• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What brake for 300 win mag? Badger FTE?

Mr45auto

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2007
Oregon City OR
I'm building a 300 win mag and have been looking towards the Badger FTE for a muzzle brake. It seems to meet a few basic requirements of being easy to attach/remove and it's weight should minimize the POI shift when removing it and using a suppressor. I'd appreciate any advice on other brakes to use that are quick and easy to remove. This 300 win build will wind up being pretty lightweight and I'd much prefer not to develop a flinch when shooting it.

Does the FTE live up to it's billing on recoil reduction?

Thanks.

I see the APA is a 5/8"x24 tpi brake:
https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/muzzlebrakes/little-bastard-brake/

Not sure what your barrel threading is but for that thread pitch, you might as well get the Seekins Muzzle Brake. That one is very suppressor friendly. The APA brake looks like it needs to be timed and with repetitive removal and install, it can get out of position. I experienced that with my JP Recoil Eliminator.

I posted the same thread question for the same cartridge. After considering that I may someday get a can I think a Seekins is what I want. My HS Precision tapered and fluted barrel is 0.75 inches at the muzzle.
In formal black finish, of course. Good for shotgun weddings. ;o)

how often are you truly going to be swapping from a suppressor to the brake? I am planning an APA Fat Bastard on my 30-06 build but I think the suppressor would be quite effective as a brake and flash hider :)

Is the Fat Bastard a little bit of an overkill for a 300WM? I dropped off my 300WM and Fat Bastard yesterday at my local gunsmith, and they called me today to suggest I install a Little Bastard instead...Which they have in stock and will credit me the difference.

That Muscle brake is very effective. Your buddies to the left and right will hate you, but its still easy going on a magnum for the shooter.

how often are you truly going to be swapping from a suppressor to the brake? I am planning an APA Fat Bastard on my 30-06 build but I think the suppressor would be quite effective as a brake and flash hider :)

I'm actually thinking I'll swap quite a bit. Planning for a Gemtech sandstorm at 13oz and figured with the heavy 8oz of the FTE it would minimize POI shift. This will be hanging off a proof research barrel. I expect the rifle to come out very light with a proof barrel, defiance action and Manners T2 with 90% carbon. I'm thinking the brake will need to be as effective as possible while allowing that swap to the can. I've got some time here as my action should ship some time in January.

Probably good on the timeframe since brass is nonexistent right now.

I'm also looking for the best setup for a 300WM. I'm planning on turning in the end of a 26" M24 so that it will be flush. I've narrowed it down to the Thruster of the Little Bastard.
Honestly I like the price of the thruster but wonder if the smaller ports would suffice for a 300WM.
I think the APA LB looks bad ass, but am worried about dust kick up as it seems the larger ports do not vent upward... Also it's almost double the price.
Has anyone used these two on a 300WM before?

My precision armerment M41 does a great job and doesnt need timed. I would recommend using the spanner wrench to tight it down and make it easier to get odd as well. Im shooting the 180s out of my 7rem mag at 2840 with a 22lb rig and this break and it kicks the same as my 7-08 with a Harrel that weighed 12lbs.

Good luck,
Merritt

260-300wm or ultra mag use Little bastard for large caliber 338 stuff get Fat Bastard. You won't regret it!

+1 on the APA brakes. I have the little and the fat both are great. I had the FB on a 7 BAT, it doesn't move very easy to spot your own shots. The LB is on a 308 with the same results.

KJ

I take it that you already have a specific suppressor in mind, one that does not interface with a brake? I have an AAC Mk13 brake on my 300WM and so naturally if suppressors were legal here I'd look into an AAC can for the QD option. As for the Badger FTE, I have one on a 308 and couldn't be happier. I'd probably go with the new Mini FTE next time around for the 308, but it does exactly what I want it to do and being easily removable is a big plus when shooting an F-Class match.

Thanks.

I installed an FTE on a 308 LTR hoping to reduce muzzle hop, which it did and allowed spotting hits easier. It also reduced recoil a little. A friend of mine installed the same brake on his 300 WM and I swear, the recoil of that 9 lb rifle felt like shooting a .243. So yes, the recoil on the heavy hitters is greatly reduced.

I just did a test on my 24" 338LM with the FTE and Fat Bastard. The FTE works great and the straight to the side ports work good for not throwing any debris back on you. The FB definitely had better recoil reduction but you will get debris on you. If I had a longer barrel I'm thinking I would not catch as much debris with the FB.

I run the FTE on my 300SAUM pushing a 185gn bullet to 2950 and it kicks like a 243. Probably could find a more efficient brake but I love the look of the FTE and it is easy to clean.

I shot mt 300 WM yesterday for the first time,the FTE brake gave it less recoil than my 260 unbraked, maybe 20% more than a 223 AR. I just cleaned the guns this morning, the brake is extremely easy to clean vs my other brakes, no green residue visible at all,clean as a whistle.

We use the APA Fat Bastard on our 338 lapua and have tested it with great success on other calibers as well.

fat bastard

I'm building a 300 win mag and have been looking towards the Badger FTE for a muzzle brake. It seems to meet a few basic requirements of being easy to attach/remove and it's weight should minimize the POI shift when removing it and using a suppressor. I'd appreciate any advice on other brakes to use that are quick and easy to remove. This 300 win build will wind up being pretty lightweight and I'd much prefer not to develop a flinch when shooting it.

+1 on far bastard very effective at reducing recoil
Thanks.

+1 on the fat bastard very good recoil reduction