• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What barrel length next?

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Wanting another ar15 but I can not decide what route to take.
    Ive got a m16a4 build, a 14.5" and a 10.5" currently. Any reason to grab a 16 or 18 over what I've got, or grab another shorty?

Ive got a m16a4 build, a 14.5" and a 10.5" currently. Any reason to grab a 16 or 18 over what I've got, or grab another shorty?
    I don't see any reason to burn money on yet another AR considering the ones you have.

You'd be better off spending that money on ammo and training to close your skill gaps.

12.5" 6 arc, 7-9" 300 blk, silencers, better glass, more ammo, etc.

Reactions: SBRSarge
    Is one, and only one, already picked out as your primary? Your single go-to? Is it 100% complete and dialed in through practice or is it 90% done or untested?

Reactions: BigRed308
    Is one, and only one, already picked out as your primary? Your single go-to? Is it 100% complete and dialed in through practice or is it 90% done or untested?
    The 14.5 is my go to, only thing it’s missing is a light. Not sure what to put on it. Modlite or Streamlight

The 14.5 is my go to, only thing it’s missing is a light. Not sure what to put on it. Modlite or Streamlight
    I’d square that away first and then worry about ammo and supporting gear. Make sure you can use one gun before building multiple guns you can’t use.

Specifically on lights I’d lean towards surefire or modlite. The wire connections on the streamlight fail easily.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jmccracken1214
    What niche does the longer barrel fill? What does it do that your go to 14.5” does not? How many can you shoot simultaneously? Build it if you want it. Build it if you need it. But, don’t give in to building it because you’re bored.

don’t give in to building it because you’re bored.
    The first thing that comes to mind when I'm bored isn't buying or building a new gun.

It's to go shoot and/or dry fire those that I have to achieve measurable skill improvements.

The first thing that comes to mind when I'm bored isn't buying or building a new gun.

It's to go shoot and/or dry fire those that I have to achieve measurable skill improvements.
    Yeah, I get it. But a ‘new shiny’ can ne very alluring. Whether that new shiny be a car, or a rifle, or a partner. And, you can’t post pictures of your bad ass dry fire skills on the hide… 😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Naaman
    I typo’d above. Surefire and Modlite would be my recommendations, Streamlight makes pretty good affordable lights but the wire junction at the light cap fails too easily.

I've got pretty much all the lengths. But just because I like to experiment. Realistically there's so much capability overlap between say an 18" and a 12.5" that you really don't need more than one AR unless you're actually kicking in doors on Monday and super snipering Tuesday.

I’ve really enjoyed my modlite OKW lights. With a LPVO and OKW, you can shoot 200 yards at night pretty easily.

Thought about adding a 3rd can, yhm resonator k, and adding a case feeder to my Dillon…. Good call guys, the itch for a new gun is getting harder to scratch though

I don’t know about the resonator k but my turbo k is loud as hell on a .223 vs my resonator and my Aem5. Maybe get a turbo dedicated to .223.

ive been happy with my 11.5 mid length.

I'm of the mindset of "Build what I can while I can", but I live in California where these weapons are demonized. So I've assembled a small collection of 11.5" to 18" ARs across a range of calibers.
    While the 18" Mk12 and 18" Grendel builds are the ones I grab the most, my recent 14.7" 5.56 build has been impressive. Despite the handier length, it isn't that far off the performance of the longer tubes.

Since you already have the "goldilocks" rifle in your 14.5", I'd run it hard and figure out exactly how you want it kitted out before adding another to the stable. Once you settle in on the 14.5" role, you might find a performance gap where you want another rifle to fill in (like long-range hunting or benchrest shooting). Speaking from experience, an 18" barrel chambered in an intermediate cartridge (like .224 Valkyrie, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 SPC) can be a ton of fun at longer ranges.

Im in the camp of training, buying ammo, and gear(stuff to aid said training). But it’s your money, you want another gun, build/buy it. You don’t have to explain yourself or justify it to us. Only you.

I have a 14.5, 11.5, and a 11 Bren 2. One for me. One for the ole lady and one for whoever else needs it lol.

They all do the same thing and are pretty much set up the same. Lights, red dots. Want to put a Lpvo on the 14.5 just haven’t got around to it.

The 11.5 and the 11 Bren are my favorites.

If I had to build just one I would do a 13.7 build and just shoot it for everything.

You guys are right on the gear, I do need a carrier, been wanting to get one for a while and always put it off because I won’t use it much. But it’s something that it needs to be used, it’ll suck not to have it.

It’s crazy looking at carriers now and comparing to the IOTV I wore in the army.

with the plate carriers from crye, are plates the same front & back? I just order 2 of the same plate and I’m good to go?
    Yep, some plates might not fit or be extremely tight because of their thickness but you buy played that correspond with carrier size. Buy the size you need that will appropriately cover your vitals.

I was about to order a plhv2 tonight and was a little confused on "the complete package" but I dont think that comes with a switch...

So then I need a $60 tail cap and then a $80 switch so that I can turn this thing on without pressing the bottom of the light....

I was about to order a plhv2 tonight and was a little confused on "the complete package" but I dont think that comes with a switch...

So then I need a $60 tail cap and then a $80 switch so that I can turn this thing on without pressing the bottom of the light....
    Correct. The package only comes with the clicky tailcap. You could save yourself $20 and buy the light body, head, tailcap plugin and the switch separately. Otherwise you just buy the light package and switch/plug and you’ll just have a spare clicky cap if your switch fails.

I have not had any issues with my modlite switches but others have had issues and swapped out for warranty. Can never go wrong with a direct clicky cap vs multiple connections and a switch.

Correct. The package only comes with the clicky tailcap. You could save yourself $20 and buy the light body, head, tailcap plugin and the switch separately. Otherwise you just buy the light package and switch/plug and you’ll just have a spare clicky cap if your switch fails.

I have not had any issues with my modlite switches but others have had issues and swapped out for warranty. Can never go wrong with a direct clicky cap vs multiple connections and a switch.
    I just don’t see a way to really mount the light wjth a click button and it be easily/quickly Accessible to turn on and off

I agree with training and other kit first, but if you really need to scratch the gun itch, just buy an LMT mono upper and have D.Wilson MFG convert all your barrels to use in it for different purposes.

I’m all about buying quality, but i can’t bring myself to drop $500 on a rifle light.
    This is the light, tail cap, switch and mount.

May have to keep my cheap ass with Streamlight. Lol
    985DB6EF-6BA7-4546-B0AB-E2A6A9E434CC.png

Reactions: Kadams1563
    I’m all about buying quality, but i can’t bring myself to drop $500 on a rifle light.

View attachment 7932138
    You said you’re prior mil, modlite offers veterans discount. You just sign up through verification process and they give you a one time discount code.

View attachment 7932138
    Same. I have been eyeing a modlite for a awhile now but just can’t justify the price. My stream lights are doing just fine for what I need. Put the switch in a cloud defense mount and all is well so far.