• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What BMG for LR ?

89t295k

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Idaho
What BMG would you recomend for me.

Top priorities are accuracy for LR and price/resale value.

I figure a used/longer tube and bolt action like the M99 Barrett or maybe a BA50?

A 338LM has been on my mind but, for the same $ , Maybe I can get a nice BMG and it will hold it's value?

Re: What BMG for LR ?

Check out McMillan the price is high but its 1 hell of a gun.
The 50bmg is not a super accurate cartridge but it can get the job done. The 338LM is a far more accurate cartridge.

Here you go.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1687726#Post1687726

All kidding aside, that gun is quite accurate. But as mentioned above, the 50 BMG is not inherently accurate at extreme long range, compared to something like 338LM, or 375 CT. Of course, it also depends on the size of your target as well. If you reload your 50 BMG and use the right projos you can push it out there, but a lot of case prep works will be needed to make the cartridge more accurate.

I do reload.

Well, maybe I should still be looking at the 338.

I should probably be asking what reaches out the most and with the least wind drift. I assumed it would be a bmg...?
I'll be paper punching for groups.

At what range are you thinking of slaying paper?

your bmg with amaxs will run out of steam at around 1900 yards. If your going to go further start looking elsewhere, there are better options which are cheaper. The price of factory BMG's these days, IMO our better off going a full custom build.

I like the Armalite AR-50. It has the least recoil of any .50 I have fired. Robar builds a nice bolt-action rifle in that caliber too.

As far as I can. I have set no limits.
I imagine the calculations and weather reading get pretty advanced past 1k but, I am having fun learning.
What are the better options?
What gun/bullet stays supersonic the longest?

After looking at the twist rates of the bmg's (15 or so) I can see where it might be lacking. Gotta love the power tho.

If your range is limitless, I would suggest the 375 CT. It's not a cheap system to shoot, but I can shoot a long long way. Or you can build both, a 338 LM and a 375CT.

My 338LM can only stretch to about 1900 yards. My 50 BMG is not as accurate, so the only logical conclusion is to build a 375 CT. Now, I just need to find some extra money for it.LOL

if your looking for accuracy stop looking at the barret lineup
there good for 1 mos (minute of scud)
there many more accurate rifles in this caliber at better prices

The late Skip Talbot used to shoot his 50 at 2 miles (3500 yards)into a 13 foot target. He was shooting the Barnes 800 grainers. So the 50 will get it done with the right set up.

Yes jimmy, a few shooters could and would hit that rock LOL. There are some 900 to 1200 grain bullets out there but you really need a different case than a bmg. There were a couple guys that screwed around with a bmg improved fully blown out with a very short neck and shooting 1000gn bullets years ago. The problem was recoil was severe and that was the end of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kd185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if your looking for accuracy stop looking at the barret lineup
there good for 1 mos (minute of scud)
there many more accurate rifles in this caliber at better prices </div></div>

It depends on what model you are talking about. Of course, the semi version is not going to get you anywhere near MOA. However, the bolt gun, particularly the M99 series are very capable of sub MOA. My gun loaded with handload AMAX showed a 0.444" group. The late Skip Talbot at one time set the 1000 yard record with an M99 Barrett gun. Also, price wise, if you are comparing the semi version of Barrett to somthing else than of course it's more expensive. I have a Barrett M99 and a Windrunner M96. I can assure you that the Barrett M99 was cheaper.

Also, can you tell me some <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">rifles</span></span> that are cheaper and more accurate than the Barrett M99?

Agree Jimmy. I just want to point out that single shot bolt action Barrett can be quite accurate. Most people think of the M82 series when they hear Barrett. And of course, that is no where near 1 MOA.

Having shot the 50 for 15 years. Three words: Buy a 338LM. You are going to have to work at your reloading to get the accuracy that you can get out of a 338LM or some of the other ELR rounds.

If I had the space to go beyond 1500 regularly-I'd leave my 50's in the safe and build a 375/408.

Skip, was a pioneer. There was a time he used STEEL bullets. He routinely shot borerider projectiles in a barrel throated for them.His experimentation with barrels and projectiles makes him the man when it came to 50BMG accuracy. His death is our loss because he was one of the few in the FCSA commuity that would REALLY help a new guy.

