• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bullet for .223AI?

Notdylan

Privates
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2017
Beechgrove, Tennessee
Having a 223AI built. Was planning on doing a 24" 1:7 with 75 eldm's but am open to other heavies. Is 1:7 too fast for that bullet at AI speeds? What do you feel the sweet spot is, bullet and twist rate, for this chambering? Just looking to shoot steel and paper.

Not sure why you would go AI for steel and paper. The AI will use 10% more powder to get 2-4% more velocity. All other gains will be due to overloading which can be done just as well in the Std case.
That aside, Go with whatever shoots best. 77 SMK, Bergers, 77 Lapua VLD etc. 1.7.5 will be adequate twist wise. I built a 6.5 twist for the 80 and 90 grain bullets with a 32" Bartlien and standard Wylde chamber on a Surgeon recently. Shoots well but have not taken to long range yet.

Not sure why you would go AI for steel and paper. The AI will use 10% more powder to get 2-4% more velocity. All other gains will be due to overloading which can be done just as well in the Std case.
That aside, Go with whatever shoots best. 77 SMK, Bergers, 77 Lapua VLD etc. 1.7.5 will be adequate twist wise. I built a 6.5 twist for the 80 and 90 grain bullets with a 32" Bartlien and standard Wylde chamber on a Surgeon recently. Shoots well but have not taken to long range yet.

I guess I should have worded that differently. I'm more curious about throating, should I have it throated for the 70+ gr bullets or step up to the 80-90's.

One of the main appeals of the Ackley is you pretty much have to trim brass once. Ever. The speed is an added benefit :)

80 ELD's or 75 ELD's will work great with a 1:7 twist. I use the 80's. You should be able to get around 3,000 FPS with that barrel length in a .223 AI. Ballistics will be amazing.

I wondered about the throating issue. Mine is way out to mag length for the 90 grain dummy rounds I set up. I am not sure I like the 90's but just wanted to give them a try. The 77 grain SMK's shoot through deer about every time so only advantage would be for LR target shooting. Understand on the AI. I seldom need to trim normal 5.56 brass due to not using the ball on the decapping rod.

80 ELD's or 75 ELD's will work great with a 1:7 twist. I use the 80's. You should be able to get around 3,000 FPS with that barrel length in a .223 AI. Ballistics will be amazing.

Boy you're not kidding. An 80gr @ 3000 is nearly 6.5creed ballistics. Hopefully I don't have to load too hot for that.

Boy you're not kidding. An 80gr @ 3000 is nearly 6.5creed ballistics. Hopefully I don't have to load too hot for that.
I have an 18" barrel and I usually hit high pressure at 2,850 FPS. I would think with the right powder and a long barrel 3,000 would be reachable.

I recommend staying with 7 twist.

I'll be trying the 80 ELDM, almost a .5 BC, it will present near optimum BC potential in that twist rate, and can be driven fast, like about 3000 fps.