• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What barrel length for rem 700 + suppressor?

xmikex

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2007
Chicagoland, Illinoisistan
OK - I searched and wasn't able to find this question - if it's been answered, please post a link :)

I've got a .308 Rem 700 and I'm typically shooting FGMM 168gr.
I'd like to get my barrel threaded and I'm wondering what the preferred / suggested length would be.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Re: What barrel length for rem 700 + suppressor?

How far are you shooting?? 600yds and less 16-18" would be fine with the 168's , you might loose enough speed for them to get unstable out past that but I could be wrong.

I think that Lowlight did some test at longer ranges with a progressivly shorter barrel

IIRC LL uses his 18" barrel w/suppressor to 1,000 yards. I personally think 20" gives you the best combination of velocity/manuverability(sp?). A 20" barrel with a 8" suppressor will give you a barrel OAL of roughly 27.5" - unless it is an OPSInc.

I believe LL's 18" is a custom "tight bore" tube and I don't believe he is shooting FGMM 168's through it.

20" should be fine and what I will probably go with on my Remington barrel.

As previously stated, if you are not shooting long range with it, you can go down to 16".

on my 700 I run a 20" Hart barrel threaded 5/8-24. Using my SWR Omega can and 175s I can hit 1k without issue.

I had the same question.

Also, would 18"-20" also be suggested with a .243 or something longer?

Thanks everybody!

Looks like 20" it is. My range goes out to 600m but I'd like to be able to shoot reliably out to 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on my 700 I run a 20" Hart barrel threaded 5/8-24. Using my SWR Omega can and 175s I can hit 1k without issue. </div></div>
What twist?

19.55" is thee PERFECT length! heh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmikex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everybody!

Looks like 20" it is. My range goes out to 600m <span style="text-decoration: underline">but I'd like to be able to shoot reliably out to 1000. </span>

</div></div>
Then 20 will be too short. I have a 20 and FGGM/168 goes subsonic just past 900 and tumbles at 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Renegade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmikex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everybody!

Looks like 20" it is. My range goes out to 600m <span style="text-decoration: underline">but I'd like to be able to shoot reliably out to 1000. </span>

</div></div>
Then 20 will be too short. I have a 20 and FGGM/168 goes subsonic just past 900 and tumbles at 1000.</div></div>

Then shoot better bullets.....There are much better options for reaching 1k than 168's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Renegade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmikex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everybody!

</div></div>
Then 20 will be too short. I have a 20 and FGGM/168 goes subsonic just past 900 and tumbles at 1000.</div></div>

Then shoot better bullets.....There are much better options for reaching 1k than 168's. </div></div>

Tell it to the OP, not me. He is the one who specified FGGM/168.

I think 168's fare poorly at 1000 regardless of barrel length compared to some other choices! Btw do you have a suppressor on yours? It can add some velocity.

Guess I'm odd man out, went with a 24" Krieger 1 in 11 twist. Run a AAC 762 SD. POI change is 1" to 6 o'clock at 100 yd. Pushing 155 Scenar @ 2850. Shoot a couple 1000 yd. F-class matches a year and several 600 yd matches. Very happy with the setup. Gets to 1000 easy, don't have to fight pressures issues trying to get enough velocity.

I think 20" is the optimum .308 length. Enough to squeeze out enough velocity for 1k yards if you need it, short enough to handle well even with a suppressor, and much lighter than a 24" or 26" setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think 168's fare poorly at 1000 regardless of barrel length compared to some other choices! Btw do you have a suppressor on yours? It can add some velocity. </div></div>

Yes, SWR.