It doesn't matter which action you use. Its the barrel and the projectiles as well as your loading skill. Accuracy with a military or hybrid chamber shooting AMAXES is going to be very frustrating if you want to go ELR.

Many ranges have prohibited 50's use. Quality reloading components MUST be hoarded them culled to get the best brass.And forget about military surplus projectiles that have been pulled and resized. Fun for plinking-not for ELR. 1 moa is tough to get.

DesertHK makes a valid point. M82's are anti-material rifles-fun as hell to shoot,but don't even consider trying to get the accuracy 375/408 shooter are getting. A single shot Barrett action-or any action is going to be improved by a high quality tube. I can say that my State Arms 50 is more accurate and cheaper than my Barrett 99. Some don't like the shellholder actions-but that is how it started.

One thing is for sure. Even if you LIKE to shoot hard recoiling rifles-if you want to reach out you have to shoot high pressure loads with heavy monolithic projectiles. With a 36inch barrel-even with the best brake-you will find recoil and blast to be a matter of fatigue after shooting 20-30 rounds.

Buy what you want. "holding its value" is not a good reason to buy ANY rifle-so the "investment" excuse is not realistic. 50BMG is not as accurate as the 338LM or 375/408.

Look on the sale forums on this site. 50's don't sell like 375/408's do.

Wow, really good info. Thanks for helping a newbe.

What are boreriders?

I will have to learn more about the 375/408.

So far the ones I like are
700P 338LM
TRG-338LM
Barrett M99

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What are boreriders?

</div></div>

Boreriders are bullets that have a reduced diameter for most of the bearing surface. Think mini artillery rounds, they have a driving band which engages the rifling but most of the bullet is "riding the bore".

Also just wanted to mention Barrets own .416 round for ELR.

Your other option is to build a rifle, It will be a little more expensive than a production gun but WAY more accurate. You also have way more options available to you.

89, theys tellin you right. I just shot a 338/408 at a mile today, you could not run fast enough to give me another 50 after shooting the 338 and 375 Chey- tac rds. Even an Edge or Lapua would be preferable in my opinion. The Chey-tacs can be built as light as 12 lbs or so and they will smoke a 35 lb. 50 all day long. I have the 375 and 338 chey and I am really liking the 338. The 300 SMK is cheap and available and you can run it around 3200-3400. Accuracy is consistantly sub-half----- AWESOME!!!!

The .50BMG is very inaccurate. At 1,000 you would be better off with a .22 or some other more accurate round. I am surprised anyone could hit a barn door from inside the barn with the .50

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...032#Post1229032

P1020249.jpg

rasmussen04op.jpg

rasmussen05.jpg

I've been eyeballing a TRG-42 338L here but, by the time I add a bipod and a break on it may be divorce territory.

That is why the BMG sounded good as it has a bipod and break already.

Maybe a 700P 338 if I can find one?
The 338 Chey sounds awsome too, bet it is out of my range though. How much for something like that, if you don't mind me asking?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been eyeballing a TRG-42 338L here but, by the time I add a bipod and a break on it may be divorce territory.

The 338 Chey sounds awsome too, bet it is out of my range though. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">How much for something like that, if you don't mind me asking</span></span>? </div></div>

It is no more than the cost of the TRG or a good custom stick. The problem is the reloading components and cost per shot. Just in case you are interested, my Barrett is still available. LOL.

