• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bourbon is better/sweeter than Makers Mark?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Was getting into bourbon and taking a break from cognac. Found myself getting into a bottle of Maker's I had left sit on my bar for a while after receiving it as a gift and kind of letting it hang out.

A little splash and it was enjoyable, smooth, but just kind of lacked a little something to make it 'great'.

What's in the region of Makers, but better? I tend to like sweeter that can be drank neat and/or with just a splash. One thing to note is that I really enjoyed how smooth Makers was; I absoutely HATE alcohol aftertaste.

Had a few ideas, but haven't tried them. I'll be in Vegas this coming week to stock up, so looking for suggestions of what I may end up really liking.

Four Roses Single Barrel
    Four Roses Small Batch
    Woodford Reserve
    Elijah Craig Small Batch
    Buffalo Trace
    Weller?

Last edited:
    Was getting into bourbon and taking a break from cognac. Found myself getting into a bottle of Maker's I had left sit on my bar for a while after receiving it as a gift and kind of letting it hang out.

A little splash and it was enjoyable, smooth, but just kind of lacked a little something to make it 'great'.

What's in the region of Makers, but better? I tend to like sweeter that can be drank neat and/or with just a splash. One thing to note is that I really enjoyed how smooth Makers was; I absoutely HATE alcohol aftertaste.

Had a few ideas, but haven't tried them. I'll be in Vegas this coming week to stock up, so looking for suggestions of what I may end up really liking.

Four Roses Single Barrel
    Four Roses Small Batch
    Woodford Reserve
    Elijah Craig Small Batch
    Buffalo Trace
    Weller?
    Maker's Mark is a "wheater", although a poor example. It uses wheat in lieu of rye to some extent, which makes it smoother.

You can choose Maker's 46 which is higher quality, or go with another quality "wheater" such as Larceny (my favorite) or Weller's Antique 107, or Old Fitzgerald.

Or, since you aren't poor...Pappy Van Winkle is the most sought after and expensive, though Pappy's is rumored to be nothing more than hand picked and carefully aged Weller's 107.

Reactions: teele1 and TACC
    Sweet whiskey? Sounds like crown royal. I'm not a fan.

Woodford is good, smooth. Had a glass last night. I wouldn't call it sweet. I almost bought woodford wheat by mistake. I probably should have tried it. Also had two hefeweissbier dunkels.

Reactions: 1J04
    Sweet whiskey? Sounds like crown royal. I'm not a fan.

Woodford is good, smooth. Had a glass last night. I wouldn't call it sweet. I almost bought woodford wheat by mistake. I probably should have tried it. Also had two hefeweissbier dunkels.

Im curious if Woodford Wheat would be something Id be looking for.

Worth a try. I've only had the plain bourbon and the double oaked. I didn't care for the double oaked.

Might try Bushmills Black Bush, it's flavors and character really surprised me.

Eagle Rare or Elijah, or for a bit on the wild find a bottle of Monkey Shoulder, or even Jameson Caskmates (preferably the Stout edition).

@MtnCreek got it right tho. 100% sweet would be some of the flavored Crown’s. The Vanilla is mighty tasty either sipped on the rocks or splashed with some coke.

Not technically bourbon because it's not aged in new barrels, but Michter's American Whiskey is fantastic. I second four roses single barrel/small batch. I'll also add Basil Hayden's to the list. I tend to like bourbons with a higher rye content though, so if you like the wheatier ones, you may not like my recommendations. I'm sipping on an old fashioned made with bulleit as i type this. For those checking time stamps, yes, it's 6:46 a.m. I'm working midnights right now.

Try Buffalo Trace, you won't be disappointed.
    "This deep amber whiskey has a complex aroma of vanilla, mint and molasses. Pleasantly sweet to the taste with notes of brown sugar and spice that give way to oak, toffee, dark fruit and anise. This whiskey finishes long and smooth with serious depth."
    DW

We went to a friends barbecue in TX and there was a bourbon tasting table. The guys dropping them off were enthusiasts so all pretty good bourbons. After sipping the different bourbons over the day my choice was Blantons first, followed by Angels Envy and than Woodford reserve. I wouldn't call these sweet. I found a bottle of Blantons and enjoy it with one or two DROPS of water..

Most of some of the sought after labels, regardless of price, are made by Buffalo Trace. In my area, they are allocated such that stores only get X number of bottles based on what is produced and how well the store sells their product.

