• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what are your thoughts on boots?

jjrgr21

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
VA
i have a knack for destroying boots, i wear them everywhere. in the last 15 years i have not had a pair last past 1 year. the toe guard will start peeling, or they'll start leaking, or the sole will peel, blah, blah.

i've had Alico's, danners, sportiva's, army issue, and my latest are kayland vertigo lights, which i love. but they started leaking, but overall they have been the best.

i have a long narrow foot, that sweats a lot.

i prefer lace to toe, with a sewn toe guard. some kinda water proof. just above the ankle height. good ankle support. i prefer light boots (no more than 50oz)

i'm tempted to buy another pair of the kaylands, but have been thinking of the wellco mojave, and the salewa alpine trainer.

thanks all

I personally am a big fan of the Lowa Zephyr. I have both the goretex model and the desert one. I prefer the desert because it breathes and my feet get really hot.

Check out crispi boots or kennetrex. They are the next step up from danners etc. I have had danner boots and abused a pair of pronghorns in water and hill country. They are still waterproof after about 6 years. The crispi is very supportive in comparison, but pricy

Rocky used to be a really cheap brand that I steered away from, but they have come out with some very lightweight boots that seem to hold up very well...

ive destroyed alot of boots too the only brand that last longer than a year for me is redwing

I have a pair of Asolo's that have held up very well. I bought a pair for my wife but she said they feel more like a ski boot so she does not wear them anymore. Back in Wyoming I often wore a pair of Koflach Arctis Expe and my feet stayed nice and warm even on the coldest days and they last forever. Now they just take up space in my closet as I don't experience cold or snow in SoCal. The down side for these boots may be the color options. The wife has a pair of Asolo's that are all black but the men's shoe is black/orange and my kof's are yellow. I see crispi's have a better color option but I have never owned them or know anyone that does so I can't comment on their quality. Now, I have so many pairs of boots issued from the USMC that I have enough boots to last me for many years to come.

I used Red Wings for years until they stopped becoming available in extra wide. I bought some Danners about 5 months ago and have worn them pretty much every day. So far so good.

Bottom line is that it comes down to fit if you have an odd shaped foot. There are fewer options available to those of us who have very narrow or very wide feet.

I'm a fan of Danner's, but I use White's for firefighting and I'll tell ya what; not going to find a better boot out there. whitesboots.com

which danners? i have the elkhunter, but don't wear them much. they are the tall model, and 600g thinsulate.

Second the Hanwag boots, have a pair of GTX boots with gortex. Best wet/cold weather boot I've had. Looking to try some Danner boots for warmer season, currently using Meindle, again, not a bad option. The Danner boots look like a quality item, though never had a pair...

Lowa..used them 25 years multiple mountain hikes..first rate fits true to size breake in instantly...

Danner isn't my favorite but I have good luck with them. Never had a pair that didn't fit, though their wide is like anyone else medium.

The Blackhawk deserts are ok, but if you are deployed longer than 6 months you'll need to take 2 pairs with you. Probably a good idea anyway.

Merrell Boots.

I have used them for years, easily 15+ pairs. Only ever had one pair with and issue earlier than I would expect. I called Merrell and they were replaced for free. They have tons of different types to fit every application.

I have a several pairs of Danner's and they are great durable boots. My go to boots however are Asolo Drifters. Check them out, very comfortable and durable, as well as waterproof!

I love my Asolo Fugative GTX's although admittedly I dont wear them a ton so I dont expect to wear them out for a VERY long time. One thing I will recommend is a better insole such as a Sole or other that is more fit to your foot. The stock one for me was a little flat and cause some foot pain after a few hours.

Edit: check out Sierra Trading Post for them. Thats where I got mine and I see they still have them. Only place I have ever seen them "on sale", but their sizes are generally limited.

Merrell Boots.

I have used them for years, easily 15+ pairs. Only ever had one pair with and issue earlier than I would expect. I called Merrell and they were replaced for free. They have tons of different types to fit every application.

I used Merrells for years in a greenhouse environment---a lot of water involved. Always loved them. Got a new pair last year which I also love.
If you have problems with longevity, buy two pairs and alternate them if you can. They will last longer than one pair after another, by about half again or more. Best is to buy three pairs and wear them in rotation a day at a time. That way, they will outlast 5 pairs one at a time.

Asolo boots have served me very well. I wear them for everything- running, working out, working, and everything outdoors.

I've been wearing a pair of ASOLO Echo's for a couple years now and they are the most comfortable boots I've worn to date...and they show no signs of wear and I use these for competitions and everyday stuff. I'm also a fan of Danner's...heavy but once broken in are completely reliable.

Meindl brand will be my next pair..although I have yet to try them, I've heard a lot of positive reviews on their comfort and durability.

Boots--a subject near and dear to my heart because I have really, really f'ed up feet from an accident and also because I wear them all the time.

1. For bow hunting where I'm hiking my ass off through semi rugged terrain but often using hiking trails to cover at least some ground and most importantly, need to be stealthy when necessary, I use the Salomon Quest 4D's. I know what you're thinking: They look hokey and too lightweight, but I have some seriously bad ankles and these things have worked really, really well. They've held up nicely, are breathable for your extra sweaty dogs and relatively lightweight. I'm really glad I discovered them. FWIW, they used to offer them in a green/black combo that you can probably still find.

2. For rifle hunting, chukar hunting, etc., when I know I'm going to be in super rugged terrain and carrying a lot of weight on overnights, etc., I use the Danner Pronghorns. Lightweight, they are not. Waterproof and bombproof, they are. Grip is excellent, support is superb and they seem to last very, very well. Not cheap, but these are my go-to boots when I know I'm going to get into rocky, alpine, ankle-breaking territory or very inclement weather. Just got a new pair after retiring my last pair which lasted 12 hunting seasons in Idaho.

3. For everyday work around the ranch, etc., I use a cheaper Danner--the Quarry. This one is simple and made in China (bummed Danner does that at all) but I'll tell you they've held up well and offer that superb Danner fit.

Very happy with my Asolo FSN95 GTX, though I don't wear them every day. They are good for temperatures between 20F and 75F.

My feet also sweat a lot. I highly recommend wearing liners under your socks. Keeps the socks, and therefore the insides of the boots dry and smelling good.

Trouble with boots is you've GOT to try them on before purchasing to get the right fit.

ETA: A BIG +1 on buying 2 or 3 pairs and rotating them. I wear cowboy boots daily, and before I began buying multiple boots and keeping them in rotation, the insides/insoles would be fucked before a year. Now that I rotate, my 3 pairs are excellent after 5 years, though they should get resoled soon. Also keeps them smelling a lot better.

Last edited:
Google search Limmer Boots, North Conway, NH.

My loightweights are going on 10 years, just resoled them last week.

If you can wait a long time they will make you a custom pair. Rack worked for me. I think Meindl may make their shelf models.

Last edited:
I used to wear danners... 10+ years. I got tired of buying new ones every year. My last pair of quarry boots lasted 11 months with about 6 months of actual use.

I got a pair of kenetrek boots 1 1/2 years ago and they are awesome! They are just about ready to be re-souled.

+1 for the Lowa Zephyr. I am hard on boots like you and these are the best boots that I have every had. Mine have lasted a rotation of NTC/preMob/and have now lasted 9 months of Afghan patrols. And they are still going strong.

Danner Jackal GTX 2, these are light weight goretex lined with a decent sole. Yes the soles are camo and don't need to be but they have decent grip in the steep. My first pair lasted 3 years as far as waterproof. I still use these daily for work on the farm. They are as comfortable as any shoe I own. I just bought a second pair. You can find lighter choices but more than likely they will be more of a high top tennis shoe style than boots. My feet sweat alot also and the goretex seems to help with this and the stunk.

R

How are you wearing out boots? I use LaSportiva and wear them everyday and never wore through or out a single pair of hand crafted Sportivas guiding and fun time, not the massed produced through but hand crafted.

To combat sweaty feet, rub on Degree anti perspiration on your feet. Use synthetic socks that will transfer more sweat and dry quicker than wool.

For long narrow feet, look at boots with more German last like Lowa, Kayland. Stay away from Scarpa, Vasque.

Also give Belleville boots a look. The soles were tested and created for the Marines on the lava fields in Hawaii. Have tried Rockies, Danners & can't get a year out of them. The soles are either worn down & shot, or the adhesive is letting go. Have 1-1/2 years on the Belleville's and they are still going strong. They tend to run 1/2 size large & come in wide & x-wide. The x-wide turned out to be too wide, even for my feet.

I'll add my two cents, West Coast Shoe Co. There is even a video on You Tube. If you need a custom fit, they do that too.

Maxwell

Scarpas by far work the best for me off all I have tried. I have two pair, Escapes and Kailashs, and most importantly the lasts in them are DL and BXX. Scarpas will fit any feet if you get the right last and size. My feet are really high volume, and other boots I have tried are torture chambers. I cannot get Lowas that fit me right, too low volume. If you get the right last and size, I cannot imagine a better option than Scarpa. You may have to go 1/2 to a full size larger as well.

Second choice??? Hanwag

I am a big fan of the Vasque Clarion GTX. I had a pair of their older model when Gore-Tex was starting to be used in boots and I've had them now for about 15 years give or take and just replaced them with a new pair and will probably have them for just as long. I do a lot of backcountry and I have the same issue with long, narrow feet that sweat like hell. Sizing and break in are no issue but I've had to stem the sweat with lots o socks, foot powder and arid anti perspirant spray. My daily duty boots are Bates but they are not waterproof worth a crap.

