• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What barrel length?

105amatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Asleep in KS
So, I'm sure this has been asked before. I am having a new barrel put on my 700 243 and I am going back with the the 243 again. I shoot the 105 a-max, most of the shooting will be inside 600 yards. What would be the shortest barrel you guys would go with. The barrel will most likely be a Bartlein with a 1-8" twist.

-Matt

Re: What barrel length?

Between 26 and 22 inches, you lose about 30fps per inch. So, if it's a range gun and velocity and accuracy are important, I wouldn't go shorter than 26". If you're going to be hiking through woods with it, a loss of 120fps and some accuracy may be worth the maneuverability to get down to 22".

The gun mainly is used for target shooting, it sees a lot of walking in the fall and winter. I like to see groups under 1/2 moa.

Would a 24" barrel have the potential to shoot well at 600 yards? I would be willing to lose 100fps to gain some maneuverability and I'm thinking about having it threaded for a future can

Just something to think about, but I'm getting 2970 out of my 22" 6XC with the 105Amax.

Well, I dropped my rifle off at GAP this afternoon. I decided to go with a #7 contour with a 25 inch length. It's great going by that place, its like freakin christmas in there man. So in 4-6 months I should see my rifle again, can't wait. Thank you folks for the help and advice.

-Matt

Your decision is already made, but a rifle doesn't lose accuracy because it gets a shorter barrel. Some velocity (assuming the powder is still burning - and it is on the 243), but shorter, stiffer barrels aren't less accurate.

A poster above said "lose accuracy" for maneuverability...

i went with 24 on my savage .243, so far i've made steel ring at just past 750 without any issues. 100 gr sierra BTSP(that's what i hunt with also) pushed by 45.0 gr of H-414

just food for thought, i know you already handed it over and its not a 308 but check this video out... shorter doesn't mean less accurate. velocity won't be an issue for 600, because you won't be going subsonic anywhere near that range. PLUS the guys you left that rifle with, its gonna be a tack driver no matter how long/short the barrel is, they do good work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qj032UJ1I

Well, I think I am going to email Kin and have them change the barrel length to 24 inches. Why not, what the hell.

-Matt

24-26" would be my choice for what you want to do. I would think about an 8.5 twist also. The 8 isn't needed for the 105 but will work at your speeds. I will be screwing a 27" 8.5 twist Bartlein on my .243 soon to shoot the 105 AMAX and BTHP.

The barrel that we picked out is a Bartlein #7 contour, 7.7 twist with 5R rifling. I think the 105s should be fine with the quicker twist, if not, i will go heavier. Heavy bullets good. I am having the guys thread the barrel and put on a flush thread cap, I really want a can one of these days. Is the #7 contour comparable to or the same thing as the MTU?

-Matt

Rob01,

Are you getting away from using DTACs? Or is this just a back up rifle?

I thought 7.5/7.7 twist with DTAC was ideal for comps.

-Steve

Going to the 105 BTHPs. Going to rebarrel my 7.5 twist with an 8.5. The .530 BC on the 105 BTHP and the velocity put it in a good place ballistically. Not up with the 115s but not too far behind.