• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bags would you recommend for PRS?

FlashAndPoof

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Trying to figure out which bags to get first. Getting lessons soon and was told to at least bring a rear bag so I'm leaning towards the SAP Run 'N Gun bag. Any other bags I should look at?

Game changer....it really does so a lot....and a good rear bag you are comfortable with...that's a little more personal choice.

ZY

I second the Game Changer for the front. For the rear, I use a TAB Gear zipper pouch rear bag. You can fill it with whatever you want. I use air soft BBs and some of those decorative smooth stones that go in vases. Enough heft and works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red tac gear tactical pillow at OC Tactical, hands down the best rear bag you'll ever get your hands on.

I have a SAP Run'n'Gun...I'll sell it to you.

I think if I had to have just a couple I'd have a Gamechanger and a Pump Pillow. Gamechanger works really well as a rear bag too.

I would start with Game Changer, Str8 laced, and pump pillow, and you would be covered.

Last match I shot was a "one bag" match. Pretty much everyone ran a gamechanger. I'd get that first, then a rear bag of some sort, then a pump pillow last.

Brilliant,...:) shows how PRS has rapidly become an equipment race and far removed from anything close to tactical or practical.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. Go look up videos of top PRS guys like Dave Preston or others cleaning tough barricade stages with short time limits. He barely uses any gear at all, just a tiny sandbag to put between the rifle and the barricade. Just smooth, fast, and accurate shooting under tough practical conditions.

What's funny to watch is the guys who THINK that its an equipment race, go to a stage with 3 pump pillows clipped onto their belt, and miss half the targets.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. Go look up videos of top PRS guys like Dave Preston or others cleaning tough barricade stages with short time limits. He barely uses any gear at all, just a tiny sandbag to put between the rifle and the barricade. Just smooth, fast, and accurate shooting under tough practical conditions.

What's funny to watch is the guys who THINK that its an equipment race, go to a stage with 3 pump pillows clipped onto their belt, and miss half the targets.

Seriously?... this is sport/IPSC with a rifle not tac or practical. Practical rifle started in Europe in the late 70's and morphed into CSR, much like what you have now. Its fun sport shooting don't confuse that with a real world discipline.

Well hell, they're all "sport" and not practical until someone's shooting back at you. And I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

This is what I was referring to when people get all hung up on the "PRS uses too many bags" or "arms race" complaints.

Hopefully you can see this video. This is what the winning shooters are doing....

https://www.facebook.com/DavidPrestonPRS/videos/1914424098801776/

Well hell, they're all "sport" and not practical until someone's shooting back at you. And I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

This is what I was referring to when people get all hung up on the "PRS uses too many bags" or "arms race" complaints.

Hopefully you can see this video. This is what the winning shooters are doing....

[video]https://www.facebook.com/DavidPrestonPRS/videos/1914424098801776/[/video]

That was a solid display of shooting. Movement was 100% controlled and seemed almost dry runish. Lots of practice and confidence. Motivating stuff. Much respect to David.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

You are 100% correct! People can continue to come out with new products, but nothing will overcome work ethic.

The bottom line is that the best shooters will win no matter what gear restrictions are put in place or if there are no gear restrictions.

https://www.facebook.com/DavidPresto...4424098801776/

exactly...guys can have all the gear in the world and if you dont know how/when to use it, its worthless

last match had a perfect example...there was a large tree branch/log and lots of guys were strapping a bag under their rifle fore end and then tryin to go prone, but the bag, made it too tall...i ran a small rear bag in the rear and it was nothing more than simple prone...

most of the guys ive seen complaining about 'gear race' are ones who think theyd be top shooters, if the gear was restricted...but they would still get smoked...just using the gear excuse makes em feel better at night when they get tucked in

as far as bags go...i usually shoot prone higher than most so i have a wiebad tac pac, pump pillow, and currently running a game changer also...will likely switch it out the game changer for a wiebad fortune cookie when they are released...i usually just pick whichever one i feel works best for the stage/position...rarely run more than one bag on a stage unless its something like a bag strapped to the front and a small rear bag, because the terrain is too awkward for a bipod/prone

Last edited:
"...just using the gear excuse makes em feel better at night when they get tucked in"

LOL! very good..........:)

What's this "fortune cookie"? I haven't seen anything about it.

only a few out there right now, similar function to the game changer, but different shape and has some non slip material in the groove so when u put it on slanted pipes/wood/etc it doesnt slide down or walk on you

I have been running a rear bag (Str8Laced) and a game changer and kept everything else in the trunk. With practice those two bags will work for pretty much every match.

Last fall I attended a 2 day PRS style shooting clinic put on by Tyler Payne. Tyler is one of the best shooters in the sport right now and I learned a ton from him. One of the big takeaways for me was him talking about the mistake people make of training themselves to be dependent on all this gear...especially bags. Watching him run a rifle is amazing and he puts a focus on training hard to be as minimal as possible.

I'm newer to this style shooting, shot three matches now. I'm taking what Tyler said to heart and trying to learn positional shooting challenges with as little gear as possible. I think this makes one a better shooter. If one trains to build positions only by relying on a bunch of gear, how does one perform when the gear is absent? I've found that a rear bag does most of what I need but I have used a gamechanger, and a pump pillow bag a few times but that's the exception. And honestly, when I drag out those other bags I end up not shooting as good as I hoped to. The best I ever shot off a barricade was when Tyler had us shooting them without any bags...wish I could always shoot a barricade stage as good as I did that day LOL.

Last fall I attended a 2 day PRS style shooting clinic put on by Tyler Payne. Tyler is one of the best shooters in the sport right now and I learned a ton from him. One of the big takeaways for me was him talking about the mistake people make of training themselves to be dependent on all this gear...especially bags. Watching him run a rifle is amazing and he puts a focus on training hard to be as minimal as possible.

I'm newer to this style shooting, shot three matches now. I'm taking what Tyler said to heart and trying to learn positional shooting challenges with as little gear as possible. I think this makes one a better shooter. If one trains to build positions only by relying on a bunch of gear, how does one perform when the gear is absent? I've found that a rear bag does most of what I need but I have used a gamechanger, and a pump pillow bag a few times but that's the exception. And honestly, when I drag out those other bags I end up not shooting as good as I hoped to. The best I ever shot off a barricade was when Tyler had us shooting them without any bags...wish I could always shoot a barricade stage as good as I did that day LOL.

I couldn't agree more. I really try to focus my practice on doing things harder than they will be in matches, dry fire off barricades with a simple bag or no bag rather than the game changer. If you practice with with nothing as well as practicing with your equipment options it helps you to know when the best time to leave the gear behind and just shoot the simplest possible stage that will get you the best results.

Of course the biggest hurdle for me is adrenaline management.... what's easy in practice becomes very hard in a match.