• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are your feelings on the Forster 3in1 trimmer

MrOneEyedBoh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Maryland, USA!
Im after a better trimmer then the RCBS hand chamfer/deburr tool with the drill attachment. I was looking at the forster trimmer with the 3 in 1 cutter. Is it really that easy, accurate and it does all three functions in one? Seems like it would replicate each trim/chamfer and make them damn near close. Or at least better then the RCBS hand tool.

Now Im using the Lee case trimmer with shell holder and length gage. How does the Forster work on keeping the correct length when it trims?

Re: What are your feelings on the Forster 3in1 trimmer

It does look a lot faster. I also use the Lee with the length gauge, and I'm not a very high volume reloader.

My assumption was that the Forester had to be set with a set screw for case length. Looking at the pictures you set the "disk" closest to the turn handle for case length. That's why I'm sticking with the Lee: low volume and don't have to worry if I'm off a thou' on length.

If I was high volume on one caliber I'd get the Forester 3 in 1 and set it up and leave it. That would be fast.

I think it will be a decent upgrade fo you. With only one caliber to load I think I would be 100% satisfied with the Forster. There is a lot of measure-trim, measure-trim, when setting up for another caliber.

I think I will try the 30 cal. 3in1 because I am shooting/loading for four .30 cal. rifles right now, and it would be nice to just set up the Forster and not have to deal with all of the additional case prep that it will eliminate.

Setting it up is not so bad once you have done it a couple of times. I have cases in each caliber that I use as guides to get me set up to within a thousandth or so, and the I trim and measure until I get it perfect. The Forster is pretty repeatable, and with the time the three in one will save with extra case prep, I think setting it up would not bother me much.

With only one caliber to load I would definitely do it!

Thanks cobra.. So the gauge that comes with the LEE cutter is just a general size? And thus trims the brass to a published size? And this would make the brass sized to what my gun is?

427 cobra can you give me a little more info on how that gage works? That chamber gage?

You stick it into a case and chamber it. The gauge gets pushed into the neck. Once pulled out you measure the entire length of the case while it has the gauge in it. That's your rifle's max case length.

Yep, and I gaurantee you 2.005 for 308 is way too short, also trimming is more of a safety thing than a accuracy thing, too short and your chamber is getting burned up faster, too long and rounds won't chamber. My advice is not to get any trimmer that has a pilot that goes inside the neck, a pilot can and does score the inside of the neck, that will effect accuracy, just buy a Wilson trimmer and do it by hand until funds are available for a Giraud.

full length size your case. you have to modify a 308 case by drilling out the flash hole and trimming .1 shorter than the published .308 trim to length. for all purposes, 2.005 on a 308 minus .1 and i have a case length of 1.905. i used my lee cutter than chamfer tool. im sure its about 5 billion times easier with a lathe style. seat the tool into the case like a bullet .1 further out of the book max length. 308 2.015 is now 2.115. stick it in your gun, close the bolt, pull it out and measure.

my 308 aac-sd measures 2.052. never trimming brass again.

getting the insert back out is a PITA though. steel holds the brass tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My advice is not to get any trimmer that has a pilot that goes inside the neck, a pilot can and does score the inside of the neck, that will effect accuracy, just buy a Wilson trimmer and do it by hand until funds are available for a Giraud. </div></div>

I went with a forster with the 3 in 1. A lot of the BR guys use it and this is the first instance Ive read about the pilots being detrimental.. Ill look into it more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrOneEyedBoh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with a forster with the 3 in 1. A lot of the BR guys use it and this is the first instance Ive read about the pilots being detrimental.. Ill look into it more. </div></div>
This can potentially be an issue if you don't follow directions and chuck the base before inserting the pilot. The pilot should be lubed anyway so like most things, if you try to force something, something has to give. Proper operation calls for insertion of the pilot first for alignment and then locking the case into the collet.

Ahh thanks. I seen people do it both was on youtube. I was watching videos to just get an idea. What kind of lube should be used?

I use imperial; same as I do for sizing. Lots of options and opinions.

when you lube the pilot, how often to you apply? I use the lanolin/alcohol for case sizing.

I put another swipe on about every 10-15 cases. I have a Giraud now. Definately sped up the process and worth the cost if you do any volume at all.

I was looking at the Wilson, the Forster, and the Worlds Greatest Trimmer (WGT). Seems like the Wilson gets better reviews for precision/quality, the WGT is fast, but with the 3-in-1, the Forster can eliminate separate chamfer/deburr neck work and take a step out of the process.

Fair summary? I'm leaning toward the Forster and 3-in-1 to eliminate the need to chamfer/deburr. I get that the Giraud is probably the best option, but its also a lot more $$.