• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are your experiences with short-barreled 7.62 x 39 guns?

gro

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2013
Oregon
As the title states, I am looking for people's experiences with short barreled 7.62 x 39 guns. I have been narrowing it down to either a Galil Ace pistol or a PWS mk11, although saving up for a Kreb's ak-47 pistol isn't completely excluded either.

I don't "operate" or hunt so it would primarily be for fun at the range or in the woods. I have plenty of other types of firearms and I am just looking for something different. I want to stay within this caliber (you heard me right you 300 blackout fanatics ?) because, you know, 'Merica.

I have googled the crap out of all of these, but there aren't a ton of independent reviews or comments past "love mine" or " hated it and sold it to the next sucker". You guys and gals have a ton of combined knowledge and I would appreciate any experiences, good or bad you have had.

Thanks in advance.
Greg

I've inherited a AKS74U SBR. 5.45×39. Just like in the Bin Laden pictures. Fun, but blows a huge fireball. Distracting even in daylight. I could not imagine firing in a dark enclosed space. Doesn't get out of the safe much.

I had the VZ.58 folder with original barrel length (is it short enough?). Yeah it was a cool gun it various senses. Barnaul had the additional effect of both fireball and increased concussion at front, made some interesting experiences at indoor ranges... But with good ammo it was accurate enough to shoot even at longer ranges (beyond the 300 m I mean), with stock irons. Shot some practical competitions with it just fine, and even one precision rifle one (worked in pairs and this was mine as a spotter). And didn't feel very lacking anywhere. Rather, it "killed" the plates easier than 5,56 (even got one rack of 4 with 3 rounds).

Light, not too big, easy to handle - safety, mag changes, moving with it. A rifle is a rifle.

My 580xxx Mini 30 is a blast. I think it is a 16" barrel.

I bought an Arsenal Inc (SLR-107) SBR years ago and like others have said it's a fun rifle and blows a hell of a flame but in reality it doesn't leave the safe much these days. I swapped the handguards out for Midwest Ind rail and threw an RMR on top. Maybe one day I'll buy a Dead Air Wolverine for it to tame it back somewhat.

I've got a 7" AR upper in x39, but I only run it suppressed. The few rounds I put through it with the AAC 51T MB in place to ensure I was getting round holes before the can went on were insane, haha.

Fun gun to shoot, but make sure you get quality mags as those have long been the Achilles heel of x39 ARs.

The Draco is loud and a novelty to shoot... I have not shot a draco past 25 yards...

A friends Krink is a lot of fun and I have shot that a bunch at 100. we had 5 steel targets set up and would just switch between them....

5.45 has now gotten pricey... so the 7.62 is a batter route

I have a PWS MK111 mod 2 7.62x39. I love it. Stupid accurate, even with shitty ammo. Super reliable. It’s a whore, it takes all kinds of ammo. Tulammo 8m3, Hornady steelcase SST, wolf, whatever.

I love how I can run cheap ammo for $.20~ rd and good ammo for $0.30~.

Watch the sage dynamics video on the PWS 7.62x39.

One caveat, I would personally get a enhanced firing pin for 7.62x39. By enhanced, I mean it’s going to move forward 0.010” more. It has made all the difference on steel cased poo poo ammo. With that and C-Products mags I have had no further malfunctions since (thousand rounds or so, so far).

SPECS:
PWS MK111 Mod2 7.62x29 Upper
Haley Strategic Thorntail + Steamlight ProTac + Cloud Defense Pressure Switch
Rail Scales
RRS Keymod dovetail adapter plate
Q Cherry Bomb
ScalarWorks 30mm LEAP scope mount
Vortex PST Gen II 1-6x24 w/ SV-5 Throw Lever
SB Brace
PWS MOD 2 Lower
Geissele SD-E
Noveske STS 60 degree ambi safety
Magpul MOE+
Q ThunderChicken pending.

