• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What barrels are the go-tos?

Northtogladwin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
I'm getting a barrel chambered in 300nm but I'm also getting one chambered in 338 lm for now too. Those are the calibers I'm sticking with for now. But there are so many companies and I only have experience with savage factory and bartlein. I was thinking a carbon wrapped for one but who knows. What are you shooting, what should you stay away from, I'm thinking 28 to 30 inch for both. Are they all pretty much the same?

So if you're going to do a carbon wrapped Barrel. Helix 6 is the Rolex of carbon fiber barrels. Now if you're going to do just a steel barrel I prefer KS barrels out of Canada average turnaround from KS barrels is 3 weeks

If you want pure precision (ELR), I'd steer away from carbon. They're not guaranteed to shoot worse, but on the average they're not as tight as solid steel barrels in my experience. It's nothing massive, don't take it the wrong way-- I still have several Proof Carbon wrapped barrels and will buy more. I've personally spun up about 10 Proof Carbon barrels and 2 or 3 Bartleins. The Bartleins are carbon wrapped... but certainly not as light as Proof. I think there's a role for them (hunting rifles, mostly), and from what I've seen Proof is top of the heap so far, but the steel barrels typically are more tame on the precision side.

That all said, for a stainless match barrel pick your poison... Bartlein, Krieger, Proof Research, HS Precision, Rock Creek, Schneider, LW, Hart, Benchmark, Hawk Hill, Brux...

If you want pure precision (ELR), I'd steer away from carbon. They're not guaranteed to shoot worse, but on the average they're not as tight as solid steel barrels in my experience. It's nothing massive, don't take it the wrong way-- I still have several Proof Carbon wrapped barrels and will buy more. I've personally spun up about 10 Proof Carbon barrels and 2 or 3 Bartleins. The Bartleins are carbon wrapped... but certainly not as light as Proof. I think there's a role for them (hunting rifles, mostly), and from what I've seen Proof is top of the heap so far, but the steel barrels typically are more tame on the precision side.

That all said, for a stainless match barrel pick your poison... Bartlein, Krieger, Proof Research, HS Precision, Rock Creek, Schneider, LW, Hart, Benchmark, Hawk Hill, Brux...
I think the helix 6 barrels shoot as good as any steel barrel.
They are new in the elr market but they are already selling 416 Barrett barrels as fast as they can make them.

Definitely KS Arms out of Edmonton AB, I have had dozens of other barrels and my KS outshoots all of them. My next one is 7 PRC, 30 inch Varmint with 1 in 7.5 for the Bergers. Set up on my KS Wolverine, or a 700 Rem I have a spare of.I was thinking of going with their 3 Lug too, unfortunately my budget doesn't allow for it this year. The only other barrel I truly miss is my old 270 AI, Shillen.

Reactions: Matt_3479
Definitely KS Arms out of Edmonton AB, I have had dozens of other barrels and my KS outshoots all of them. My next one is 7 PRC, 30 inch Varmint with 1 in 7.5 for the Bergers. Set up on my KS Wolverine, or a 700 Rem I have a spare of.I was thinking of going with their 3 Lug too, unfortunately my budget doesn't allow for it this year. The only other barrel I truly miss is my old 270 AI, Shillen.

You won’t regret their 3 lug!! The action is fucking awesome!! Lighter bolt lift than my terminus and super smooth. Prefit compatible, rock solid! I used one for my coyote build but thinking of getting a other

Huh, guess I'll try KS when I do my 300 PRC. Looks like they offer a longer blank at no extra charge. The really roped me in being out of Edmonton. Nice.

Reactions: Matt_3479
Also worth considering: Lilja, PAC-Nor, Shilen, Hart, Douglas, K&P, green mountain, Broughton…

I’m a Lilja guy at heart but with Bartlein new alloy, that will be my go to from now on so long as wait time is not an issue

so far both of mine have been bartlein barrels 26'' I wanna 28' next time. And Id love to have it non tapered but for me any of the major brands like krieger , proof , Criterion, Rock Creek , or what ever else there is would do the same job .