• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk What bag to use??

JBarton

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2020
Wyoming
I have recently participated in a PRS match in Manti Utah and had a few issues that a different bag would or could help. I've been running a wiebad mini fortune cookie and love it. I am leaning towards a DRC fortune cookie but like the Armageddon gear pint size railchanger options.
The railchanger would help nock a few seconds off of changing positions where the fortune cookie will give me a little more height and surface area on different barriers and barricades.

In a perfect world I would get both. The fortune cookie is less than half the cost. The railchanger cost more and will not give me the added height. Opinions welcome.

Thanks

You don't need an attached bag to finish stages. You need to practice/dry fire more with 1 bag and and move efficiently with it.

I use an unattached 12lb AG Schmedium Plus One bag and very rarely time out on stages, and still maintain 75-80% hit percentages in matches. You'll see the same with lots of other experienced shooters.

The guys at Manti do a good job, that's been a fun and challenging match every time I've been there.

My preference on bags, and I have a pile of them including a few fortune cookies, is a game changer schmedium is the only one I'll grab if the house is on fire and I have to pick one to save.

Get a WC schmedium GC and a grey ops mini plate with the bag for it

I use the GC all the time , the plate without bag all the time. And the plate with attached bag enough to warrant it

Reactions: JBarton
Thanks for the feedback. Purchased a fortune cookie and will pick up the a railchanger later when they are back in stock to try along with a smedium gamechanger.
I've made a few tank traps and will make a barricade of some sort to practice on. The tank traps were simple and fold up to transport. I haven't come up with a barricade design yet that is cheap to build and easy to break down for storage and transport.
20220119_172111.jpg20220118_190014.jpg
I definitely need to practice. Dry firing and live while timed. The match at Manti really showed me what I need to work on. Well worth the drive and time.

I wanted to make the tank traps easy to transport, set up and break down. I am going to see how the 2x4 set up works and go from there.
Pay attention to how your club/match sets things up. As an example the NRL22 match I frequent always has the rear two legs on the concrete and the front leg lower in the dirt. It seems to make it wobble more.

Pay attention to how your club/match sets things up. As an example the NRL22 match I frequent always has the rear two legs on the concrete and the front leg lower in the dirt. It seems to make it wobble more.
Good to know. Thanks.

Be cautious when people give absolutes like “always hold wind” “don’t use a rail mounted bag”, etc.

Try it. Ms. Zane is having good success with a mounted bag. And it’s part of the reason she’s faster than most anyone (obviously not the only reason).

I like/use the Shmedium with the Gray Ops plate and the “brassiere”… Depending on how I set up the brassiere, I can leave the bag hanging loose, or tight to the plate… I rarely use the plate without the brassiere anymore, it’s sort of a “best of both worlds”.

If you look at what the top shooters are using, most are using one of the medium sized, heavy fill, waxed canvas bags as a primary bag for barricade support. The AG Schmedium and the Wiebad Puppy and Tater Tot are common selections. Heavy fill and waxed canvas construction being the common denominator.

Some are also using these bags for rear support while others carry a different bag for prone stages.

There are some instances where I have observed rail mounted bags being used, but as someone mentioned above that seems to be combined with tripod rear support in very specific circumstances. It is a second or third option from what I have observed.

I personally carry two bags. The first is a Wiebad Puppy for obstacles/barricades, the second is an Waxed Canvas OG Gamechanger with pellet fill that I use as a rear bag for shooting prone. I removed some of the fill from the GC to get it the size I wanted. In very rare circumstances I may us the GC on an obstacle where additional vertical clearance is needed for the magazine.

Sand filled med GC is noticeably more stable, for new shooters i would try it first.

The medium or small is also easier storage if you are getting used to all the prs "stuff" you need to add to your range bag to practice.

Lastly, although i hate the aesthetic of using it, a good "pillow" type bag will typically make a difference on 1-2 stages, so it can add 4-5 shots. its ammo not being wasted on mises. That is enough to learn it. Again it looks goofy AF but teaches you what a really stable vs kinda stable position is. When the best you have is a compromised postion to work with.

Someone in your squad will most likely have a good pillow and I have yet to meet someone who wouldn't share their gear, especially with a newer shooter trying figure out what works for them.

