• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What barrel for Savage action?(.260)

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I'm going to do a .260 1/8(for the Berger 140gr) build off of my Stevens model 200. I'm trying to make this a economical build and would like to keep costs down somewhat. That being said I know the bbl is not something you want to skimp on.

I'm thinking Shilen would be the way to go as it's ready to go. I'm thinking a 26'' heavy sporter or possibly varmint contour. Should I go for the SS match grade for $380?

My friend has used Shilen a bunch and told me the other day that he was unhappy with his last one. He has the wrench and can screw the bbl on for me no problem. Should I consider a different maker? If so, who? I would prefer that the bbl comes ready to put on like the Shilen so I don't have to worry about needing a smith/machinist.

I'm also going to need a trigger, any advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind I'm trying to conserve as much as possible.

Re: What barrel for Savage action?(.260)

Nothing wrong with the shilen.But you might also look at pac-nor.I'm pretty sure that they can make a savage drop in for you.

But as mentioned above check out Sharp shooters supply.They have triggers and barrels in stock.

For real cheap my ER Shaw has given me good accuracy to 1100 yards in 6mm Ackley.

I've looked at SSS and I'm probably going to buy a recoil lug from them but am a little skeptical about their Douglas bbls. Don't know much about them and I really want this thing to shoot.

Another one of my friends had bought one of their triggers in the past and was not happy with it. We'll see, maybe if I get some more opinions I will give a closer look at their stuff.

i have heard great things about sharp shooters supply barrels but i dont own one, dont know anyone who ownes one and the people who have told me they are really good barrels dont own one either so it is hard to say whereas the shillen barrels are really good but you sometimes may get a lemon but you can find people who own them to give you info such as your buddy
with the trigger check around and see if you can get a accu trigger that someone has taken off to replace with a SSS or other you may be able to get one for free

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have heard great things about sharp shooters supply barrels but i dont own one, dont know anyone who ownes one and the people who have told me they are really good barrels dont own one either so it is hard to say whereas the shillen barrels are really good but you sometimes may get a lemon but you can find people who own them to give you info such as your buddy
with the trigger check around and see if you can get a accu trigger that someone has taken off to replace with a SSS or other you may be able to get one for free </div></div>

Good idea, didn't think of that.

start looking up places that do work on savage rifles with custom or aftermarket triggers and ask them if you could just have one.
for example smiths that do a complete overhaul on current remy 700 rifles throw away the x-mark triggers and i dont mean resell them i mean throw them in the bucket with yesterdays taco bell so you should be able to have them just give you one

use this for some referance
http://www.the-long-family.com/_223ai.htm

I have the SSS comp trigger and I am happy with it. After doing some stoneing was able to get it down to 1#. I think the cost was around $100.00. I know some rimfire guys that won't use anything but Douglas barrels FWIW.

Re: What arbarrel for Savage action?(.260)

Ive bought a Pre-fit 28" McGowen .308 barrel from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply about year and half ago. I still have not finished by build because money went toward some black rifles back in Nov. but the guys over on savageshooters swear by them. He has 28" 1 in 8 twist large Shank listed for $319. Thats a little cheap than the Shilen.

Re: What arbarrel for Savage action?(.260)

You might also consider the SS Lothar Walther. I have one on my savage and the only time it shot over .5 MOA was with a 10 shot group. They are pre-chambered and easily installed with a SSS lug and a nut-wrench. Cost is $308 + shipping. Smiths say that the proprietary SS of the LWs is harder than the SS used by Shilen and others, but I can't see that being a down side unnless you are trying to set back and rechamber.

Mine is Lothar-Walther 28" 1:8" LW-50 Stainless, recessed crown, honed bore, Savage threaded and SAAMI chambered in #5171 Savage Varmint Contour. Current list $308.

Great barrel. I bought a pair.

Greg

Thanks a bunch guys ^^^, gonna take a hard look at LW now. $308+ship sounds nice and so does .5 MOA.

Jim from Northland Shooter Supply is great to deal with and has several Shilen and McGowen barrels in stock. Order one and have it in a few days. The ones he does not have on hand he orders for you drop shipped to your location. He also has ground recoil lugs that are top notch.

I have the McGowen 223, in a varmint contour. Put it on a short action that I got from Jim, and went to the range. Several groups at or below .5minute. The worst groups are around one minute, and my fault. http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,14194.0.html

I use the Competetion triggers from Sharp Shooter Supply on my Savages. I set them around one pound. Completely safe, no slam fires, etc. They are fully adjustable for sear engagement, overtravel, weight of pull (within their range).

The accu-trigger is good for an out of the box trigger, but if you want something better I recommend the SSS.