• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bullets would you buy?

SilverxFoX

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2005
New York
www.snipershide.com
A buddy of mine has been selling shooting supplies for awhile now and I've been talking to him about stocking some reloading components and it sounds like he is on board. I know how hard it is to find half the components so I figured I'd ask everyone here what you would buy. Right now I'm just looking for a list of bullets you would buy on a regular basis so I can get him rolling. Brand / Model / Grain

As always the hide would get first dibs on buying supplies he gets in stock.

Thank you

.30cal Hornady 168 Match BTHP and the same in 178gr if Hornady starts making then again. I also run Sierra 168/175 and Lapua 167s

It depends on what you use the bullets for. I had a bullet that was wonderful for accuracy but blew up when you hit bone, and wouldn't penetrate deep enough for hunting. I think I have found a bullet now that is the best of both worlds. It is extremely accurate and holds together for hunting. It is Nosler, Accu-bond, 140 grain, 270. I wish they were a little cheaper, but I have a small stock pile of them.

OP, if you friend can get a bead on some 118LR pulls (Sierra 175 SMK) and the M80 pulls (147 fmj) they may be good sellers and quick turnover.

I'd also stock some of the hunting line stuff as many people who re-load ony do so for hunting rifles.

ie Nosler BT's and AB's of various flavors and in small quantity, Hornady SST's and Interbond/Interlocks same deal small qty big variety.

For target/varmint stuff, .224 Vmax's 55 gr, .224 heavies, 6mm and 6.5 match bullets (Berger, Amax, SMK's, etc)

Did you ever say WHAT THEY WERE GOING TO BE USED FOR? For me, this is one of the most important questions.

Good luck.

If I understand his post they are going to be used for selling. He is wondering what to stock at his buddies store.

I too was confused about the post until I read it more carefully. I went to Camp Perry a few years back and stopped in one of the vendor tents. They were selling a bunch of components and had the more popular stuff that most people were apt to buy. They had 175 SMKs, 155 Palmas, 210 SMKs, 168 SMKs, and some .264 bullets that I cannot remember which weights because I don't shoot 6.5. I would definitely stock a bunch of 308 bullets in the above weights from Sierra, Berger, and maybe some Hornady Amax. For 6.5, get some 142 SMKs, 139 SMKs, some 140 Amax, and some Berger 130s. I think with those 2 calibers alone, that will keep your friend busy restocking the shelves.

Throw some .224 in there too, like 69 SMKs, 77 SMKs, Nosler 77 CC, 75 Amax

Has he checked with the wholesalers? Most manufacturers and almost all wholesalers that sell to businesses (those with a sales tax license or FFL) at prices sufficient to actually make a few bucks have not been taking new accounts since January of 2013, and then bullet orders are in quantities of drums, like 80K to 200K per drum. Then you have to package them. If he can get components that people actually use, .22, .26, .30, 9mm, .40, 45, it won't matter much the brand at this point in the panic cycle, they will sell. The places that offer little guy orders in retail packaging will offer so little margin (5 to 10%) that he can probably only pick and carry 4 or 5 SKUs unless he has a bunch of money to tie up in non-moving merchandise. Brownells, Midway, etc. run a sale, it will be below his cost on little guy order volumes.

x2 on the 6.5 142 smk .I think there extinct now . more 6.5 140 ,100 and 123 gr. bullets

I pretty much buy nothing but hornady now... anything vmax, amax, and bthp is GTG in my book

A buddy of mine has been selling shooting supplies for awhile now and I've been talking to him about stocking some reloading components and it sounds like he is on board. I know how hard it is to find half the components so I figured I'd ask everyone here what you would buy. Right now I'm just looking for a list of bullets you would buy on a regular basis so I can get him rolling. Brand / Model / Grain

As always the hide would get first dibs on buying supplies he gets in stock.

Thank you