I have the pint sized and regret not getting the schmedium, so I will order one of them next. I think the vast majority of shooters will tell you to get a heavy fill Schmedium. Most have tried everything and come back to that. Don't need to learn the hard way.

As far as the mounted bag, there are MUCH cheaper options than Grey Ops. They come in really handy for certain stages, especially when you can run a tripod as rear support as mentioned.

A Lite fill and Heavy Fill schmedium would be a good plan to keep weight down in bag and still let you double bag stages where there is an advantage to it.

Reactions: Saf3sh00t3r
How so? Do you use double sided arca to hook to say a anvil 30 ?
You can do that, I actually have an adapter so i can mount the flat bag on the Anvil and shoot off it.

Just talking about the normal Flat bag on plate on rail. Its easier for an attached bag if you have to shoot multiple positions and move the tripod and gun. Its amazing how stable of a shooting position you can get doing that, almost prone level.

ProTip10-Tripod-17.jpg

You can do that, I actually have an adapter so i can mount the flat bag on the Anvil and shoot off it.

Just talking about the normal Flat bag on plate on rail. Its easier for an attached bag if you have to shoot multiple positions and move the tripod and gun. Its amazing how stable of a shooting position you can get doing that, almost prone level.

ProTip10-Tripod-17.jpg
I am planning on practicing with my tripod after watching how people use theirs at the Manti match.
I've got a few different bags that I've been working with. A couple light traust and wiebad bags of different sizes. So far my favorite all around bag is my mini fortune cookie. I've got a bigger one coming and will definitely be purchasing a smedium gamechanger. Everything in time. Shit is expensive and adds up quickly.
All in all I have some work to do and some money to spend. I'm planning on setting up "T" posts out in the desert where I shoot out to a mile this weekend. Its a pretty good firing lane, so I will mix up the distances to make it challenging. I've got a bunch of steel targets so it will be fun.
Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback. Purchased a fortune cookie and will pick up the a railchanger later when they are back in stock to try along with a smedium gamechanger.
I've made a few tank traps and will make a barricade of some sort to practice on. The tank traps were simple and fold up to transport. I haven't come up with a barricade design yet that is cheap to build and easy to break down for storage and transport.
View attachment 7789531View attachment 7789532
I definitely need to practice. Dry firing and live while timed. The match at Manti really showed me what I need to work on. Well worth the drive and time.
I build a PRS barricade that is very transportable...check out my build on YouTube:

As said above, a Schmedium GC will more than likely be all you need for 95% of the stages, especially if you're just starting out. In my experience, it's good to get to know how to use 1 bag really well, than to have 4-5 and not be experienced with any.
A rail or plate mounted bag is really only good when you need to move fast. A Gamechanger mounted to the rail is handy on a stage like a cattle gate where there might be 5+ positions in 90 seconds.

I went out this past weekend and hammered in a bunch of "T" posts in the frozen ground at different ranges. I've have a good spot where I am able to shoot out to a mile. I've got pins in at 1k, 1 mile and at my shooting position. I put the "T" posts at or around every 100-125 yards starting at 215 yards out to 700 yards (I ran out of stakes and energy) I marked them on my GPS, painted them yellow and hung my targets. I was practicing shooting off of my tank traps and a couple other things from the garage like a step ladder and folding table. I timed myself shooting multiple positions and distances out to 1k. All in all it was a good day that showed that I still need more practice. I do need to find someone to shoot with. It would help. I also will be purchasing a railchanger. If it's not for me I will post it in the PX.
I tried out were a set of Walker silencer earbuds. Wow what an improvement over earplugs. I have issues with muffs and realized during the match that I needed something more than plugs. I wasn't able to hear my impacts or my squad members.