Almost all factory twist rates on 50 bmgs are 1-15".Chooseing a LR rifle caliber is tough.If you have to ask for a price,then your in the wrong game.The price of the rifle is just the first of many expensive equipment purchases in the quest for long range accuracy.I love my 50's.You can shoot AP,API,APIT,Inced,Tracer(be safe and remember that only you can prevent forrest fires),amax,barnes,brass monolithics up to 1,000 grn's that'll go through about anything(and destroy it)at 1,000+ yds and back it up with alot(13,000 ft pds at the muzzle) of energy.At 2,400+ yards,A canadian sniper shot and killed some bastard through a cement wall with a stock Tac-50 50bmg rifle.Practice makes perfect with any caliber choice,so just getting a super hopped up rifle won't make up for the fact that you can't shoot worth a s#@t.Compared to other rifle calibers,the 50's alot cheaper to reload for and components are readily available.Even loaded match ammo is just as cheap as the cheytacs/Lapua cartridges.
The 50bmg cartridge has been around for over 100yrs and It just improves with age.My Tac-50 isn't the most portable rifle at 27 pounds,but I don't ever question if I have enough rifle for the job at hand.Plus it's just a fun gun to shoot.With the Barrett BORS+Leupold Mk4LR combo,paper,cars and anything that breathe's isn't safe at almost any range.It's so bad they banned it in Kali.Or,you can buy a 338 lapua.
STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Almost all factory twist rates on 50 bmgs are 1-15".Chooseing a LR rifle caliber is tough.If you have to ask for a price,then your in the wrong game.The price of the rifle is just the first of many expensive equipment purchases in the quest for long range accuracy.I love my 50's.You can shoot AP,API,APIT,Inced,Tracer(be safe and remember that only you can prevent forrest fires),amax,barnes,brass monolithics up to 1,000 grn's that'll go through about anything(and destroy it)at 1,000+ yds and back it up with alot(13,000 ft pds at the muzzle) of energy.At 2,400+ yards,A canadian sniper shot and killed some bastard through a cement wall with a stock Tac-50 50bmg rifle.Practice makes perfect with any caliber choice,so just getting a super hopped up rifle won't make up for the fact that you can't shoot worth a s#@t.Compared to other rifle calibers,the 50's alot cheaper to reload for and components are readily available.Even loaded match ammo is just as cheap as the cheytacs/Lapua cartridges.
The 50bmg cartridge has been around for over 100yrs and It just improves with age.<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">My Tac-50 isn't the most portable rifle at 27 pounds</span></span>,but I don't ever question if I have enough rifle for the job at hand.Plus it's just a fun gun to shoot.With the Barrett BORS+Leupold Mk4LR combo,paper,cars and anything that breathe's isn't safe at almost any range.It's so bad they banned it in Kali.Or,you can buy a 338 lapua.
STEVE </div></div>

My Windrunner M96 weighs around 35 lbs. Now lugging that along with about 50 rounds and rucks sack going up a 300 feet vertical climb. It gives new meaning to cardio workout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been eyeballing a TRG-42 338L here but, by the time I add a bipod and a break on it may be divorce territory.

The 338 Chey sounds awsome too, bet it is out of my range though. How much for something like that, if you don't mind me asking? </div></div>

Dude, you have no idea what you want. I can however tell you by the way you are looking for answers- you can't afford it. You haven't even began to price what a decent scope is going to cost. Comparing a Remington 700P in 338LM to ANY 50 or anything based on the 408 Cheytac is simply stupid. TO get seriously into any ELR system plan on $5000 MINIMUM-and IMO, that isn't enough.

Lt. Arclight- is right you need to have an extra 1000 just for bullets to start off.
Let alone: Gun, optics, reloading equipment,spotting scopes, ballistic computer and programs,targets, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> $5000 MINIMUM-and IMO, that isn't enough. </div></div>

For the rifle alone $4000 will cover it. $2 to 3000 for a scope. Another $1000 for press, dies Etc. Min of $1000 for brass,bullets,powder and primers.This will get you going "bang".

Now if you want to start shooting matches in heavy or light class, double the rifle price. Scope will still work, Add another $1000 to dies etc. And triple the cost of supply's.

Don't know what I want exactly is correct, looking for a Corvette not a Bentley is all I am sure of. Spending more than 3-4k on a tube is outside my comfort level when I factor in $1500 for a Nightforce, then a bipod and the such. I only reload a few very precise rounds at a time and maybe shoot 15-20 at a time, so reloading is not a buget concern.
If I get more serious about it then I have something to trade up to. For now I'm going to keep it a factory rifle and hand loads.

I may be PMing you, just don't want to bother you until I've made a choice.
DesertHk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know what I want exactly is correct, looking for a Corvette not a Bentley is all I am sure of. Spending more than 3-4k on a tube is outside my comfort level when I factor in $1500 for a Nightforce, then a bipod and the such. I only reload a few very precise rounds at a time and maybe shoot 15-20 at a time, so reloading is not a buget concern.
If I get more serious about it then I have something to trade up to. For now I'm going to keep it a factory rifle and hand loads.

