• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Bolt Knob and Muzzle Brake should I use

repiv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
The Colony Texas
www.dallasmicro.com
The gun is a Remington 700 5R in 308 so stainless. It is the 24" version.

I would like the bolt knob to be stainless too unless there is a good reason to use something else. I did use the search function and didnt get much help. I only saw the Bolt knob from Terry Cross. I really dont know what I want, just something better than factory.

For the muzzle break I looked at the one from Badger Ordnance but I would like as much recoil reduction as possible without an effect on accuracy. Is there a better brake? What are the things I need to consider when buying a brake?

Thanks for the help

Re: What Bolt Knob and Muzzle Brake should I use

I can't help you on the brake, but I can help you on the bolt knob. This is one of my installs:
215719_10150273555938868_504313867_9318035_4498506_n.jpg

I prefer not to use a stainless knob, they add a ton of unnecessary weight and make the bolt cycling feel different. Almost everyone uses aluminum, including Tactical Operations, which is whose knobs I install. You have a number of options for the bolt finish after install, but the one pictures was coated with Graphite Black Cerakote, which you may or may not want for your Stainless gun.

-matt

Ck out seekings new brake
very nice

Butt ugly, but the most effective brake I have used is from JP. I have one on a 300WSM and it recoils less than my 14 pound 223.

Forsale007.jpg

Can’t help you on a bolt knob, I have a great dislike for them unless they are on a custom action designed for one. Even then, they are quite literally a pain in the back if you carry them slung on your shoulder in the traditional way.

Brakes are for pussies...

If you plan to shoot at a range next to people you know, they will appreciate the fact that you skip that mod...

Use the Badger knob, send it to Kampfeld Customs and have him Cerakote it to match your stainless rifle...

I have had neck surgery (ADR). I am cleared to shoot but I need to reduce recoil as much as possible at least for a while. I dont own any other gun with a muzzle brake.

You should contact Keith at Phoenix Custom for bolt knobs. He's a hide member also. His turnaround time is very fast.

---diSko---

Here's a do it your self stainless knob I made the other day. Going to make one in aluminum this weekend.

DYIknob.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a do it your self stainless knob I made the other day. Going to make one in aluminum this weekend.

</div></div>

Excellent job!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a do it your self stainless knob I made the other day. Going to make one in aluminum this weekend.

DYIknob.jpg

</div></div>That's a sick knob,nice work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had neck surgery (ADR). I am cleared to shoot but I need to reduce recoil as much as possible at least for a while. I dont own any other gun with a muzzle brake. </div></div>

Understood--In that case, the Holland brake is a good one for the money. Brownells has them in stock.
Stock #:403-000-006
Mfr:HOLLANDS GUNSMITHING
Retail Price:$124.99
Dealer Price:$104.99

For bolt knob one word - Phoenix Custom Rifles (actually 3 words). Check out their website, they have a ton of different options for you.
Excellent service and quality, reasonable price, quick turnaround, and great guys to work with!

I have tried alot of bolt knobs and the one I like best is the APA hands down. I wish they were on all my rifles.

Eddie

Badger knob. No help on 700 breaks, run a Miculek on the AR.

DYIknob.jpg

</div></div>

Wow, very cool. A lot of detail on that knob. Is the brass just friction-fitted in there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diSko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should contact Keith at Phoenix Custom for bolt knobs. He's a hide member also. His turnaround time is very fast.

---diSko---</div></div>

+1

Phoenix Custom for bolt by far and Vias or JP for a brake. Your follow up shot will be spot on. I had a Vias and shot a JP before. Only gripe about the Vias is that the trace is real bad and blows the dust back in your face if your prone. I had hay all over me after using a hay bale for a rest when hog hunting.

Tac-Ops bolt knob (but I also like the Surgeon bolt knobs) and a APA muzzle brake.
I am having Jered install me the Little Jimmy on my .308.

monteboy does great work don't hesitate to have him install your bolt knob. He did mine on my Savage about 3yrs ago.