To save my 6GT barrel life I am going to train with my Bergara 6.5cm using StaBall and 140gr hornady bthp. I did a ladder in 0.3gr increase using the StaBall and 140gr bthp 0.050" jump. I shot 3 rounds each and found a decent node that shoots well that im going to try. Time to load up some more rounds and practice. I should be getting my DLC fortune cookie this week and will practice with it this weekend.
20220122_160124.jpg
20220122_160132.jpg

As said above, a Schmedium GC will more than likely be all you need for 95% of the stages, especially if you're just starting out. In my experience, it's good to get to know how to use 1 bag really well, than to have 4-5 and not be experienced with any.
A rail or plate mounted bag is really only good when you need to move fast. A Gamechanger mounted to the rail is handy on a stage like a cattle gate where there might be 5+ positions in 90 seconds.
I figure that the rail would only get used for a handful of stages. Like you said it would only be used on stages where you move to multiple positions like a cattle gate or something similar.

Been shooting with this arca plate and Armageddon Gear sand filled bag lately, quite like it for quick movement stages where you might also have a tripod or other gear to move around... With the rifle attached, it's one less thing to worry about.

Does it conform like a full Game Changer? No, you have to tune the fill a bit to make it more supple.

The plate also gives you something to push down / pull back on to torque the rifle into position and control recoil.

It's a sometimes piece of gear but very helpful.

I normally use a Shmedium with our special fill to keep weight down.

ATX barricade.jpg

Reactions: No_Call_Reengage
Lastly, although i hate the aesthetic of using it, a good "pillow" type bag will typically make a difference on 1-2 stages, so it can add 4-5 shots. its ammo not being wasted on mises. That is enough to learn it. Again it looks goofy AF but teaches you what a really stable vs kinda stable position is. When the best you have is a compromised postion to work with.
This is truth right here. I did my first nrl22 match this weekend and didn’t use my fat bag cause I thought it looked silly against all the experienced shooters. Then the 1 stage I used it I got 8/10 hits and all the other stages I was doing way less.

This is truth right here. I did my first nrl22 match this weekend and didn’t use my fat bag cause I thought it looked silly against all the experienced shooters. Then the 1 stage I used it I got 8/10 hits and all the other stages I was doing way less.
You'll be surprised how often sitting on one can be helpful.

I’ve been practicing positional with a small SAP bag recently, my shots are less than consistent to say the least. After reading the recommendations here, I ordered a WC Shmedium bag which arrived today. It was a little full for my liking so I dumped out roughly a cup of sand so far. I must say the difference is staggering! I threw it up on the back of a chair and the hold is so much easier now. I still might play with the fill level but I am really liking this thing. Also it seems to be a pretty decent rear bag as well, can’t wait to get it back out to the range.

I have heard that many are mixing sand and lighter fill in the schmedium to reduce the overall bag weight. MAybe someone who went that rtoad could share a successful recipe of the mix?

I am trying out the full size fortune cookie. It's bigger than what I'm used to running. I'm going to remove some of the fill on it to make it more manageable.
I have been talking to a couple of locals that run in some matches. They all like the smedium gamechanger. I will probably pick one up to try.

Thanks for all of the advice. Much appreciated.

I have heard that many are mixing sand and lighter fill in the schmedium to reduce the overall bag weight. MAybe someone who went that rtoad could share a successful recipe of the mix?
I wouldn’t mind loosing a little weight on the bag as long as it didn’t give up stability. I used mine over the weekend on barrels, barricades, and a 4x4 tank trap in 15+mph winds. I can see why everyone recommends this bag.

I wouldn’t mind loosing a little weight on the bag as long as it didn’t give up stability. I used mine over the weekend on barrels, barricades, and a 4x4 tank trap in 15+mph winds. I can see why everyone recommends this bag.
I run my AG Schmedium and Flatbag with the Precision Underground Purge-Lite fill. Its not as light as Git-Lite but half the weight of the AG standard fill and locks up pretty close to heavy fill sand. The AG Schmedium standard filled bag is 4 pounds the PU fill at the same 80% volumes is 2 pounds.

Schmedium size bag heavy fill. Tried the bigger bag and it felt awkward. Mounted bags can be a problem on some stages. Have seen people have clearance issues getting in tighter areas.
Made a plate to try for stability. Tried it on two stages in different matches. Have not used it since. For me it interferes with getting rifle level and getting it “cradled “ into the bag. Some like them though.