I would recommend the following:

Blanton’s
    Weller 107
    EH Taylor Single Barrel
    Four Roses Barrel Strength Single Barrel
    Angel’s Envy Rye
    Willett Small Batch Rye
    Stagg Jr.

Reactions: TACC
    Maker's Mark is a "wheater", although a poor example. It uses wheat in lieu of rye to some extent, which makes it smoother.

You can choose Maker's 46 which is higher quality, or go with another quality "wheater" such as Larceny (my favorite) or Weller's Antique 107, or Old Fitzgerald.

Or, since you aren't poor...Pappy Van Winkle is the most sought after and expensive, though Pappy's is rumored to be nothing more than hand picked and carefully aged Weller's 107.

Pappy's is as close to Cognac as Ive found. No burn or strong after taste.

Speaking of no Bern....

Bernie Sanders Boxing GIF - BernieSanders Boxing Fail GIFs

• Haha
    Reactions: BLEE
    Most of some of the sought after labels, regardless of price, are made by Buffalo Trace. In my area, they are allocated such that stores only get X number of bottles based on what is produced and how well the store sells their product.

Blanton’s
    Weller 107
    EH Taylor Single Barrel
    Angel’s Envy Rye
    Willett Small Batch Rye
    Stagg Jr.

This is spot on. For the $ Buffalo Trace is the most straight sippable for me at the lowest price point. I only like Woodford if I leave it open a few days with the cap off before pouring it- then I really like it. When feeling spendy Blantons and Willett are the go-tos. Also Rowans Creek and/or Noahs Mill also from the Willett distillery are worth the price of admission-

I went to a tasting for Garrison Brothers recently. I preferred their standard blend to their single barrel, but I don’t know much about bourbon.

@TheGerman
    After reading the other replies, it is clear to me, I may well be a drunk. No one else has mentioned the bourbon you asked about, which could mean I get around like a cheap whore.

The bourbon you seek is Old Forester Statesman. I reviewed it here somewhere, and mentioned it being so sweet I almost thought they put syrup in it, which they don't. It's pretty good, but almost too sweet for me. You may like it.

Elijah Craig is good likker too, very good.

Makers doesn't even get a nod from me at all.

For sweet, try American Honey. It's a Wild Turkey product. No adders and room temp.

Too good to have around.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

For sweet, try American Honey. It's a Wild Turkey product. No adders and room temp.

Too good to have around.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

I dont want anything added, thats not really a bourbon its more of a whiskey with syrup added.

I don't mean sweet like fake syrup, I just dont like alchol aftertaste and I know some people love a lot of oak and smoke and literally fight with their drink, but I prefer sweeter.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn

Blanton’s
    Weller 107
    EH Taylor Single Barrel
    Angel’s Envy Rye
    Willett Small Batch Rye
    Stagg Jr.
    Great list right there.

I have this on the shelf, really curious what tastes like. I've heard it's pretty good.

20190928_121554.jpg

20190928_124735.jpg

I prefer sweeter bourbons as well. I really like Makers 46, Blantons, Stag Jr and Angels Envy Rye (a limited release but an amazing rye that is so smooth and has notes of caramel). Ironically, I don’t like the regular Angels Envy either. Their rye is special.

Good luck

OP, ultimately, what you like is what you like. There's a lot of variation out there. You've indicated by the mention of Makers that you may gravitate toward wheaters. Skookum in post 2 pretty much nailed it. Just about every thing else suggested is either not a wheater, (a rye mash bill that adds spice and removes the softness you seek), or at a proof level you will find disagreeable. Or is just not a bourbon at all.

So, as you begin the journey, and let it be that, visit some whiskey bars and taste some variety to see what you like. You may be surprised.

So based on a perceived taste profile, I would point you first to Wellers 12 if you can find it. The Antique 107 is going to be too hot for you. Larceny is an excellent lower cost choice. Old Fitz is worth a try. My best choice for you is a little unobtanium, but Pappy 20 year old is tops or Van Winkle 12 year old. Except for the Larceny, those can be really hard to find and expensive. Try them at a good whiskey bar.
    Frankly, the two bourbons that I would steer you to as a beginner would be Eagle Rare and Elijah Craig small batch. Those are both low rye mashbills and very nice pours. Readily available and under $30. Woodford Reserve is often recommended to beginners as well because it is so average. It stands out in no real way but does not offend either. Personally, I only like Woodford at barrel strength, but that's just me.

