• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What barrel brands should I be looking at???? (Rem 700 long action)

joker1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
Hey,new guy here! "HI" :)

I know this probably has been asked on here a billion times ,but did not see a "sticky" on it,nor did I see any previous post on it,so here goes...........

I am getting ready to take on the venture of a complete build of a REM 700 long action. (Up to this point all I have worked on is my Garands) I have been SLOWLY gathering intel on what I need to be purchasing.I wanna do a 308,30 06, or MAYBE a 7MM(NOT likely,but maybe.) I WILL NOT be doing a "barrel burner",hight speed round like a 300 WM,338 L,ETC. I am thinking a 24" barrel with like an M 24 miltary contour? This is going to be a target rifle for no more than 1000 YDS

There seems to be MANY barrel manufacturers out there.Who should I use? What should I be looking for????

.308 is a SA, not a big fan of 30-06 for target (just better rounds out there) I would do a .300 WM before a 30-06. That being said you can't go wrong with a Krieger or Bartlein.

I thread and chamber my own barrels and have used Rock, Shilen, Krieger and Bartlein. I think Rock, Krieger and Bartlein probably have the best rep, but the Shilens work great as well. They fell out of favor a few years ago with the benchrest crowd but have come a long way. I've done a few of their "select" barrels and they were great- I also did a #6 stainless from Brownells (it was fair inexpensive) and it shoots 1/3 MOA all day long.

All things being equal- I would personally buy the one in the caliber and contour you can find- if all four were in stock- I'd probably go Rock.

Last edited:
My gunsmith has always recommended hart and I've had very good luck with them performance wise and life. I have a shilen barreled rifle that shoots great too. Btw...in a long action, I'd go with a 6.5 Swede if you don't reload or a 6.5-06 if you do.

.308 is a SA, not a big fan of 30-06 for target (just better rounds out there) I would do a .300 WM before a 30-06. That being said you can't go wrong with a Krieger or Bartlein.

Yes,I know.308 is normally done in a short action,but I was going to to it in a Long Action just incase I wanted to re barrel it to a long cartrige round in the future at some point. ;)

Rock Creek, Bartlein, Krieger, Broughton 5C, Brux, or Schnieder.

They are all great brands as long as a competent smith plumbs it.

Using a Rock on my .30-06 target rifle wnd so far so good. Brux, Shneider and Lothar Walther deserve a look too...

I put Brux on the last 2 guns I built and am very pleased.And no I am not affiliated with them in any manner.