I may be PMing you, just don't want to bother you until I've made a choice.
DesertHk

</div></div>
As others have said you may want to try something smaller.

Dang I got over $1,000 in just my Hollywood press! Not to mention Hollywood dies, CH4D dies and collet pullers, Trimmers, pocket former, cutter, flash hole tools, and assorted crap. I would say I've got $2,500 into reloading alone and that does not include a single bullet, brass, primer, or powder.

You have fun with that Corvette......

Why smaller?

How much better does your Tac-50 shoot over the M99?

According to JBM, the wind drift of a a-Max 750 is almost half of a 338 300SMK, am I off base here thinking that would be easer to shoot the BMG?

The new Berger 338's have me thinking but, they are not out yet.

I have a Windrunner M96.
What is your idea of easier?
Check the boxes as easy or hard

Reloading the .50bmg
Reloading the .338
Recoil of .50bmg (depending on weight and brake)
effects of an "effective" brake on brain matter and nasal congestion
picking up said rifle and getting to shooting position varies between a light .338 of 16 or so lbs and a heavy non BR .50 being in the 40 to 50 lbs.
cost per shot high end of maybe $2.50 per round for .338 or having a tough time finding a decent projo for a .50 for $2.50 each.
brass prep has to be a labor of love for the .50
if you get pissed off after loading 100 or so .308's or .338's you will be committed to the funny farm after 25 .50's

Now that is some good honest info I was looking 4.

-Don't need to run around with it, I have a hunting rifle for that.
-I enjoy reloading, the .1 grain scale was not good enough for me so I use a .01 grain scale.
-I take pride and enjoy in all of the sorting and measuring steps.

I get an average of 5 shot .3s from my reloads for my light hunting rifle. I don't want a bench gun, just want to go past 1100Y and a 140VDL will not do that very well. Maybe the 20mm Class 3 on GB(haha)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why smaller?

How much better does your Tac-50 shoot over the M99?

According to JBM, the wind drift of a a-Max 750 is almost half of a 338 300SMK, am I off base here thinking that would be easer to shoot the BMG?

The new Berger 338's have me thinking but, they are not out yet.

</div></div>

I've owned a Tac50 and a Barrett 99-with as purchased hybrid or ordnance chambers a good 338LM will piss all over the 50 at 1000yards. So will a 6.5x284 You have no idea what you are talking about. So you think everytime you take a fifty out you are going to shoot 40-50 rounds.
sleep.gif

Dude at this point you are trolling. You haven't a clue. Take JBM results and keep studying them-then come out on the range. Don't talk through your ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 2,400+ yards,A canadian sniper shot and killed some bastard through a cement wall with a stock Tac-50 50bmg rifle.</div></div>

No wall with that story and it was 2,430 meters, 2,657 yards.

89t295k
Lt. Archlight is absolutely right on this my friend. I am sure as hell that I want to sell you my M99. But in good conscience, I am not going to say that the M99 is an accurate gun if you compare that to a my 338LM or even 300 WM. I have taken my 300 WM out to 1550 yards and my338LM out to 1900 yards and we were shooting 1.5 MOA targets. I wouldn't dream of doing that with my 50 BMG, whether the M99, or the Windrunner. I would be wasting my ammo.

If you compare among 50 BMG rifles, yes it is relatively accurate and has room to accurize it further from stock option. However, the 388LM WILL SMOKE it on any given day. If you are going to shoot just 1000 yards, I would consider other options. Now, if you want to have a 50 BMG, then no problem. The noise factor is ranked #1.

The cost for shooting long range, or extreme long range as defined by Later, (anything over 2K) is very expensive. The other question that I have for you is how comfortable are you shooting over 1K? Remember, LR shooting is a very expensive science experiment. You certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel my friend. JMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you compare among 50 BMG rifles, yes it is relatively accurate and has room to accurize it further from stock option. However, the 388LM WILL SMOKE it on any given day. </div></div>

I'll take you up on that on Desert. My 50 VS your 338. As long as its off a bench, and not more than 4' away from where I can park the car. I'm not humping 50lbs of rifle, front and rear rests and ammo further than that! Shall we say 2500yds 5 shot groups?

