• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

what bullet are you 5R guys using ?

The_AKD

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2010
What are you guys using with your Remington 5R's in 308 ?

Im not so interested in the 100m groups but farther out.

any 190smk users or is everyone on 175smk and 178amax ?

Im a 178amax guy but im gona start up a 190smk load this weekend using varget powder. Wondering if anyone elce uses 190smk and how did they work for you?

Re: what bullet are you 5R guys using ?

Mine shot 168's and 175's really good. Not so much with the 190's but I didn't put much effort into them. It was not fussy with the 175 loads at all, grouped everything well under an inch so I put my effort into that load.

I've got a Remington 5R, bought last year. Pretty much factory configuration except for bottom metal and DBM. 3.5-15x50mm NXS ZS MOA/MOA.

175 Nosler Competition bullets, Lapua Brass LR, 42.5 Varget, and WLR primers. Consistently 1/2 MOA.

No problem getting to 1100+ yards supersonic. Course I'm at about 7000 feet elevation.

-David
Edgewood, NM

5R isn't going to favor one particular bullet in every instance. It's just like every other rifle, what one likes, another may not. You'll be best off picking a bullet you want to use and develop a load for it. If you can't get it to shoot, then switch to something else. For 190 gr the Bergers are where I would start. Good Luck

I shoot 175smk for messing with paper and so far out to 665 thu hold up great much better than the 168amax. The 168amax seem to loose it when you take them past 500 yards.

I also shoot the 150SSTs sub.75" at 100y. I haven't taken them further because I'm not worried what they will do...as they are my go to hunting bullet which would likely never be shot past 150y where I hunt. I had my 5r chopped to 20" and I love it. Cutting the barrel was a great improvement on handiness, portability, and is slightly more accurate at the 100y line.

I have best result with FGMM 175-gr SMK, good out to a 1000-yards, so far. M118 Match (173-gr FMJ) from late 70's works almost as well, but notice the bullet drops a little more then the SMK. FGMM with 168-gr has only been consistant out to 700-yards for me, and I'm shooting at 7200-ft elevation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rntobey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">175 SMK </div></div>

+1.

Using Varget.