• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What Broadheads do you use?

Icecreamman

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Shot a doe last night using a Redhead Blackout (I get all redhead stuff 40% off or higher) this is my first season with them and it was a perfect lung shot and only had 2 spots of blood! They didn't leave a single drop of blood anywhere else and it took me over an hour to stumble across her. Just wondering if anyone else has used these and have had the same problem? I use to use fix blade muzzys and never had that problem. I shoot roughly 10 a year with my bow and if it does it again they are out in my book.

Re: What Broadheads do you use?

I use the 168gr. Barnes triple shock Broadhead. It seams to do very well at 3000fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">slick trick </div></div>

+1 for slick tricks

Only fixed blade broadhead I've used that truly flies like a field point.
Uber deadly!!!

Slick tricks.....long time Muzzy user and decided to try them last year. They fly very good. Muzzy's are great broadheads but always to some tuning for me.

2 blade rage, they leave big holes [img:left]
alaskapics060.jpg
[/img]

im with patriotoutlaw, i use the montex g5, they are a all solid one piece broad head, killed 20 deer with them and never had one run farther than 40 yrds....

For many years when I shot fixed broadhead I preferred Thunderhead 100's and also Muzzy's. They were both GREAT. But now I am a Rage fan, shot quite a few deer and 1 turkey and never had one run more then 100 yds and always leaves a HUGE blood trail.

another rage fan here. I am going with fixed blades for bear though. Just a personal preference of course.

150gr Magnus Stinger 4 blades. Flys true and can take a beating. Just took a buck at 84 yds. Perfect lung shot. Recovered 40 yards down a ravine from where it was shot.

Not much of a blood trail but was pleased with the quick kill. This is my first deer hunting season so we'll see how I fare as the season rolls by.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icecreamman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it was a perfect lung shot </div></div>

Are you saying that when you field dressed your doe, you found that the broadhead went through the middle of both lungs?
If that is the case, I wouldn't dare give these broadheads another shot. Any lung shot with a good broadhead should yield lots and lots of blood.

I am not claiming to be an archery expert, but I have taken my good share of animals with a stick and string. You will find most people blame poor broadhead performance when they should really blame poor shot placement. A field point will kill a deer, if it's in the right spot. The proof is in the pudding when you field dress that animal and see what kind of damage you have reaped.

I use spitfires. Sometimes I'll throw on a 2 blade stinger for pig hunting. Both of these have yielded excellent results on lots of game.

and that's my two cents...............

I used the the G5 tekan the last couple yrs. but thought I would try the rages 2 blade out this yr. Had great luck with the tekan and don't think I will have any problem with the rages either, would recommend both.

I refuse to use anything that is not fixed two-blade single bevel. Proven time and again to give better penetration, bone-splitting, and blood loss than anything else. Currently I'm using Tusker 190gr right wings.

So on the Slick Tricks web page they have a 40KE special head. And I was wondering who here if any are getting 40 ft-lb out of your bows and if so what are you running?

Mechanical Rocket 100gr 3 blade Sidewinders make a real mess of deer for me. I shoot a Mathews DXT and get 280fps with a 400gr arrow which equates to 70ft-lbs.

I shoot a 700gr arrow at around 190fps for about 55 ft-lbs of energy and about 0.60 slug-ft/s of momentum. I've always thought more emphasis should be placed on momentum of your arrow than the speed. Speed helps for the longer shots and if you've got an edgy deer, but momentum is what's going to do your cutting.