I was just doing a little math.. I machine my own 50 slugs from bronze at my dads shop. If I was paying for machine time the projo's would be $22 each...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you compare among 50 BMG rifles, yes it is relatively accurate and has room to accurize it further from stock option. However, the 388LM WILL SMOKE it on any given day. </div></div>

I'll take you up on that on Desert. My 50 VS your 338. As long as its off a bench, and not more than 4' away from where I can park the car. I'm not humping 50lbs of rifle, front and rear rests and ammo further than that! Shall we say 2500yds 5 shot groups? </div></div>

Understand what you are trying to say. I am respectfully decline that challenge. Of course, your BR gun is going to be more accurate than my military grade rifle. I shoot off bipod in prone position on uneven grounds. I was making a point of regular non-BR rifles comparision. Besides, the projos that they have available in 338LM has horrible BC compared to your own lathed turn projos. That wouldn't be a fair contest now would it?

I know you were making a mil spec rifle comparison, I was just being a a**hole! Trust me if I had to carry it (and I did for a year) a 50 wouldn't be my first choice to hump! But you can't get Mk211 Mod 0 (Raufoss) projo's in a 338 either.

If they make the Raufoss projos in 338LM, or even in 375 CT, then that would be my first choice. Preferably the 338LM. It's a bit lighter to hump around I suppose. What part of NY do you live? I used to live up there for a while.

The thing that always amazed me is,Not the fact that the Canadian sniper hit a guy 2,657yds away with a tac 50. But that Carlos Hathcock hit a guy in Nam at 2500yds WITH A BROWNING M-2 with a homemade scope mount bolted to it holding his scope!!!!!!!

Without trolls you'd all be bored...J/K

Yes , I'm asking because, you guys HAVE shot that far, I have not YET.

I have to ask, do you think more time, prep, and care are put into the smaller calibers than most of the BMG's and thus the better results?
Can someone tell me y half the windage value is not better...?

Yeah, I know it is going to hurt but, as I said I'm not going to run a 90 shot competiton string, maybe 15-20 over an afternoon. I agree a 308 or 338 is going to be better for that. I'm 240 and don't break easy.

For comp brass I probably get 25-30 good ones out of 200. these are all weighed and grouped, CC'd for capacity and regrouped, primer hole reamed to match,primer pockets machined to match, trimmed to length to match my chamber, neck turned,neck sized, annealed,bullets weighed, primers seated with the anvils in the same spot. powder weighed twice,bullets seated,checked for run-out ETC...IT HAS TO BE ANAL

Ohh I forgot you have to load and fireform it first!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without trolls you'd all be bored...J/K

Yes , I'm asking because, you guys HAVE shot that far, I have not YET.

I have to ask, do you think more time, prep, and care are put into the smaller calibers than most of the BMG's and thus the better results?
Can someone tell me y half the windage value is not better...?

Yeah, I know it is going to hurt but, as I said I'm not going to run a 90 shot competiton string, maybe 15-20 over an afternoon. I agree a 308 or 338 is going to be better for that. I'm 240 and don't break easy. </div></div>

You definitely have the built for the 50 BMG then. The problem with the 50 BMG cartridge is the fact that there is no SAAMI specs for the 50 BMG. Therefore, the 50 BMG brass are not created equaled. Their tolerances are not very tight like say Lapua brass, or any other reputable brands. Therefore, you have to spend more time with the 50 BMG to make the brass more uniform. I hardly spend any time doing major case prep for any other cartridges that I shoot.

Next you have the projos to content with. If you want uniformity, you are now looking into the monolithic projos which are expensive as hell. Putting it all together, for every trigger pull, I spend more time making the round than other calibers.

To become proficient at the 50 BMG is not an easy feat either. You need to send lots and lots of rounds down range to become familiar with your stick and your ammo before you can go out and say with confident that you can hit a 1 MOA, or 1.5MOA target at longer ranges.

If you have the time, and dedication, and certainly the build to lug and shoot the 50 BMG, then by all means, it's for you.

What sucks, is I want them both.
Getting tired of shopping.

Time to pull trigger.
Thanks to all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What sucks, is I want them both.
Getting tired of shopping.

Time to pull trigger.
Thanks to all.

</div></div>

WE ALL DO!!!Actually I want one of everything. But the wife said no to the blonde and redhead!