I currently have Danner, Asolo, Merrell and Salomon. By far the best are the Salomon Quest 4D if you're doing some serious off trail, rough terrain hiking. They're extremely light and water proof and my feet breathe very well in them. The ankle and foot support is unmatched. If I'm going to the range our running errands I usually wear Merrell or some other pair I own.

I live in Upstate New York and my feet sweat all of the time to the point they ache in the summer from heat. This last year I have been using OTB Desert Lites. Very very light and breathe fantastic. OTB has been bought out by New Balance. The Bushmasters are also very good.

OTB DesertLite Boots by U.S. Cavalry - YouTube

I thought about the salomon quest, that's the SOCOM issure boot. a couple buddies of mine really like them.

i have had a pair of la sportiva that i wear from october through march and they are on their 7th year with no end in sight.

I thought about the salomon quest, that's the SOCOM issure boot. a couple buddies of mine really like them.

This is a very common statement on boots. Just like on the Hide with recommendations, with proper fitting on boots, its not the boot that was recommended, issued, used by deltsealforceteam but what the actual last of the boot fits you and only you. We were issued Danner Ft Lewis in Alaska, boots would only last 3-6 months, sole would go slick and leather on the toe would wear through. I switched on the IMPACT with commanders approval as issue to Sportiva Lhotse and they lasted darn near a whole tour. I know its hard to fathom but every boot is built on a last and that last has to fit your foot, no one can recommend a boot without you trying it on and using it. Some lasts like Sportiva Makalu is very neutral and fits the most feet but its not for every feet. And, the person helping you fit your foot to a boot has to know how to fit your foot to the boot. I custom fit boots for years in my shop and for my clients whom I guided and sold to military not only AK but to other units as well. Too much to cover.

From what I remember, Soloman has all over last fitting.

Its sounds to me like you don't oil your boots regularly. I beat the piss out of my boots and never get more than a year either I finally started getting a year out of them when i switched to danner. Most other boots have only lasted 6-8 months. just my 2 cents

I'm a fan of Danner's, but I use White's for firefighting and I'll tell ya what; not going to find a better boot out there. whitesboots.com

I have owned 3 pairs of White's and they are 10x the boot that Redwing is. I still have two pairs, but managed to fully wear out one pair. Yes, they are old school and on the heavy side. These are standard equipment for professional smoke jumpers.

If you wear out a pair of Danner boots, best thing you can do is go get another pair. Best on the planet!
Right on! I own two pairs (I'm old fashion, believe in odd and even days). You didn't mention anything about your foot size, long and narrow-how long? Many of the boots mentioned other than Danner, only come in smallish sizes, 12's or smaller, If you have a big foot, long foot, not all those chinese made boots will fit. My Danners are made in the USA! Ft. Lewis boots, with or without insulation, best of all when they start to wear out, send them back to Danner along with $115 for the following:
Resole PackageReplace midsole as needed
Replace outsole
Repair any damaged stitching**
Replace any broken hardware
Recondition, clean, and polish leather
New set of laces
New set of insoles or inserts
Return shipping via ground
+$85 for Powerline #18200
What you end up with a an almost new pair!

Last edited:
This is a very common statement on boots. Just like on the Hide with recommendations, with proper fitting on boots, its not the boot that was recommended, issued, used by deltsealforceteam but what the actual last of the boot fits you and only you. We were issued Danner Ft Lewis in Alaska, boots would only last 3-6 months, sole would go slick and leather on the toe would wear through. I switched on the IMPACT with commanders approval as issue to Sportiva Lhotse and they lasted darn near a whole tour. I know its hard to fathom but every boot is built on a last and that last has to fit your foot, no one can recommend a boot without you trying it on and using it. Some lasts like Sportiva Makalu is very neutral and fits the most feet but its not for every feet. And, the person helping you fit your foot to a boot has to know how to fit your foot to the boot. I custom fit boots for years in my shop and for my clients whom I guided and sold to military not only AK but to other units as well. Too much to cover.

From what I remember, Soloman has all over last fitting.

my statement was incorrect, it's an authorized boot. and my reason for mentioning the "issued" is asscrackistan tends to destroy boots. and they are probably issued for a reason. but they are just authorized. but salomon shoes always fit me real well.

Its sounds to me like you don't oil your boots regularly. I beat the piss out of my boots and never get more than a year either I finally started getting a year out of them when i switched to danner. Most other boots have only lasted 6-8 months. just my 2 cents

you should never "oil" leather, and a lot of boots today are made of synthetic material, with very little or no leather.