• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk What barrel profile are you using ?

On the two I just built
M24 in 65 Creedmoor finished at 23"
Medium Palma in 6.5x47 finished at 24" considering knocking 3-4" off.

.308 = 24" M24
6.5 CM = 24" medium palma

I'll probably stick with the M24 going forward for the 6.5CM

Reactions: POGPride
I know a lot of guys like to run as light as possible : what profile / length are you running ?

Not sure what gave you the impression that people like to run as light as possible for PRS use - it's usually the opposite.

Anyway, I stick with GAP #6 in Bartlein and Marksman in Hawk Hills. Everything I run on bolt guns is 26" finished length.

Heavy varmint 26". I do have one that is 28"

I have MTUs finished at 26 inches on both my rifles. Next one is an M24 Bartlein only because I picked it up in trade.

I like a heavier barrel and a heavy rifle over all.

Reactions: linsmea
27" Med Palma on my 6.5 Creedmoor
28" Med Palma on my 6mm Creedmoor
24" Med Palma on my .308

I played the super heavy MTU game and didn't see it helping any. Easier to move through a stage with a lighter rifle and it's plenty stable. I still have a couple barrels in M24/40 contour but as they are shot out they are getting replaced with Med Palmas.

Reactions: Huskydriver
20" savage varmint in 308
22" remington mtn contour in 270
24" savage varmint in 308
26" Medium Palma in 6cm
26" M24 in 6Dasher

I think once the 6cm burns out I'll switch to something like an M24

Last edited:
27" Med Palma on my 6.5 Creedmoor
28" Med Palma on my 6mm Creedmoor
24" Med Palma on my .308

I played the super heavy MTU game and didn't see it helping any. Easier to move through a stage with a lighter rifle and it's plenty stable. I still have a couple barrels in M24/40 contour but as they are shot out they are getting replaced with Med Palmas.

Depends on the rifle and the balance. I went the opposite way as you - from light profile to heavy. I had a Hawkhill marksman profile, which is similar to your medium Palma, in both McM A5 stock and a JAE chassis. A heavier barrel contour balances much better with those stocks and chassis then the marksman profile. Hence why I am using MTU and Heavy Varmint profiles. They pretty much balance themselves.

On a lighter stock or chassis, a lighter profile works better. For instance, I just built my wife a 6BRA rifle on a KRG Bravo chassis. I used a 24" heavy palma barrel, and unfortunately it's a bit front heavy. A lighter contour, such as a medium Palma, would've suited that rifle barrel.

It really all depends on the build of your rifle, if you want it to have a nice balance.

Reactions: BCX
I am running Manners stocks mostly with mini chassis and the balance is fine with the barrels above.

Benchmark 27 in #5 contour which is a heavy sporter. 2.5 months so far into the waiting period. I think I have another month before it should be done.

Heavy Palma 26”

In my AT, you can sit it anywhere near the magwell and walk away.

Was the same way when I was running customs in a jae.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Sendero 24" 6.5 Creedmoor
Med. Palma 27" 6BR
I'll probably go with M24 for future builds.

im going back to heavier barrels...started and shot heavy varmints for several years then went to light varmints then to heavy palmas...which i shot for several years)then tried a rem varmint and didnt like it so im back to light varmints and may go back to heavy varmints after this year.
6BR
6BRX

Reactions: kindabitey
Currently shooting a 308 w/ 24” barrel (MRock) in M40 contour. I’m planning to make the jump to 6.5 CM this summer using a Proof Research barrel. It’ll be a 24” M40 contour as well.

M24 26” shilen 6.5 CM
Magnum contour 24” carbon 6 6mm CM
Magnum contour 24” Mcgree PC 243 win
M24 26” Hart 300 win mag

If you want fat and light go with Carbon 6 or proof
Carbon 6 is a sister company of Mcgowen and uses Mcgowen blanks they shoot lights out and if they don’t there is a no questions asked warranty. My 6mm CM for some reason wouldn’t close down groups, sent complete rifle to them and they couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t shoot ether, but regardless cut me a bran new barrel and sent it back within 2 weeks. Very impressed with Gene and the guys at carbon 6 we have lots of carbon 6 barrels around here that shoot lights out!

I’ve heard great things about Proof as well but I’ve never used one.

700p factory in .308 26 inch
Tikka TacA1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, factory
Bartlein 26 inch Heavy Palma in 7mm Rem Mag

Here's some answers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190216-114208_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190216-114208_Chrome.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 3,824
Reactions: linsmea
24" savage varmint, 223 1:8, 308 1:10.

28" savage varmint 260 1:8

24" bull 223 1:8 (x2 - AR).

16" 1:7 lightweight 223 AR

16" bull 223 1:9 AR (X2)

Greg

26" med Palma 6br
22" MTU 6.5CM

rpr 308 stock 20'' 1/10 twist
cmmg 224 stock 24'' 1/7 twist
ar s&w stock 18'' 1/7 twist
and now a Bartlein 26 mtu in 6.5 pretty sure its 1/7 twist

Last edited:
Hawk Hill marksman contour 6 Dasher. 24" plus 9" Thunderbeast can. Some times I wish it weighed half as much. Sometimes I wish it weighed twice as much. I am happy with it and rifle balances quite well in Manners stock (elite shell,std. fill, mini chassis).

Reactions: shoot 51
Thx gentlemen . Have always run a reasonably heavy taper (MTU ish ) in the past , going with medium
Palma this time for local PRS . Not running a brake , spent enough time on unbraked 308s on the job
to be unconcerned about 6 x47 recoil .

PRS guns:
25" MTU in 223
24" Med Palma in 6.5cm

Hunting Guns:
24" Light Sendero CF in 6.5prc
22" #4 in 6.5cm

I'm using Rock Creek sendero/accurate ordnance varmint. Will go m24 next time

I'm using Rock Creek sendero/accurate ordnance varmint. Will go m24 next time
My current barrel is a Rock Creek sendero , but it's significantly thicker than my previous 3 sendero profiles (all 3 from different manufacturers). I'm wondering if I was sent something else by mistake?
How about yours?

My current barrel is a Rock Creek sendero , but it's significantly thicker than my previous 3 sendero profiles (all 3 from different manufacturers). I'm wondering if I was sent something else by mistake?
How about yours?
Your previous 3 were probably Remington sendero contour. Rock creek sendero is larger.

Reactions: silhouette
26’ M24 6BR
28’ M24 6BRA
26’ Heavy varmint 6.5 creed
All Bartliens