Last edited:
    Sweet in a bourbon comes down to two things. Taste, and served temperature. Sweet is also based on the taste notes of vanilla, caramel, and banana. The colder a higher rye bourbon is served, teh more the vanilla and banana notes bring on a sweet flavor.
    There is one bourbon that does this consistently, but I like the price it is at right now so telling everyone and his brother so demand skyrockets and supply diminishes driving price up, nope learned that lesson from Black Maple Hill when I could get it. Now the fuckers in California got a lock on it becuase I talked.
    So I'll just keep my favorite in the freezer and our into its frozen glass on a big block cube for that sweet heaven vanilla banana taste that sends me straight to heaven when I drink it

Reactions: Geno C.

Four Roses Single Barrel
    Four Roses Small Batch
    Woodford Reserve
    Elijah Craig Small Batch
    Buffalo Trace
    Weller?

Personally, I never have understood the allure of Makers Mark. I’m not really a fan. I’d take Woodford over Makers any day. It’s not sweet tho.

Buffalo Trace neat is my favorite my better half, she's partial to Four Roses Single barrel neat
    too smooth for me i could drink an entire fifth in an evening

Reactions: Frank Warren
    Buffalo trace is good but the cash
    very old Barton is just as good if not better for the money.

Knob creek
    Woodford
    Wild turkey 101
    Rare breed
    Kentucky spirit
    Blantons
    Bookers
    Angels envy
    Russell’s reserve
    Anything four roses makes
    Anything old grandad
    Michter’s

Due to this thread, went to pick something up a little different, got a chance to try some before purchase also. Very smooth stuff.

Boondocks

Attachments

• 20190928_190430.jpg
      20190928_190430.jpg
      349.2 KB · Views: 75
    Reactions: SilentStalkr
    Since you are asking for opinions ill chime in, makers mark is very over rated and not worth what it cost. However Basil Hayden is very good especially for the price point.....but as someone else mentioned, your not poor so buy some Pappy Van Winkle 22 year and make your pallet happy.

Since you are asking for opinions ill chime in, makers mark is very over rated and not worth what it cost. However Basil Hayden is very good especially for the price point.....but as someone else mentioned, your not poor so buy some Pappy Van Winkle 22 year and make your pallet happy.

Very overrated imo!

I get the sense that what you want isn't really so much "sweet" but rather a quality whiskey that doesn't have an overly aggressive flavor profile. Jefferson's Reserve Very Old is a blended bourbon that my nephew introduced to me recently that might be right up your alley. I'm more of a Scotch whisky guy, but Jefferson's really made a positive impression on me as one of those rare bourbons that has the complexity and subtlety that I look for in Scotch. It's very good stuff.

I dont want anything added, thats not really a bourbon its more of a whiskey with syrup added.

I don't mean sweet like fake syrup, I just dont like alchol aftertaste and I know some people love a lot of oak and smoke and literally fight with their drink, but I prefer sweeter.
    Pick up a bottle of Angel’s Envy. Finished in port barrels gives it a touch of sweet. Not overpowering but imo just right.

Pick up a bottle of Angel’s Envy. Finished in port barrels gives it a touch of sweet. Not overpowering but imo just right.

I was making a list and had that on it but there isnt a single Total Wine in the Las Vegas area that has a bottle. Apparently Weller can't be found either.

And for the Pappy guys, I'd really need to do the same thing I do with certain cognacs with that; find someone that has it and let me try it before spending 500$+ for something to find out it sucks.

I was making a list and had that on it but there isnt a single Total Wine in the Las Vegas area that has a bottle. Apparently Weller can't be found either.

And for the Pappy guys, I'd really need to do the same thing I do with certain cognacs with that; find someone that has it and let me try it before spending 500$+ for something to find out it sucks.

High end, limited availability bottles of Weller and the Antique Collection bourbons from Buffalo Trace will be hitting the market in October and November.

Nice thread....

@TheGerman

I keep saying to spend the $75 and get a bottle of Widow Jane...If you can't get it in UT, I would be happy to coordinate sending you a bottle. Everything you see on this thread is ho hum...including Pappy. Same names....blah, blah blah. I don't think you will find a better bourbon....just perfect and only $75.

I have a long and constant experience with all manner of whiskeys....grain and/or grape...

Last edited: