• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are your favorite barrels

codym

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2018
New Mexico
I’ve shot and favor bartlien, had two pretty decent proof carbon barrels and a Douglas on an AR that shoots lights out. my luck has not been great with x caliber and Krieger. I would like to try a brux at some point. Wondering what your favorite cut rifled steel barrel blank is as well as carbon wrapped. I need another fast twist 25 cal barrel and trying to decide what route to go especially because it will most likely be a special order barrel as I can’t find anything in stock in an 8 twist or faster. Any good source recommendations are welcome

I have a Brux that shoots very well. That’s my 284 fclass barrel

My go to is Bartlein. Never had an issue to make me think those won’t impress

Reactions: TheBigCountry
My go to are Benchmark and Bartlein.
I imagine that there are at least a half dozen manufacturers that consistently make top tier tubes.

Bartlein, Rock Creek, Krieger, HS, Proof Research, Brux. No particular order.

Wouldn't be afraid of trying Benchmark, Preferred, Mcgowen, Schneider, Lilja... Probably many more if I thought long enough.

Reactions: Ann Ominous
Kreiger is my number one choice. Bartlien is a close second. Lothar Walther, Lilja, Proof, Hawk Hill (now CRB), Prefered Barrels have all shot good for me as well.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
My new carbon bartlein is looking to be a real hammer. I was also impressed with my old fast twist PVA osprey, it was just stupidly consistent with almost any load.

Bartlein, Brux, Krieger. In any order.

I’d try CRB (Orgains deal) if it was convenient.

So, of these barrels, can anyone order them generally by cost from most affordable to more expensive?

Looking for a pre-fit barrel for a Tikka t3x in maybe 223 or 243 (undecided). All of those mentioned will shoot better than me. Cost is a factor, so I appreciate the knowledge of the collective.

I prefer Bartlein myself. Have them on a 22 LR, just ordered a 22 cal 29" 8 twist heavy varmint for a 223 build yesterday, 264 Win Mag, 7-300 Win Mag, and two 300 Win Mags. They all shoot tits.

I also have a BRUX on a recent 6 creed build that is shooting very well.

Have also had Hart on a 338 EDGE, Shilen on a 25/06, Lilja on a 257 Wby, and Benchmark that was on my 7-300 Win Mag to start with but I had the smith yank it after the first range trip. It just wouldn't shoot better than 1 MOA. Told him to take that POS off and put a Bartlein on it. Same loads with the Benchmark that did 1 MOA shot 1/4-3/8 in the Bartlein.

I still prefer Bartleins over them all...There's just no question they're always going to shoot.

First: Hawkhill(now CRB), Krieger, Brux , ACE, Benchmark , Mullerworks, Rock Creek, Proof, Bartlein: Last.

Pretty much all the known name brand barrels are g2g. Things are settling down a bit, but for a few years you'd just shoot what you could find in a reasonable amount of time. Especially for prs/practical/steel type shooting. As it's pretty easy for most any barrel to shoot well enough for that.

If you're in a specialized discipline, you'll want to order a handful of your chosen barrel well ahead of time, as you may need to chamber a few and use the better performing barrels for match use.

Bartlein, Hawk Hill, White Oak Armament, X-Caliber and Ballistic Advantage. I've had really good results with these, even though it seems Ballistic Advantage isn't a high success rate barrel like Bartlein, etc. The Ballistic Advantage barrel that I'm really happy with is a 6.5 cm in a Mega MATEN LR-308 rifle. It was cheap so I took a gamble and it paid off, so I guess I'm lucky. I also have other BA barrels that have been mediocre and one (6.5 grendel) that was crappy.

Bartlein is my new favorite. My one example shoots great, and the support I received from @Frank Green without even directly asking him for advice is very very impressive and greatly appreciated. I’ve never had a manufacturer reach out like that before to give me some tips and get me pointed in the right direction.

Not casting shade on other barrel makers, or saying they wouldn’t do the same but my experience there is head and shoulders above any expectations I could have.

Plus that barrel is a hammer when I hold up my end of the bargain.

I was say it has to be a tie between Krieger and Bartlein, They will both shoot 99% accuracy.

