• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What barrel/twist for 243AI

txgunnertx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
weatherford tx
Going to build a new 243AI on a remmy. I am kinda new to this and looking for suggestions on brand of barrel. I have a krieger and have had good results with it. Would I go wrong with another one. Also going to try to shoot 115 VLD or dtacs so which twist 7 or 7.5

Re: What barrel/twist for 243AI

With ackley I wouldn't go any faster than 7.5 my new benchmark barrel is a 243ai 7.7 twist and it has zero issues stabilizing dtacs and shoots lights out.

I have a 7.5 Twist Broughton 5C barrel that shoots the 115 Dtacs and VLD's very well.

I had a 7 twist on it before the Broughton and I didnt like it. Its now a fireform barrel.

7.5 is as fast as you need. No faster. As mentioned even 7.7 would work. I ran a straight .243 with 115s and a 7.5 barrel without problems and I shot them at only about 2990fps. You will easily be able to push them faster with the AI as others with straight .243s push the 115s near 3100fps.