• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What barrel profiles do you use?

1791PrecisionArmory

FFL-07
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2011
Idaho
Hello,

I am going to be placing a new bulk order for some barrel blanks from mullerworks.

I really have had great consistent results from his barrels over the years and I am judging interest in what people want in what profiles and what calibers people want more availability of. Obviously 6 and 6.5 are the majority in our world but is there interest in seeing more 22 and 30 or 338 available.

Main actions I will be building my house barreled actions on are going to be ARC Coup De Grace, Kelbly Prometheus and Terminus. I have a good relationship with Ted, Jim and Joel and they make great consistent stuff.

Going to launch my website geared towards what we all love to do and any advise on what you want to see people carry more of would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time.

If you plan to run a business and represent it here on the Hide then you will need to upgrade your account to a Commercial account.

Reactions: MxTexas
M24 & MTU for me

Add Heavy Palma plus something close to either a Med Palma or Rem Varmint, & you could probably satisfy 80% Hide members w/ only those 4 profiles
It's always been M24 for me. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I appreciate it.

Pretty big drift in the PRS community towards heavier contours, in the Heavy Varmint / MTU category. People seem to run those anywhere from 24-28", with 26"+ being popular. The longer and heavier barrels provide "free" MV and balance where you want it most, way out in front; a heavier long barrel takes a lot less extra overall weight to move the balance point than trying to do it by bolting weights onto the chassis half a foot or more aft of the muzzle.

Just about everyone in my local NRL22 community who is rebarreling is going to straight tapers in the 22-24" range, for the same reasons (mostly balance, MV relationship is different in rimfire).

I just bought an MTU that will be finished at 26", up from my 24" M24 contour, and I'd have happily gone further into the HV or Proof Comp contours if they'd been available in the configuration I wanted.

ETA: 224-cal 7.5 twist for my 22BR, it wasn't easy to find. I can't promise you'll move a ton of them, but there's a market.

Pretty big drift in the PRS community towards heavier contours, in the Heavy Varmint / MTU category. People seem to run those anywhere from 24-28", with 26"+ being popular. The longer and heavier barrels provide "free" MV and balance where you want it most, way out in front; a heavier long barrel takes a lot less extra overall weight to move the balance point than trying to do it by bolting weights onto the chassis half a foot or more aft of the muzzle.

Just about everyone in my local NRL22 community who is rebarreling is going to straight tapers in the 22-24" range, for the same reasons (mostly balance, MV relationship is different in rimfire).

I just bought an MTU that will be finished at 26", up from my 24" M24 contour, and I'd have happily gone further into the HV or Proof Comp contours if they'd been available in the configuration I wanted.

ETA: 224-cal 7.5 twist for my 22BR, it wasn't easy to find. I can't promise you'll move a ton of them, but there's a market.
I did the comp contours on a few but they were just too big and heavy for me. I think I’ll order heavy on the MTU’s. I have a number of coup de grace actions coming in for barreled actions and am thinking mtu’s and m24’s heavy on 6’s but I want to have a number of 6.5’s and 22’s too.

I appreciate your input, thank you very much.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
I did the comp contours on a few but they were just too big and heavy for me. I think I’ll order heavy on the MTU’s. I have a number of coup de grace actions coming in for barreled actions and am thinking mtu’s and m24’s heavy on 6’s but I want to have a number of 6.5’s and 22’s too.

I appreciate your input, thank you very much.
Based on zero Bartlein MTUs in stock in all the places I look, they either didn't get made or got cleared out quick; the M24s are still up on Altus from like a month ago.

MTU is my fav. It's a heavy thick profile but not so heavy as a comp which was overkill for me. M24 and heavy varmint are second choices. I've also used heavy and palma and the AI contour and they've all worked just fine as well.

Hello,

I am going to be placing a new bulk order for some barrel blanks from mullerworks.

I really have had great consistent results from his barrels over the years and I am judging interest in what people want in what profiles and what calibers people want more availability of. Obviously 6 and 6.5 are the majority in our world but is there interest in seeing more 22 and 30 or 338 available.

Main actions I will be building my house barreled actions on are going to be ARC Coup De Grace, Kelbly Prometheus and Terminus. I have a good relationship with Ted, Jim and Joel and they make great consistent stuff.

Going to launch my website geared towards what we all love to do and any advise on what you want to see people carry more of would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time.

If you plan to run a business and represent it here on the Hide then you will need to upgrade your account to a Commercial account.
I would be interested in seeing 333LM 26" and up straight tapper.