• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What brass to choose

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
I know that with the crazyness of components being availabe it comes down to what ever you can get.
But out of the following brass manufactures which would be the most ideal to use an why, Im not one to weight case by volume.
I will be using them for my FTR rig savage 1:12 twist
I have access to the folowing brands all in 308 brand new
Lapua
Winchester
IMI
LC match
thanks for input

I have used LC match and Rem brass and could not tell much difference in my reloads. Unless you are shooting benchrest for max precision, I don't see the need to spend $ on the Lapua.

Thats the issue I have
I went out an paid my buddys storage fees, and long story short he repaid me by giving me all his brass from when he was active in high power in the early to mid 90
if I where to say he was a hoarder that would not be exageration
probably about 10k of new brass in each of the mentioned brass
I was always happy with fed brass but now i have all these

If you already have all that brass, may as well use the best, which IMO is the Lapua. You could probably sell some of the other brass on this website to recoup some of your money.

p.s.

That was nice of you to help out your friend. The shooting community is full of good people!

Last edited:
If only I had more powder and primers
brass prep is getting old. i thought about selling it, but i would sell it for what it "use to be worth" before all this crazynes

Have used them all; over many years----never had any bad experiences with any of them.
Managed 10-15 loadings on the Winchester---no defects; just tossed it. Likewise with all but the Lapua----haven't reached that point --yet.
The LC took a slightly less load, as the internal volume is less---but it performed flawlessly.
In 30 years, I've cracked 1 Winchester case and had 2 LC's develop a neck split-----both instances were my fault for not ensuring proper head spacing specs--which I now do meticulously.
As time goes by, the prices of brass will escalate and availability is unpredictable--------think of it as a bank account, eh?
Best of luck.

Lapua. Money well spent. Drilled primer pockets (not punched), annealed, hard as hell, in spec, the list goes on.

Thanks for the repiles, so with what everyones input it seems like im going to have to figure out what a good going price will be. I dont want to give it away for as nice as I am, but I will not be one of those guys that charges an arm and a leg for it. We already have to pay that for powder an primers.
Thanks for everyones input now ill find a reasonable price and let it go.
That an the 6.5x284 brass as well. My rifle decided not to play anymore.