Schmedium size bag heavy fill. Tried the bigger bag and it felt awkward. Mounted bags can be a problem on some stages. Have seen people have clearance issues getting in tighter areas.
Made a plate to try for stability. Tried it on two stages in different matches. Have not used it since. For me it interferes with getting rifle level and getting it “cradled “ into the bag. Some like them though.
I've heard similar responses about the rail mounted bags. Looks like I will be trying out a smedium gamechanger.

Reactions: HenryRed
I've heard similar responses about the rail mounted bags. Looks like I will be trying out a smedium gamechanger.
I ordered a grey ops mini v2 with the plate bag, seems to look a little thinner than the rifle on top of my Shmedium for tight areas. I also ordered a Shmedium brassiere to keep the bag in place on tank traps and what not, had the bag fall on the ground a couple times swapping positions. Lastly I ordered a small bag of git-lite so I can do a hybrid fill.

I ordered a grey ops mini v2 with the plate bag, seems to look a little thinner than the rifle on top of my Shmedium for tight areas. I also ordered a Shmedium brassiere to keep the bag in place on tank traps and what not, had the bag fall on the ground a couple times swapping positions. Lastly I ordered a small bag of git-lite so I can do a hybrid fill.
I run both of those. The Gray Ops V2 mini plate, brassiere and schmedium works best with cattle gates. I find using it on tank trap tips awkward as it's almost never going to sit best on it on the same line as the rifle and your intended POA. Better to run them separately in my experience. The AG flat bag for the mini plate is a good add it can get into some tight spaces. I took the hooks off though and just run the velcro straps through the holes on the plate.

My go to bags are the AG Shmedium and the Wiebad Tater Tot - just depends on the prop. Both are heavy fill so not fun to carry both around. The only time I run a bag connected to my rifle is if I'm going to use a tripod for rear support.

I have an AG Pint Sized Railchanger and an AG Sticky Schmedium. They each have their place. For me, my preference is the Pint Sized for most stages. when I need the Railchanger option I have it available. I use the Sticky Schmedium on tank traps or anything else needing a little more surface area or where I need the bag to NOT move like a sideways roof. My back pack now weighs as much as a Sherman Tank with both of them in there, but I have the right tools for the job when required.

I have an AG Pint Sized Railchanger and an AG Sticky Schmedium. They each have their place. For me, my preference is the Pint Sized for most stages. when I need the Railchanger option I have it available. I use the Sticky Schmedium on tank traps or anything else needing a little more surface area or where I need the bag to NOT move like a sideways roof. My back pack now weighs as much as a Sherman Tank with both of them in there, but I have the right tools for the job when required.
I have both size fortune cookie bags and am going to get the pint size railchanger next.
I have found that I mainly use my smaller fortune cookie for almost everything. My larger fortune cookie is used mainly for prone ELR type shooting. The heavier the bag the better though.
The heavy fill is a must. I have a traust bag with lite fill and it is pretty much for hunting now.

Reactions: todd
I went into mile high the other day, I've got my first match coming up and figured I'd grab a bag that'd do better than my rear bag. The guy showed me a few bags, obviously I heard the names gamechanger and fortune cookie a lot and after his brief rundown I landed on the waxed canvas MFC with the non skid bottom. Got home and put it on my baracade and it turns out I still suck. My wobble zone is defiantly smaller (maybe %70) of what is used to be but I'm having problems quickly getting my NPA sorted out.

If I switch it'd probably be to the schmedium gamechanger. I'm sure there will be some at the match I can screw around with.

I went into mile high the other day, I've got my first match coming up and figured I'd grab a bag that'd do better than my rear bag. The guy showed me a few bags, obviously I heard the names gamechanger and fortune cookie a lot and after his brief rundown I landed on the waxed canvas MFC with the non skid bottom. Got home and put it on my baracade and it turns out I still suck. My wobble zone is defiantly smaller (maybe %70) of what is used to be but I'm having problems quickly getting my NPA sorted out.

If I switch it'd probably be to the schmedium gamechanger. I'm sure there will be some at the match I can screw around with.
I cant complain, I like my mini fortune cookie bag for barricades. Talking with other shooters at matches its a mix but they tend to go with the smedium and pint size gamechanger with heavy fill. I will definitely be starting with the pint size.

