• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Bottom Metal Should I Choose?

DJNN145

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2018
I am currently planning on building a rifle off of a ARC Nucleus and I would like to put it in a Manner's Rem 700 T5a stock. The barrel and action will be set up for 6.5 Creedmoor. What bottom metal should I purchase for this rifle? What magazines will work with a 6.5 Creedmoor? SHould I go single, hinged floorplate, or magazine fed if I want to use it in competition? On the Manners website for my stock here are my options:

• Badger M-4 Hinged Floor Plate
  • Badger M-5 Detach Mag System
  • Badger M-7 Detach Mag System
  • G.A. Hinged
  • HS Detach Mag System Gen 1
  • HS Detach Mag System Gen 2
  • MCS-BDL Mini Chassis - $149.00
  • MCS-DBM Barricade Mini Chassis - $390.00
  • MCS-DBM Mini Chassis Gen 1 - $360.00
  • MCS-DBM Mini Chassis Gen 2 - $360.00
  • Other Trigger Guard
  • PTG BDL
  • PTG DBM Stealth
  • Remington ADL Repeater
  • Remington ADL Single Shot
  • Remington BDL Hinged Floor Plate
  • Seekins Detach Mag System (AI Mag)
  • Seekins Detach Mag System (Seekins Mag)
  • Seekins Detach Mag System (WSM Mag)
  • Stiller DBM
  • Surgeon Detach Mag System
Thanks for the help! :)

Depends on what kinds of competition. I don't think single shot should be in your list of options, especially if you're doing PRS or F-class shooting, as those can require faster follow up shots than single loading ammunition will be (for most people at least, seasoned shooters are probably pretty fast on the draw when it comes to single loading).

I think most will agree that you'll want to run a bottom metal that accepts AICS magazines. If you can buy it without the bottom metal, or get a bottom metal that you won't necessarily use and will swap out later, places like CDI Precision sell bottom metals for many of the different footprints, and they'll inlet the stock that you have and install the bottom metal after purchase for free. I had them do the inlet on a Choate tactical stock for my Savage 10 so I could ditch the standard 4 round mags in favor for AICS mags. Later on down the road you may decide to get another rifle, and if it takes AICS magazine, or has the ability to be converted to do so, you'll already have magazines. Just for ease of use, reliability, and availability of manufacturers that make AICS style magazines, I think AICS is your best bet.

Reactions: DJNN145
Depends on what kinds of competition. I don't think single shot should be in your list of options, especially if you're doing PRS or F-class shooting, as those can require faster follow up shots than single loading ammunition will be (for most people at least, seasoned shooters are probably pretty fast on the draw when it comes to single loading).

I think most will agree that you'll want to run a bottom metal that accepts AICS magazines. If you can buy it without the bottom metal, or get a bottom metal that you won't necessarily use and will swap out later, places like CDI Precision sell bottom metals for many of the different footprints, and they'll inlet the stock that you have and install the bottom metal after purchase for free. I had them do the inlet on a Choate tactical stock for my Savage 10 so I could ditch the standard 4 round mags in favor for AICS mags. Later on down the road you may decide to get another rifle, and if it takes AICS magazine, or has the ability to be converted to do so, you'll already have magazines. Just for ease of use, reliability, and availability of manufacturers that make AICS style magazines, I think AICS is your best bet.
Looking at the Manners website, I found out that they make their own chassis/bottom metal that takes AICS mags! It also comes with some barricade support for a bonus. It does not look like it comes with the screws and such to connect the action and stock/chassis, where would I get these and what brand should I get?

The Manners chassis will work for me but I’m not sure what else I will need to complete the build. I have the bottom metal, trigger, action, and barrel, but where should I buy the set screws?

Mini-chassis is a solid choice. They come with action screws and one five round mag.

You are referring to the Manners chassis correct? Just trying to be sure.
Yeah, the manners is actually called a minichassis in the it’s only really under the action footprint and then molded into the rest of the stock and not the entire length of the rifle like a full chassis would be.

Yeah, the manners is actually called a minichassis in the it’s only really under the action footprint and then molded into the rest of the stock and not the entire length of the rifle like a full chassis would be.
Sounds like a winner, and that is probably what I would go with if I was purchasing a manners stock.

Counter to the bottom metal discussion, you could always buy a chassis that will work with your action that is already AICS compatible. KRG, MDT, ESS, and MPA all make a chassis that will run AICS mags right out of the box. Most with similar or lower prices than the Manners. But, I can understand someone wanting a more traditional stock than a chassis.