• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Ballistic Solvers Offer Banded/Multi BC?

FourT6and2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I've been using Trasol for years with good results. The ammo I use has published banded BC (Hornady .264, 140gr ELD-M) and I'm curious how this might look.

What ballistic solvers/apps utilize banded BC functionality? Another option is to try 4DOF, which doesn't use BC at all?

Reactions: 338dude
I've been using Trasol for years with good results. The ammo I use has published banded BC (Hornady .264, 140gr ELD-M) and I'm curious how this might look.

What ballistic solvers/apps utilize banded BC functionality? Another option is to try 4DOF, which doesn't use BC at all?
Strelok Pro, Shooter (basically an early version of AB), GeoBallistics (can use 1 rifle for free).

I use the shooter app
DF9724B8-2887-4766-8A7D-6AFCE981E5CE.png

Why not use Hornady 4DOF app which is free and has drag curve models and not just ability to put in banded BC.

And of course Applied Ballistics but if you want his full bullet drag curve library it does cost

These curves are determined with very high end Doppler radar at many points along the flight path.

Just a thought

Why not use Hornady 4DOF app which is free and has drag curve models and not just ability to put in banded BC.

And of course Applied Ballistics but if you want his full bullet drag curve library it does cost

These curves are determined with very high end Doppler radar at many points along the flight path.

Just a thought

I've been playing with the 4DOF and comparing against what I currently use (Trasol). The results are similar. But Trasol's interface is so much better and easier to use. And I have to really go in an alter the data for each distance in 4DOF to make it line up with Trasol, which is spot on in the real world out to 1,000 yards. So if 4DOF and banded BC is supposedly better, why are the ballistic solutions off? I need to play around with it more.

And the reason I'm even looking for a different option is because I was contemplating getting a Kestrel with either AB or 4DOF so I wouldn't need my phone. There's no way for me to test out AB before buying (their online calculator is broken). And 4DOF only seems to line up with my DOPE after going in and doing a deep dive to change things at each distance and it looks like I have to do that each and every time? But I'm not super familiar with the app yet.

Same here. I have 4DOF, STRELOK, BallisticsARC, TRASOL and have had a couple others. TRASOL is my default.