Good luck at your match. It's a great time.

Last edited:
Got home and put it on my baracade and it turns out I still suck. My wobble zone is defiantly smaller (maybe %70) of what is used to be but I'm having problems quickly getting my NPA sorted out.
Taking some time to work on HOW to get yourself into a more stable position at the house, without the pressure of the clock, is extremely helpful. Take some time to try different things to see what works best for you. Try changing small things, one at a time, to see how they affect your wobble zone. The most important thing is to remember to try and center your wobble zone on the target to give yourself the best chance to make hits. If you have a 1 MIL wobble, try to have .5 on the left, and .5 on the right of the target. Have fun!

Taking some time to work on HOW to get yourself into a more stable position at the house, without the pressure of the clock, is extremely helpful. Take some time to try different things to see what works best for you. Try changing small things, one at a time, to see how they affect your wobble zone. The most important thing is to remember to try and center your wobble zone on the target to give yourself the best chance to make hits. If you have a 1 MIL wobble, try to have .5 on the left, and .5 on the right of the target. Have fun!
Was just playing and with time and no pressure I'm sitting at .2-.3. I think a big part of it is the wind. It's been killing me trying to get outside in 30+ mph wind. I can get the standing positions inside though. Ill do my best at building and breaking.

20220508_185728.jpg

20220508_162419.jpg

As far as bags go, I really like how the MFC molds to the gun and makes a good surface in general. Playing with them in the store, this was the big selling feature for me.

Reactions: cheeko and todd
Was just playing and with time and no pressure I'm sitting at .2-.3. I think a big part of it is the wind. It's been killing me trying to get outside in 30+ mph wind. I can get the standing positions inside though. Ill do my best at building and breaking.

View attachment 7866099
View attachment 7866103
As far as bags go, I really like how the MFC molds to the gun and makes a good surface in general. Playing with them in the store, this was the big selling feature for me.
I always use a step ladder for inside. It lets you practice at multiple heights pretty easily.

A good note on my invoice from AG made me LoL today, finally got around to trying their GreyOps bag for a plate attached option...

2LNS86OxJoO2Zf7PFzVLPPuZqVkBVwWodo5gqmpOWA6ixpzXjvcQg4C5l6yajGYMMctYsIxKEnS6kc2Yn8dzMx9rdmcwGu0yvixAiE0WdzA4YPO4Xr-jxUFDdfiCIDhE-fhK3zND_DVNsCX6hAdjDkw888J7BSgbEa9ez3XYNxplC83wECYcZtnLc6eQOcLpbG5TIsaug8FDIoGs-Laz5LlJpChDbyHYxx4ytHTEphg7sCsf90OynCUxWSG3Wu94P2bdZ99z0A_txEhU93tGigsFfsg5j5OPZlEI3uU7dWJxtctN-KoVm0stWS7XvfBj_fsxbrSYMDLZiU3_LW7glZHVXNH62ALy7XsHGApGaAoBoz-2UpCmtdWP-0XaGSzA20IWbbFPG4RkvRaZSf__6eXFV3hi-Hj4ETo-CbUpAGH4t6CnPHI0CmGTTtNGQfGMgUe4sNCJ0L0YT8SBsg0z2C-w9a1OFo9sK08-9mGK5synZadzxJ2iiIM9IynMnUexRF_PZhjP9JW_w4ovEmVc2KEz9J0Kj0wBfj6Dq5tRWGKVbaLgvY2r2UJzCGxCB9TUeYSOInLpiS_IMCaECMJpWi5tJPQmUO6Pkg8a0yJBbn60FMRcoQLhTtn0ln6JEinQ4tLHjI7SL33Nez7FqNMberNgVbz9fMBEhLAEWKtrFF-pGrtf7PmEyuc9SAX5oSeAxGAE3xpMsPqgnhHM_ErcM3YSvqYOZ_fWYM_vAr6vX09AJ7NZF94SNGwkqW3cmkQ=w471-h625-no

Reactions: JBarton and cheeko
What's a good rear bag for just shooting off the bench? I don't shoot prs but need a rear bag for shooting groups off the bench. I'll be using a Harris bipod on the front. Is something like a TAB bag too small?