Last edited:
Reactions: long range sponge
AR platform pros are more accurate barrels available, easier to mount optics, lighter, probably less expensive than an ak, infinite variety of parts to customize, and more efficient to use suppressor. Only cons that could be argued is magazine design reliability, and bolt/extractor reliability. I would get a suppressor that is able to be disassembled for cleaning if using cheap steel case ammo.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Pretty sure I’d only buy an AK if it was a rifle dynamics AK, and even then, there’s no reason to run that over a PWS long stroke piston IMO. :geek:

I would recommend you check out the AK files "krink" section. I have a couple yugo m92 in 7.62x39. You have to run a pistol brace, or sbr it to make it of much practical use. I have a brace on a m92 and also the 556 version (yugo m85). Red dot site is a perfect match on these. The open site can be improved with a rear peep site. The muzzle blast is intense and loud with big fireballs. They are a lot of fun with a 75 round drum. I haven't attempted to mount a suppressor on mine yet. I have a new m92 and a new yugo underfolder to turn into a sbr but havent gotten around to it yet.

The CZ Bren 2 seems like a good option here with its 11” barrel

Don’t own one but I have messed with an acquaintance‘s before. From what I can tell by the way he takes about it, it must have been a blast cause every time we talked he always brought it up.

I have an AMD-65 with the original Hungarian 12.5" barrel. I have owned a number of high end AKs over the years and its by far more accurate. So accurate in fact I will never post the groups online as I would be called a liar lol. I think the short stiff barrel really enhances that platform. That said the concussion and flame from it are beastly. One of my go to pig whacking guns is an SLR-107 I had chopped at minimum legal length for use with a can on it. Once you take care of the overgassing (like a KNS Piston) AKs suppress just fine and its a better round than a 5.56 for an SBR. Or you could spend a lot more to get the ballistically identical 300 BLK (supersonic).

Last edited:
I have a draco. It is fun and of course reliable. Throws a great fireball. I can hit an 8" plate at 200 yards with the iron sites and wolf ammo about 75% of the time. I got a dead air wolverine and kns adjustable piston for it. You can now shoot it without hearing protection though I wouldn't shoot it all day like that. It is still pretty gassy but sounds great for a shorter ak. I got the draco with a brace for around $500. It may be a good option to see if a short barrel 7.62 is something you like.

I have a vz58 pistol I did a form 1 on. I Got a 107ur I did a form 1 on. I also got a m92 pap pistol I put a sba3 brace on. All are fun to shoot. Loud and big fireballs on all of them.

I really want to run them with a can. I just haven’t got around to it.

Go with an AR. Way easier for everything. Just gotta find mags that work.

Thanks everyone for your experiences, I really appreciate them.

Couple of questions:

There seems to be a magic barrel length between tolerable and fireball city, it sounds like 11 inches (like the pws) = tolerable. Krinks and m92 = an awesome light show. For those that had custom sbr lengths, was there a different length that was tolerable without a can? I will eventually get some cans, but whenever the choice is new gun now, or suppressor in 9-12 months (for my trust), the new gun always wins, but only because I am a weak, weak man.

Apart from using a suppressor, has anyone found an ak flash hider that tames the fireball on the shorties? I have a PWS CQB muzzle device on my mk 18 which virtually eliminates any flash. Obviously thats a 5.56, and it is a little heavier than most other options. They do have a .30 cal version, but Dr. Google can't find me any real reviews on it.

I have been on akfiles as well as m4carbine alot as well. While it may just be squeaky wheels, there have been more than a few draco and m92 problems, so that always nags the back of my mind as well, but they run a lot less than some of the other options. The Lynx pistols are in the same price range but are new and time will tell on durability and reliability.

I agree that the CZ Bren 2 looks good as well, and we'll see how modular they are when released.

Has anyone shot a galil ace pistol?

While not the most ergonomic, there is just something to be said for the feel and style of an ak style firearm. Although I think the 11 inch barreled PWS might win...

My 12.5" AMD is a fireball rattle your fillings. My 14" SLR107 isnt half as bad. Your answer is probably somewhere in between.

the zastava M92 is about the best of what your looking for. 10.25" barrel and only loses between 150-200 FPS from a 16,25" barrel.
with a decent red dot mines good to 200 yards easy.
AC73E866-0500-4BC8-B017-250D4D9E2A08_zps9vq56q4c.jpg
0960A785-F9FF-4D26-8DB0-01B08E3B2D19_zps7hy8thcv.jpg

sorry forgot to tell you a 4 piece AK muzzle brake can be adjusted to eliminate almost all of the muzzle flash. check them out on youtube
SB