• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bottom metal is this--GAP/Surgeon 338L

Wildwillalaska

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
So after I decided I didn't use my Lapua enough and decided to part with it, I talked myself into another one. Second hand, said to be unfired, but have some doubt. Looking at bolt/break/bottom metal, certainly looks hardly used, but do not like the 3.65" mag length. Miss the seekins bottom metal on my prior stick.

Want to explore other options, but I cannot figure out the maker of the current metal. Since the bottom of the action matches the metal perfectly, changing just the metal will not get me anywhere without machining the action as well--so will likely make some rounds up for single shot and some to the mag length--but doesn't eliminate my curiosity.

Anyone have idea who the maker of this floor plate/bottom metal? Takes the shorter 338 AI mags. My curious mind wants to know. Thanks in advance.

It looks like the 1st generation, non CIP length bottom metal Surgeon used to use.

Last edited:
Exactly.
That is early Gen I Surgeon XL bottom metal. SAAMI only magazines.
If the entire gun is from the same date line, that XL action will not accept CIP mags anyway. Surgeon can do the mods to the action to bring it up to current spec very easily.
They could also tell you if their newer CIP XL bottom metal would fit that original footprint/inlet.

Call Stephen or Wade.

Thanks a ton guys. I had a suspicion just by how closely the metal matched with the bottom of the action--openings to both are exactly the same size. Looking at their new bottom metal, it is not as squared off so if I tried it, it would require some filling in the stock. I may give them a shout just to see the possibility of machinging out the action and the existing bottom metal to accept CIP mags. May just see how long it takes to wear out the barrel single feedings which is what I do most the time anyway.

Thanks again guys.

Will

Terry,

Your a smart man. Stephen was a big help. Confirmed your post completely and advised when they are running new XL actions through their tooling that I can send it down and get an update for an amazingly small amount of cash, + the new bottom metal. Will have to lengthen the inlet for the new mags, but confirmed (contrary to what I thought) that the footprint is the same.