .9"

The 40-XR (R suffix instead of B) with a 24" barrel are much closer to the Varmint contour and are about .880" @ 24". They will fit into a factory Varmint or PSS stock with little trouble.

The HB model will actually fit the BC of a Return stock with no issues except relieveing bedding @ lug as the 40-XB lug does not have the 2 degree taper used on the M40A1's

40-XB22and308s001.jpg

40-XB22and308s004.jpg

Centerfire in front, rimfire in rear of both pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmussack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I did with my last 4X trainer project;
brace.jpg

I have another 40X on order and will probably build it up in an AICS 2.0 to match my other centerfire rigs. </div></div>

This exactly what I plan to do. I got one barreled action and one complete. the complete version will stay that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Centerfire in front, rimfire in rear of both pics.</div></div>

Sweet Mother of God, those are nice.

I'm going to clean it up and shoot it.

Then, I'm going to get my SPS Tactical, get a new barrel, wood stock, Redfield sight bases, remove the Leupold bases and rings, Tasco SS scope, PSS stock, and mimic the 40X, or trade it in on a .308 40X.

I'm hoping to build a target rifle for the older kids (8&10) to learn to shoot with. Have a ton of questions -- is this the place (forum/thread), or should I post over in gunsmithing?

-Slice

Its amazing what Tung oil will do. I was just cleaning up this stock that I just received for a 40X. Makes it just luster and the grain really pop out, but still leave a satin type of finish. I was gonna sand and use some filler, possibly stain it, but the way it looks no need to do that at all. Just a few applications of Tung Oil

Did you strip it at all first or just put the tung oil on top of the current finish?

I have a can of Boiled Linseed oil laying around from when I refinished my shotgun. I am thinking I should be able to use this without stripping the old finish down.

My plans...try to stop crying myself to sleep over the fact that I missed out on the CMP 40X opportunity.

Man, they went quick...

Hi just put it on the current finish. I figured after the recommendations and reading, I'd give that a try first before trying to strip it down. It turned out great. So for $10 in tung oil and about 10 mins of total work, it was the best bang for the buck I ever did.