• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing what barrel making process is the best/ what shoul

cobaltbomb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2009
austria europe
since my howa wont shoot tight groups with the factory barrel in 308, i will have it rebarreled in 6,5x47 lapua. this cartridge is a good combo of readily available components (mind you im from europe), and a good barrel life(4k), good ballistiks out to 1k, mild recoil, and good inherent accuracy.
ill use it for 100-300 yard shooting mostly and occasionally out to 1200 yards shilouette shooting

i am now deciding if i go for a stainless steel barrel with cut rifling wich is custom made, handlapped and custom fit by famous good gunsmith in my country, who does a lot of benchrest guns.
costs alltogether 850 €

or i send it to another gunsmith, also quite famous for his good work, wich would install, and fit in a cold hammer forged chrome moly steel, hand lapped barrel, with tight tolerances from the steyr factory (i believe).
this barrel would be 600 € including all the work.

my question is. will a cut stainless barrel deliver so much more accuracy that its worth the 250 € difference, and will it outlast a hammer froged barrel ?

Re: what barrel making process is the best/ what shoul

The stainless probably won't outlast the hammer forged barrel, however, the cut rifled stainless is going to be better barrel from an accuracy standpoint. You're still going to get the 3500-4000 round life with very good accuracy from it.

Here's an article that is written about the various methods. They cover hammer forging in it. The long and short of it is that hammer forged barrels are exceptionally tough and stand up to full auto fire well. They're going to have a fair bit of residual stresses in them from the forming process. Steyr is one of the few companies in the world that makes them well.

Either barrel will shoot well, but what you trade in barrel life for the cut rifled SS you will gain in barrel precision. The opposite is true for the hammer forged barrel.

My personal choice for a precision rifle would be cut rifled SS.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1853796#Post1853796

bixn andi makes them for a few months or so now.
he was fed up having to wait for ordered barrels so long.
schowed me some impressive groups he got from his 1st batch of barrles, 6mm BR that was.

http://www.bixn-andy.at/sportwaffen.php

typically his BR guns look like this:
Sportwaffen-1.jpg

is he cut rifling or button rifling? I used to make their barrels when I was overseas, so was wondering if he was just outside machining rifled blanks and chambering or doing the whole barrel from raw stock.

he is cutting them from raw stock now. i take it he has only started recently, and from what he told me he had to make the cutting tools he uses himself.
JR have you been with border barrels?