• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Brand Cermaic Media do you use?

Jrb572

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I see the Cabela's brand media it's $49.99. Is there any other brands and any that are cheaper. Which brand works best? I have an RCBS vibrating tumbler.

Re: What Brand Cermaic Media do you use?

The ceramic media is a wet process used with a rotating tumbler.

Spherical media can be used in a vibratory tumbler. It gives ok results. The best results I have obtained though, have been with the angle cut media from Cabelas in a Thumler's rotary tumbler.

Whats wrong with good ole corn cob?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats wrong with good ole corn cob?</div></div>

It does a crappy job of cleaning out the primer pockets and inside of the necks.

Call me ignorant, but you should be cleaning your brass, before running into any die, this would include a size die that will punch out the old primer so there would be no way for the media to clean out the primer pocket?

The process that I have found works well (A little time consumming) is to take a primer pocket brush from RCBS, mount it in a drill press at about 920 RPM, and clean each pocket. It may take a little bit of time, I did 1000 .45 in about an hour this weekend, and I now know 100% that all the primer pockets are clean. If your worried about the inside of the brass, then you can use on of the other mrushes that RCBS has, and do the same process for the inside of the brass. There just are some things that the media is not going to get out of the brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: engineerairborne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call me ignorant, but you should be cleaning your brass, before running into any die, this would include a size die that will punch out the old primer so there would be no way for the media to clean out the primer pocket? </div></div> Some of us tumble before AND after sizing. It's a handy to remove sizing lubricants. And when you tumble after sizing, the media can clean the primer pocket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: engineerairborne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your worried about the inside of the brass, then you can use on of the other mrushes that RCBS has, and do the same process for the inside of the brass. </div></div> Or, you can just use ceramic media, or ultrasonic, and save yourself yet another step.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: engineerairborne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There just are some things that the media is not going to get out of the brass.</div></div> It's clear you've never used ceramic media.

I'd say he's pretty green if those .45 were of the ACP variety and he even bothered to clean the primer pocket...

I have an ultra sonic cleaner i use its for my .308 & .300wm. I just want the cases cleaner on other rounds I reload. I have seen some say angle cut cermaic media will work in a vibrating case cleaner. I was just wanting to know if there was a different brand that was cheaper. I think I have seen lyman media but it says for I think applying moly coating? It is $20.00 dollar.

I run a primer pocket uniformer after every firing so I dont have to worry about tumbling the primer pockets clean. I think corn cob does a good enough of a job for me. Then again, I do let the tumbler run for 4-8 hours (I forget that its on sometimes
    laugh.gif
    )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say he's pretty green if those .45 were of the ACP variety and he even bothered to clean the primer pocket... </div></div>

Ditto. Never have cleaned a .45 primer pocket. The PPs I do clean do not get the brush treatment. I'm too lazy.

I will admit that I'm new at this, I guess I was just suggesting if you are that worried about getting the Primer Pockets clean, and your media is not getting it done, then there are other ways.

It only takes me a few seconds to do each one with the brush in my drill press, and I would much rather know that it is done right.

As far as the need to clean the pockets I guess that I am to new to know if it is needed or not. I figure it only take me a few seounds per round and this way I know that I'm not going to have a miss fire due to the primer pocket not being cleaned.

I punch out my primers with a Universal Decapper. This only punches the primers out and it has a beefy pin that I would say is unbreakable. There is a collet on the top of this stem (decapping pin) that if for some reason the primer is crimped too much (never had that happen) or a rock inside the case it will not break the decapping pin but releve the pressure and push the decapper up through the collet. i think it may be a Lee decapper, but that is how I get media in my primer pockets and necks to clean. I also let mine tumble in a vibratory tumbler overnight and it does a pretty good job inside and out. I always uniform my primer pockets and chamfer my flash holes so I never have to worry about media trapped in the case.

Guys I asked what kind of ceramic media. Can I use in a vibrating tumble?

Look here!! Ceramic Media's

I have one buddy that uses the cylinder type in the smallest size he could get. However, this stuff is rather pricy! $10.68/lb with a 55lb min order I beleive!

Terry