• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what are your favorite low power scopes?

rukwikenuf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
i haven't officially committed yet, but i've been planning a Vortex PST 1-4X24 scope for the rifle i'm finishing shortly. if i can swing it, i'll go with the Razor HDII in 1-6x even though it's a tank. i'm going to have a Vortex (AMD) mount, but are there any other scopes in the <$1k range i should look at? i have a Leupy Turkey scope on my Mini-14, and i LOVE it.

opinions please?

The PST is probably the best value, you get great glass and features for $500. Other sub $1000 noteworthy contenders I can think of are:
SWFA 1-4
SWFA 1-6
Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4
Weaver tac 1-5
Sightron SIII 1-7
Trijicon 1-4
IOR 1.1-4
Burris XTR 1-4
Burris XTR 1.5-6
Zeiss Duralyt 1.2-5

Any of these would be excellent, though they all cost more than the PST.

Love my Pst and also using a Burris XTR 1-4 , built like a tank with covered knobs.I can see the lighted recital in the daytime also.

If you can swing the Razor II then do it. Yes it's 9 ounces heavier than the PST but you get 50% more magnification and a very clear view and huge eye box. The red dot is perfect size to draw the eye but not so big to cover targets at distance. The BDC reticle is right on and works as advertised. I got mine a couple months ago and it's a great scope on an AR. Used it last month at a 3 gun match and don't plan on looking for any other scope.

Last edited:
I have a Leupold VX2 2-7 and a Weaver classic 2.5-7 both are excellent and lighweight optics coming in a ten ounces. At the lowest setting target acquisition is quick and eye relief is forgiving on both

Vortex PST 1-4.

Regardless of price, it is the best 1-4 I have seen or used. Lightweight, clear, excellent reticle, excellent eyebox, and, of course, a value! I prefer it over a Short Dot as well.

If you can swing the Razor II then do it. Yes it's 9 ounces heavier than the PST but you get 50% more magnification and a very clear view and huge eye box. The red dot is perfect size to draw the eye but not so big to cover targets at distance. The BDC reticle is right on and works as advertised. I got mine a couple months ago and it's a great scope on an AR. Used it last month at a 3 gun match and don't plan on looking for any other scope.

yeah, that's what i'm really leaning to. however, i'll have to sell something before i can spend that much cash. anyone interested in a couple of kids?

For a good low power scope at a nice price, I like the Minox 1.5-8x...huge eye relief and good german glass for a little over $300. It was an Outdoor Life "best buy." Even has turrets that reset to zero.

I've run the Burris XTR and the Leupold VXR Patrol which are both great scopes in the under 5X range, but I've sold both and moved up to higher magnifacation.....

Anyone have any experience with Leupolds Mark AR Mod 1?

I like the looks of the one with the illuminated reticle, but I feel the price is a little steep. Thoughts?

I like the looks of the one with the illuminated reticle, but I feel the price is a little steep. Thoughts?

I think it's actually one of the few "values" from Leupold. Where it really shines, to me, is coming in at 9.6 oz. I like the firedot spr reticle pretty well and it's paired with mil adjustments! It's got 125 moa of elevation adjustment which is killer for a 1" tube, plenty for almost anything in reality. And, if so desired can be fitted with limitless custom dials from Leupold for $40 a pop. I think it offers quite a bit for the money and the glass is fine enough for a 4x optic.

The Leupold vxr patrol 1.25x4 is a outstanding piece of kit for the price and the quality.The auto shut off for the firedot is a great feature.It should do everything you need it to do

I think it's actually one of the few "values" from Leupold. Where it really shines, to me, is coming in at 9.6 oz. I like the firedot spr reticle pretty well and it's paired with mil adjustments! It's got 125 moa of elevation adjustment which is killer for a 1" tube, plenty for almost anything in reality. And, if so desired can be fitted with limitless custom dials from Leupold for $40 a pop. I think it offers quite a bit for the money and the glass is fine enough for a 4x optic.

I just wish they could nock about $60 off of them. The illuminated fire dot one that I want is almost the same price as a Vortex Viper PST (which from what I have been reading is an awesome scope for the price. I cant decide if I want the Leupold or if I want to save and pony up the extra $$ for the Vortex.

I do like how there is the Leupold Bundles where you get the scope and mount, looks like a solid mount.

I only have one, but I highly recommend an ACOG to anyone with similar needs. I use a 4x TAo1 with crosshair reticle and it is very good ll the way out to 600.

very clear optics, no adjustments, just a simple easy to read BDC (illuminated too) makes for quick acquisition of multiple targets at varied distances

I use it for competition all the way out to 600 and any 1 MOA or larger target is toast.

I've not looked through many of these low powered scopes but for having a bit of fun I've picked up a falcon 1.5-5 scope. Very solid, nice clear reticle that comes to aim nicely with a either easily visible green or red illumination. Can't really fault it for the money, though I'm sure it doesn't compare to some of the others mentioned above?

I have a friend that has one, I like it a lot. I have a USO SR-8 that I'd grab before my kids if a tornado was coming. Just sayin

Had a Mark AR mod 1. Liked id, and I think they're good value for your money. Mine had pretty mushy clicks.