• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What bolt can be used with a .224 Valkyrie

copterdrvr

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Lafayette, Looziana
I m a lefty and I can pick up a variety of left hand Savage bolt guns for a some great prices to do a barrel swap.

I've built five rifles so far using Criterion barrels using both Savage and Remington/Remage setups with better than .4 MOA at 300 yards and I'd like to build a .224 Valkyrie.

My question-is there a currently produced caliber that would allow me to build a rifle on that receiver/bolt combination like a 243/7-08/308 cal example or do I need a .224 Valkyrie specific bolt?

Copterdrvr

Crap. Well, I can change the bolt head so I guess the next question would be what caliber action to start with-I'm guessing 243/7-08/308 would work?

I'm thinking 223 would be too small a diameter?

Crap. Well, I can change the bolt head so I guess the next question would be what caliber action to start with-I'm guessing 243/7-08/308 would work?

I'm thinking 223 would be too small a diameter?
If you are building off a savage, buy a new bolt head.
If you are building off a remington or "clone" you will need a PTG bolt with the correct bolt face.
the .308 family is .473, which is too large.
Remington did a short run of 6.8 bolt action rifles.
Typical remington, they had 26" barrels with twists for the .270 Win unless you got a hold of one of the REALLY limited LTR's in 6.8

It'd be nice to build another "Remage" rifle but the odds of finding that rifle in left hand AND then at a reasonable price is probably a pipe dream.

I can pick up all kinds of left hand Savages in 243 and 308 for around 250 dollars so I'll probably go that route. I'm assuming that all of the "short action" non-Axis receivers to include the 223 use a receiver of the same dimensions?

If your wanting the Remington action maybe someone can bush the bolt and install a sako/M16 extractor ?