I have had a number of brands and have settled on Bartlein, I can get what I want whether right or left twist, gain twist etc

I’ve only owned on brand mentioned here. Bartlein.
Everything else has been factory.
My first time shooting the Bughole/Bart was a life changing event.
The bad news, now I’m spoiled and it gets really hard to think about going back to factory or any “cheaper” barrel on a new rifle.
Just my .02……

Reactions: DubfromGA
I’ve had great luck with every after market barrel I have had. There have been a couple of stand outs though as far as simple load development and ease of cleaning. Honestly as far as barrels have come, I think the individual cutting the chamber is more important than brand of barrel.

Reactions: Buzzinga
Good stuff now to source my next 25 cal bart carbon or med Palma fast twist blank
Brux makes an excellent 25 cal blank. Ace is starting 25cal production in March. I have a few VCC contour on order, essentially same as proof comp.

Bartlein has been my primary, and now with the 400MODBB material, it's hard to justify anything else. The only downside is that they're in high demand, so if you're ordering custom, it's a bit of a wait... worth it, but a wait none the less.

So many good options, and guys will have their biases quite often based on their first experience. I'm that way with Krieger. My first Krieger was the was an absolute laser with more than one bullet and powder combo, and I've been hooked ever since while never being let down. I use other manufacturers, but Krieger is my "favorite".

In reality they all shoot just about the same. Currently I have two Bartleins and a Brux as well in my safe, and I can't crap on any of them. I have also owned a Broughton back in the day, and it was a shooter too.

Reactions: Stevo86
So many good options, and guys will have their biases quite often based on their first experience. I'm that way with Krieger. My first Krieger was the was an absolute laser with more than one bullet and powder combo, and I've been hooked ever since while never being let down. I use other manufacturers, but Krieger is my "favorite".

In reality they all shoot just about the same. Currently I have two Bartleins and a Brux as well in my safe, and I can't crap on any of them. I have also owned a Broughton back in the day, and it was a shooter too.
Broughton was the shit.

After seeing how well some friends Vudoos with Ace barrels shot I decided to have one spun up for my 6.5 Creed. I’ve been very happy with the results.

Ks arms barrels would be my top choice. I’ve owned 5-6 of them and all have been hammers. Carbon barrels, my benchmark/hells canyon and brux/hells canyon have both shot well!

Benchmark barrels have always shot incredibly well for me as well but ks arms take the cake for me.

Reactions: Chargerguy
Bartlein and PacNor (sadly, no longer in business). Just ordered a Lothar Walther barrel for a T1X 17hmr, so we shall see about that one.

Swan barrels, Australia. Im aware of a few being in USA.
Ive shot most everything, and chambered more. Swan are the most consistent ive tried. I used to use, and import many of the USA made ones prior, but ive found Swan compare to ANY ive tested against.

Any barrel that's consistently accurate, is my favorite. Bartlein & Proof, make up my most of my purchases, but have had Schilen, and McGowen barrels too. Plus Wilson Combat, are sometimes good. BA, & Faxon, not my favorites, one in 3 might be acceptable.

I’m buying a Bartlein next because Frank is always cool with me, generous with knowledge, and a nice guy, plus that reputation…

I dont know if I'm too late on this or not but any of the brand name barrels will shoot if you do your part. (though I'm not sure white oak, ballistic advantage, wilson combat or faxon do bolt rifle barrels but I could be wrong; those are usually AR barrels)
Even though some competitors don't usually favor Douglas, they have been doing it a really long time. I took a chance on one of their, what is generally considered "lower end" barrels in the industry (cut rifled vs button, and carbon steel vs stainless. usually people grade these [with no real proof, just a feeling] in order of quality/precision of cut rifled stainless first, then button stainless, then cut carbon steel then buttoned carbon steel) and had them true up the face of a 700 action and screw on a buttoned carbon steel barrel in 6.5 creed and it shoots really well. I'm super happy with it and I didn't spend a lot of money at all. Sure, it may not last as long as a cut rifled stainless tube but I rotate between so many rifles that I'll probably never shoot this thing out so that's fine with me.
If you dont want to spend a ton on a barrel and have it rebarreled there on site, send it to Douglas - they'll do the whole thing there for you in one go. I also have a stainless cut rifled K&P and was just out testing a few load ladders and she was shooting in the twos, at a hundred yards, and I was pretty elated. And that was with non ideal shooting conditions, (freezing cold and crappy bench position) and my hand loads that were not max effort either.

• Haha
Reactions: oldrifleman